PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP WITH KONICA C284E! Expert advice needed

Custom Search

konicauser
07-04-2016, 08:43 PM
HI ALL!
Joined this forum as a newbie and looking for all your expertise help and advise.
We are having some problems with our KONICA C284E

What started out as a yellow streak down the middle of the page we replaced the Immediate Transfer Belt (£350) thinking this will fix it.
The line was still appearing and we called out an engineer (£150 call out). He advised to replace the drum unit on the yellow unit as it had a scratch on it. Instead of getting the full thing I purchased a brand new black drum unit which is cheaper (£100) and used the old black roller and cleaned the yellow drum with the new roller in. Hooray the line had dissapeared and printing again and I had a new drum unit for the black. It was printing perfectly.
All of sudden one day the toner box was full without sending an error and I could see that the machine was full of yellow! The DEV Unit was leaking toner and the drum. It was a mess. Anyway I decided to buy a new Drum Unit for the Yellow (£250). I know now I shouldn't have I cleaned the DEV UNIT! The top of it was like hair follicles. I cleaned it and put it in. The image printed but yellow was away from the image area. The yellow was away from the print. Wasn't registering. I purchased a new Yellow Dev Unit. No luck still. Yellow is mis-registering. We have had engineers out and they cannot fix it.
Please could someone help!! We have purchased the Yellow Dev Unit, Yellow Drum, Black Drum, New Immediate Transfer Belt. Even have purchased another and the yellow is still mis-registering.

Really have a backlog of jobs and printer is not printing!
Big headache and have spent in £850 in parts and over £600 on engineers.

PLEASE HELP!!!:(:confused::(

srvctec
07-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Ummmm, this is a site for technicians to get information from other technicians NOT a site for users to get free help. It seems that is what you are trying to do. Pardon me if I'm wrong.

"It's time to be CORRECT, NOT politically correct."

-The Truth

copier tech
07-04-2016, 09:20 PM
You have learnt the hard way why 99% of companies have a maintenance agreement on their copiers!
We're highly trained for a reason.

konicauser
07-04-2016, 09:32 PM
We have had machines without maintenance contracts for over 20 years without problems. What is the difference they make? Also if this was the case the company who does the service cannot even figure it out.

blackcat4866
07-04-2016, 09:35 PM
This is the main reason not to use the trial and error method of copier troubleshooting. You can spend a lot of money before accidentally finding the answer.

Just to clarify your commentary, you still have an issue with yellow, presumably dumping the entire yellow toner cartridge into the waste bottle? So after you vacuumed out the developer, there was only toner in the developing unit. If I were in your situation, I would hire a qualified tech. If you cannot do that, you could spend a lot more money, starting with a service manual, toner vacuum, and a yellow developing unit. Follow that with a color calibration.

=^..^=

konicauser
07-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Thanks people for helping. Really appreciate it massively. We've changed the developer units and drums. New transfer belt also. The yellow is off the print area. Like 2mm from image area. Similar to a misregister on a printing press yellow not lining up.
We've had the service people out 4 times but they aren't winning also.

darry1322
07-04-2016, 11:40 PM
It's hard to resolve some issues over an internet medium without you knowing the tech procedures and reasons behind some of the suggestions. Further complicating the issue is not knowing completely what has been done by untrained personnel.

To begin with, remove all drum and developer units along with the ITB. Make sure your machine is clean and pay close attention to the belt sensors. Replace any suspect units. Even if you have replaced them before. Replacing a unit without resolving the underlying problem can lead to the destruction (failure) of the new unit.

Once our machine and sensors are clean and we know the units are good, run each adjustment for print engine registration (calibrations) in the proper order.

At some point you may have to call it a day and replace the machine. The machine is definitely fixable, it just may be cheaper to replace it at this point.

darry1322
07-04-2016, 11:42 PM
We have had machines without maintenance contracts for over 20 years without problems. What is the difference they make? Also if this was the case the company who does the service cannot even figure it out.

The difference is that the technology has changed substantially over the last 20 years and continues to evolve.

subaro
07-05-2016, 04:15 AM
This thread is interesting. So you spent 600 on service engineers and they could not fix it. Wow, this is telling me that the UK techs are not properly trained on this product or they do not want to work on the machine or you are not giving the full details.
What did the engineers say was wrong or what did they suggest ?. From just a line issue on the machine that the techs cannot fix is quite extreme, unless some pwb is messed up. The machine has service modes that does registration adjustment and graduation to correct those sort of problems. Also the machine toner spills if bad will need to be cleaned up.
I would call konica UK and let them recommend a certified konica dealer who are trained on this machine, they should be able to get this going for you.

There is a coffee truck in my work area that has a sign in the rear and goes like this. " IF YOU DON'T EAT, BOTH OF US STARVE ".
Meaning you run a business, and you know your business and get an income from that business. But if you and everyone else also do the carpets, electrical, paint and every other things that there are professionls for, then nobody gets work and all starve. When you get this sorted out, do your home work and get a dealer who is certified on the product and get a service contract.

here is a link to the service manual. download or view at your own risk.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/175359066/Konica-Minolta-Bizhub-C220-C280-C360-SERVICE-MANUAL

copier tech
07-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Yes If you can list exactly what the 4 different engineers have done so far? what parts have they replaced? Did they update the firmware, if so what version is the machine on now?
Can I also ask if you are using genuine Konica Minolta toner?

Elmo
07-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Have you had the machine from new or was it a used machine also what are the counters
are the techs you have had look at the machine trained on Konica and specifically your model
it is very likely you have turned a simple fault into a major one by attempting to fix the machine yourself
and have wasted a lot of money at the same time
google can be a dangerous thing information in the wrong hands can cause more damage than good

i would advise calling a konica dealer in your area and be honest with them tell them exactly what you have done
and hope they can fix your mistakes

fixthecopier
07-05-2016, 11:11 AM
You mentioned having a machine or machines for 20 years without a contract and want to know why you should get one now. This is an example of an issue currently going on in my shop.

Customer buys 2 brand new Bizhub 554e machines. Build both, one has error code c-f902. A quick look up of that code says MFBS board or maybe firmware. Machine will not take firmware. We delivered the good one and have been working on the bad one for 10 days with factory input every day. Have changed everything related to it. Still dead.

This is how complicated new stuff can be. If you had bought this machine and took delivery of it and it coded a few months from now, you would be on your own. That is why you pay for service contracts.

Let me be clear, with a contract the machine would be serviced by qualified personnel but that does not always mean a quick fix. But with a contract, the money spent is ours and a loaner machine would be provided.

TheBlueOrleans
07-06-2016, 01:29 AM
I'm just going to make a wild assumption and figure that SOMEONE has run stabilization, gradation, replaced (not just cleaned) the Y Dev unit, and run toner hopper filling and manual toner add for the yellow.
another question: is this issue on copies only or all pages? If copies, has anyone cleaned the glass?

replacing the Intermediate Transfer Kit first thing definitely sounds like killing a fly with a shotgun.
i'll go with everybody else and highly recommend getting a service contract.

konicauser
07-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Thanks Guys for the replies.

Now changed PWB Board. Still yellow is not registering.
Most components now changed. Please can anyone suggest something else. What everyone seems to not understand is yes it would be better with a service contract but even these guys can't fix it.

The engineer now says try the printhead itself.
What I wish to ask when the engineer took the printhead out it was lose on one end but the screw was tight. Is this like this normally or does it need to be tightly secure.

Synthohol
07-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Hey just to toss my .02c into the mix, konica offers a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.
If an AUTHORIZED konica dealer cannot fix it he has to contact the DSM for that area. If he comes and cannot fix it within 2 or 3 tries konica will replace the whole machine.
Id like to think they do the same across the great pond as they do here in the US.
Look at the mfg date on the serial label behind the machine. If its less than 3 years you are covered.
Good luck.

vsluggo
07-08-2016, 09:29 PM
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten- Benjamin Franklin

HI ALL!
Joined this forum as a newbie and looking for all your expertise help and advise.
We are having some problems with our KONICA C284E

What started out as a yellow streak down the middle of the page we replaced the Immediate Transfer Belt (£350) thinking this will fix it.
The line was still appearing and we called out an engineer (£150 call out). He advised to replace the drum unit on the yellow unit as it had a scratch on it. Instead of getting the full thing I purchased a brand new black drum unit which is cheaper (£100) and used the old black roller and cleaned the yellow drum with the new roller in. Hooray the line had dissapeared and printing again and I had a new drum unit for the black. It was printing perfectly.
All of sudden one day the toner box was full without sending an error and I could see that the machine was full of yellow! The DEV Unit was leaking toner and the drum. It was a mess. Anyway I decided to buy a new Drum Unit for the Yellow (£250). I know now I shouldn't have I cleaned the DEV UNIT! The top of it was like hair follicles. I cleaned it and put it in. The image printed but yellow was away from the image area. The yellow was away from the print. Wasn't registering. I purchased a new Yellow Dev Unit. No luck still. Yellow is mis-registering. We have had engineers out and they cannot fix it.
Please could someone help!! We have purchased the Yellow Dev Unit, Yellow Drum, Black Drum, New Immediate Transfer Belt. Even have purchased another and the yellow is still mis-registering.

Really have a backlog of jobs and printer is not printing!
Big headache and have spent in £850 in parts and over £600 on engineers.

PLEASE HELP!!!:(:confused::(

konicauser
07-10-2016, 04:23 PM
I don't know why people enjoying putting others down.
There is nothing cheap here or something that we doing for cheap!!!
Anyway we have had the PWB Board changed also but no luck!
The thing what seems to throw me of is that you guys all claim to be tech's but even none of you know what this could be even though we have told you what has been changed. So if I want to say anything is that this site and forum isn't helping and don't think much about your tech support. Only a few have been helpful but most are just here to dig people. Makes them feel a bit better I think and showing themselves as being a lot more intelligent than these people with problems. Sad really
The ones who have helped thanks a lot. If there is any idea of what should be the last thing to change. Printhead?

JSC
07-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Hey just to toss my .02c into the mix, konica offers a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.
If an AUTHORIZED konica dealer cannot fix it he has to contact the DSM for that area. If he comes and cannot fix it within 2 or 3 tries konica will replace the whole machine.
Id like to think they do the same across the great pond as they do here in the US.
Look at the mfg date on the serial label behind the machine. If its less than 3 years you are covered.
Good luck.

I work for a 5star Konica Minolta dealer and we only get a 9 month warranty here in the UK..

The thing what seems to throw me of is that you guys all claim to be tech's but even none of you know what this could be even though we have told you what has been changed. So if I want to say anything is that this site and forum isn't helping and don't think much about your tech support. Only a few have been helpful but most are just here to dig people. Makes them feel a bit better I think and showing themselves as being a lot more intelligent than these people with problems. Sad really
The ones who have helped thanks a lot. If there is any idea of what should be the last thing to change. Printhead?

Can you scan and upload an image of the issues you are getting? We might be able to point you in the right direction then.

Synthohol
07-10-2016, 09:51 PM
I work for a 5star Konica Minolta dealer and we only get a 9 month warranty here in the UK..
OMFG! I'm so sorry, i didnt even know the MFG warranty was different across the pond. that's so not fair!

Mr Spock
07-10-2016, 10:12 PM
First not knowing your skill set I am recommending the following be done by trained/certified technician.

Remove the drum and developer units from the machine.
Clean the area inside and the laser slit glass
check the connections on the rear wall for cracks and deformities.
Check the removed units for leaking seals, broken gears.....etc
If either has issues then replace as a set (costly but might be worth it, check date code of new unit and make sure it is less than 3 months old.)
Remove the transfer belt unit and check all connections and the primary transfer roller inside unit.
If all this is good and it still does it then I would replace the following in this order
Hv power supply (run bias and ground to dev and drum units)
engine control pwb
low voltage power supply.
Then all harness between the contacts and the pwb's.

one or more of the above is the issue, it is a matter of finding which one.

Mr Spock
07-10-2016, 10:17 PM
If an AUTHORIZED konica dealer cannot fix it he has to contact the DSM for that area.

I have heard (I do not want to believe it but..) that this is for contract machines. Does not matter if a dealer or KM direct contract but must be under one. If it is a time and materials then it is at discretion of the DSM as to when and if they will visit. If the machine is NOT under contract then they will make suggestions on what to replace but will not replace the machine.

Mr Spock
07-10-2016, 10:23 PM

Comments like this will not make others on here want to help you.
We are not on site we can only go by what you describe. Some one may have seen this before and know what it is that caused it. I have seen this on another line and had several different fixes each time. The steps I outlined above is what I did to fix it. One was fixed by replacing the developer unit others by the HVPS one was the harness from the hvps to the developer contacts. Multiple visits can not be ruled out depending on how quickly it returns.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Elmo
07-11-2016, 09:25 AM
so the fault you are left with is no yellow image

it could be a few things

the printhead(laser) is not writing the image onto the drum

the developer not transfering toner onto the image on the drum

or the image not getting transferred from the drum to the transfer belt

run a copy and open a door to stop the paper half way thru the machine
look at the transfer belt is the yellow image on it if no
look at the yellow drum is the image on it if no
look at the yellow dev unit the mag roller should be covered in developer (the stuff you cleaned off on the previous unit)
this should be yellow if the toner is not getting thru to the developer it will be black in colour
no toner in the developer would cause missing image on that colour
you would expect to get an error code if this is the case but worth checking the developer unit
if yellow developer has toner the it is most likely to be the printhead

konicauser
07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
The issue is yellow is away from the image. Meaning its imaging but it rests away from the image. About 5mm away

Elmo
07-11-2016, 10:20 AM
so your colour registration is out
when you replaced the transfer belt did you clean the id sensors
if after performing auto calibration it is not fixed then you need to check
for anything slowing the yellow image process
are the drum and developer units turning freely and fitted corrrectly
if they are ok then then next step would be to look at the yellow printhead (laser)

Elmo
07-11-2016, 12:26 PM
from the manual

SmellsHot
07-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Did you remember to remove all the packing materials? Sounds like something in the drum is binding up.....Has the technician printed out a color registration sample? If you can upload that image to this site, You'll prolly get an answer to your problem. If your just having a yellow registration issue, and not with the other colors than one would assume that your problem is within the drum unit or laser. A simple color registration adjustment should be able to fix this problem.....

TheBlueOrleans
07-11-2016, 06:55 PM
[WARNING: language contained in this post may be inappropriate for mixed company!]

To infer that some here are being condescending, disrespectful, unprofessional, or worse incompetent and besmirch our technical ability or knowledge is a fantastic way to receive far less assistance than requested.
I will help to the best of my ability, and if I can't fix something I will defer to the knowledge of a more experienced technician (who has no presence on this site) or the company's service support personnel (SSD).
If I do not understand something I will admit so, and I have no shame in admitting that.

Shame is a waste of time.

But to call into question the collective decades of experience by those on this site who voluntarily provided technical advice is in poor taste, in my opinion.

We, in general, are only here to help solve problems.

In the immortal words of Lil' Jon: "Don't start no shit, it won't be no shit."

Having said that, I truly hope that someone here has provided you with the technical help you sought and helped solve your yellow registration issue.

Have a day. (That's no pressure to have a good day, in case the day you're having just happens to be terrible.)
:cool:

Don N.
07-06-2017, 01:05 AM
Just dropping in & may have missed something, but highly suspect the laser print head got bumped or affected in some way during the aforementioned job gone awry. Too many wrong turns. I'm lost, but I saw no mention of inspecting/adjusting/remounting the laser & connection?

copier tech
07-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Just dropping in & may have missed something, but highly suspect the laser print head got bumped or affected in some way during the aforementioned job gone awry. Too many wrong turns. I'm lost, but I saw no mention of inspecting/adjusting/remounting the laser & connection?

I imagine that in over a year this issue has been rectified by now

Don N.
07-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Really nice to be apprised of the solution.

Custom Search