PDA

View Full Version : bizhub c360 drum reset

Custom Search

johva
06-24-2016, 05:22 PM
My service tech installed CMY&K drum chips into a bizhub C360 with no change on the drum life indicator. Any thoughts, please advise.

habik
06-24-2016, 05:45 PM
System error clear.

Byting on bits.

habik
06-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Or D2 firmware and have units in until they fail.

Byting on bits.

MVPunisher
06-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Those drums will last well beyond their intended life cycle. Good model. Eventually you will get color bands, but it is worth it to reset them once.

MVPunisher
06-28-2016, 08:08 PM
As stated above, the chips are unnecessary. You can upgrade the firmware, adjust the stop/no-stop settings and a few dispsws.

Synthohol
06-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Running the risk of having rocks thrown at me, you can always just replace the drum with an oem new drum like the one the customer has been paying for all this time built into the click charge.
Can you extend the life? Sure you can.
So let me understand, the chips were replaced and still did not reset the count? Thats not service, thats a failure plain and simplle.
Were the chips even reset? If so someone needs to fix their chip reset tool.
Are the gold fingers that contact the chip intact?
Did anyone try to swap chips with a different color to see if the copier sees the "wrong iu" installed?
Again im not trying to sound like a douche, I just dont get the concept of resetting chips when the customer is paying for supplies within their click charge
Maybe im just spoiled by the past 3 good companies ive worked for these past 18 years. If it needs it I order it and replace it no questions asked.
One company I left because they were what I considered crooks resetting chips, used parts, ignoring pm messages, aftermarket toner and drums etc...
I just have a hard time looking customers in the eye knowing I was forced to not do the right thing for them that they pay for.
Ive also never been an "independent" tech either so I just dont share that line of thinking.
Anyhow if I have offended anyone I apologize. That was not my intent.

johva
06-28-2016, 08:34 PM
As stated above, the chips are unnecessary. You can upgrade the firmware, adjust the stop/no-stop settings and a few dispsws.

Firmware upgrade and no stop setting I understand buy not familiar with sip switch setting, Please advise. Thanks Johva.

MVPunisher
06-28-2016, 08:39 PM
See to me, it varies from model to model. We have plenty of black and white machines that we keep the drum lights on because we know they fail right on time. However if we know the drums are lasting double their life on that model, why would you replace it? Seems to me you are burning money. I do not work for a bad company but our company does appreciate making them money. Take that one skipped drum cycle by 100 machines and it is a significant amount of $. Developer units, different story, they cause other issues when they fail and take parts out with them.

Like I said though to me it varies by model to model to me. We sell these models used still because we trust them so much. Just my 2 cents.

MVPunisher
06-28-2016, 08:41 PM
"If it needs it I order it and replace it no questions asked."

This is where you are wrong in my opinion for this model. If I know this drum is going to last another 100k color copies, then fact is...it doesn't need it. A message does not mean it "needs it"

emujo
06-28-2016, 08:54 PM
The "run past life" is called PPLM. It wasn't only about money, some customers bought color enabled machines and their color count was near 0, but the color IUs were showing end of life based upon # of rotations. 99% of these rotation were during the warm up cycle, and during the 2 copy cycle it took to get the MFP into the black only running mode. So now the tech is replacing a color IU that was hardly ever used to make a color copy. KM took this into consideration and added this feature to reduce wasteful costs. The philosophy is if it's affecting CQ it gets changed, if they are chirping about the web based indicators, they get changed, if they would just feel better about a new IU/drum, they get changed. Most don't have any issue and I've never heard a customer say "we didn't get what we paid for" Service covers the MFP, some cost more than others, and I'm sure you would agree that the savings can be totally wiped out by one system board replacement that "definitely didn't get hit by lighting, it was a clear day and it just started throwing that code". I think re-chipping is the sneaky way out personally, now you are telling the MFP that you DID replace the drum/IU and now the systems that attempt to control CQ are thrown off by a 0 count, but 25K copies actually on the unit. So which is worse??? Emujo

Synthohol
06-28-2016, 10:34 PM
"If it needs it I order it and replace it no questions asked."

This is where you are wrong in my opinion for this model. If I know this drum is going to last another 100k color copies, then fact is...it doesn't need it. A message does not mean it "needs it"

again i need to apologize for such a broad statement, the place that i quit from chipped everything, even when CQ sucked i was forced to chip it "just to see if that helps"
so that was coming from anger about the past and wasting the customers time and my own. i do turn off end of life stop on the 4 series and i do look at each machine, its use, its environment, the type of paper used etc.. and make a judgement call. i also work on a great deal of production machines and if you do full PMs and replace certain things before they fail, at or near the mfg replacement count, the machines run so much better and longer. machine care and part life should be looked at on a case by case basis and best judgement. BTW, you are totally right, "A message does not mean it "needs it"", i didnt mean to imply i was talking about a message specifically. i was just remembering the past and the frustration when i wanted to order something that was worn the hell out and i was told it was too expensive so just reset the counters and play with the atdc values etc.. so im sorry that came out wrong.

johva
06-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Running the risk of having rocks thrown at me, you can always just replace the drum with an oem new drum like the one the customer has been paying for all this time built into the click charge.

Can you extend the life? Sure you can.
So let me understand, the chips were replaced and still did not reset the count? Thats not service, thats a failure plain and simplle.
Were the chips even reset? If so someone needs to fix their chip reset tool.
Are the gold fingers that contact the chip intact?
Did anyone try to swap chips with a different color to see if the copier sees the "wrong iu" installed?
Again im not trying to sound like a douche, I just dont get the concept of resetting chips when the customer is paying for supplies within their click charge
Maybe im just spoiled by the past 3 good companies ive worked for these past 18 years. If it needs it I order it and replace it no questions asked.
One company I left because they were what I considered crooks resetting chips, used parts, ignoring pm messages, aftermarket toner and drums etc...
I just have a hard time looking customers in the eye knowing I was forced to not do the right thing for them that they pay for.
Ive also never been an "independent" tech either so I just dont share that line of thinking.
Anyhow if I have offended anyone I apologize. That was not my intent.

I have no problem replacing a drum when necessary however, in this case it required a reset and I'll explain my circumstance. This customer purchased this C360 from his next door neighbor that was closing his office. I agreed to a service agreement because he was retiring a machine that we have be serving for many years. The drums and DV units tested good, however the drum life was high. I quoted the contract price plus the cost of resetting the drums. Who know they wouldn't reset? Because of the input I got from this forum I know what to do with the firmware upgrade and the no stop. I want to thank everybody for their advice, you have been a help. Johva.

Tech Helpdesk
07-05-2016, 09:53 AM
I have no problem replacing a drum when necessary however, in this case it required a reset and I'll explain my circumstance. This customer purchased this C360 from his next door neighbor that was closing his office. I agreed to a service agreement because he was retiring a machine that we have be serving for many years. The drums and DV units tested good, however the drum life was high. I quoted the contract price plus the cost of resetting the drums. Who know they wouldn't reset? Because of the input I got from this forum I know what to do with the firmware upgrade and the no stop. I want to thank everybody for their advice, you have been a help. Johva.

Is this is what you are looking for ?

Custom Search