PDA

View Full Version : LED's on Ethernet Port

Custom Search

copierwhisper
07-14-2016, 01:21 AM
After having some sort of Internet problems the customer could not print or scan from the C364e. The port that the Ethernet cable (http://skimlinks.pgpartner.com/mrdr.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fskimlinks.pgpartner.com% 2Fsearch.php%2Fform_keyword%3Dethernet%2Bcable) was plugged into at the wall was dead (it had been working), I plugged the cable into a working jack and set the machine to Auto DHCP, the machine will not pick up any networking information. At the machine's Ethernet jack there is a blinking amber and solid green light. Could the logic board been damaged or any ideas what the blinking amber light represents?

blackcat4866
07-14-2016, 01:31 AM
I'm not ready to blame the MFP yet. A lot of networks do not assign DHCP addresses. Personally I would suspect a DNS server problem, but I'm sure there's someone more knowledgeable than me that can speak to that topic.

What happens if you plug your laptop into the network port? Does it pick up an address?

If you go to one of the computers > bring up a command prompt > ipconfig/all > get the Subnet, Gateway, and DNS.
Then go to the print driver > Properties > Preferences > Ports > and get the IP for the printer.
Then enter that IP, Subnet, Gateway, and DNS at the MFP (static).

=^..^=

Synthohol
07-14-2016, 04:34 AM
i just hook my laptop right to the machine configure IPs and print & scan stuff.
if it works fine i show the customer and they have to get their network fixed.
solid green means its connected to a switch or some other live endpoint.
flashing amber means its trying to communicate at 10 or 100tx speed. if it was flashing green thats a gigabit speed connection.

emujo
07-15-2016, 08:01 PM
I would try a couple of things...1st, like the previous post, try hooking your laptop up and verify you can pull an address. (DHCP Status can be found at any workstation with an IPconfig/all). Assuming your laptop can acquire and address, then it's time to verify the MFP NIC is working by connecting directly to it with your laptop and test printing. I have seen NICs go bad due to surges that blow the protection fuses, you will still get a connect light, but the data doesn't make it past the NIC. If you can print to the MFP, then the NIC is probably good. I would look at the cabling to the jack, or possibly a duplicate IP address somewhere. Emujo

copierwhisper
07-15-2016, 09:33 PM
As expected the machine is fine. Laptop hooked up and printed no problem. Turns out there were four Ethernet jacks in one wall outlet, one was totally dead and the other were malfunctioning so the machine could not pick up the network information. When I connected to a port on another wall the machine connected and resumed printing/scanning. Now the rest is in the hands of their IT company. Thanks for all the ideas and feedback everyone!

peter42
07-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks for information.
Thats why i ever have 20 m/60 foot ethernet line in my bag.
Connecting mfp to a outlet next room has rescued me often for blaming me or machine.

Custom Search