PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Access Techrep / Service Mode?

Custom Search

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I need to turn off (disable) the fax board option on our C450. However I cannot gain access to the service mode. I hold the utility button down while I power up the machine and reset the error code but the error code returns the next time time a start the machine.

Below are entires from the service manual. Unfortunatly I cannot gain access to the service mode using item #4 "Press STOP, 0, 0, STOP, 0, 1" because the C-B003 or C-B051 Fax Board error codes freeze the entire machine at startup and won't accept any additional commands.

Can anyone please tell me how to turn off the fax board option so we can use our machine?

----------------------------------------------------------

How to access Service Mode.
Solution
To access the Service Mode, please perform the following:
1. Turn the main power switch OFF.
2. Turn the main power switch ON while holding the 'utility' button.
3. On the LCD screen push the trouble reset button.
4. Press STOP, 0, 0, STOP, 0, 1.
5. Enter Password: 12345678 and Click on END.

Unable to access techrep mode.
Solution
To access the techrep mode please perform the following:
1. Turn the main power switch off.
2. Turn the main power switch on while holding the "utility" button.
3. On the LCD screen push the trouble reset button.
4. Press STOP,0,0,STOP,0,1.
5. On the password screen enter 92729272.

How to perform trouble reset (to reset a trouble code).
Solution
To perform trouble reset, do the following:
1. Turn OFF Main Power Switch.
2. Turn Main Power Switch ON while pressing the Utility/Counter key.
3. Touch [Trouble Reset].
4. Check to make sure [OK] is on the display.
5. Turn OFF the Main Power Switch and wait 10 seconds, then power the unit ON.

deep
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
The Fax Board just liked any PnP device. It's simply unplug it and the error message will be gone.

ebm
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
The proper way to access the tech rep mode is to call a qualified technician. I agree with "pepper38 cnd" who recommended in your other post to call a technician. The price to have a qualified technician look the machine over is well worth it if you only paid $1,500 to buy it. Of course, now you probably regret not "test driving" it before you paid for it. But, $1,500 is a good price and hard to pass up for this model. Spend a little more money and get some qualified help before this problem escalates to the point of no return and you're left with a $1,500 paper weight.

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I contacted four service companies that all charge between $135 and $200 to visit our shop. They said they could, based on the error code, fix the machine within 1 minute.

They simple access the service panel and turn off the fax board.

Although we got a good price on the printer, it's a hard decision to pay $135 when, if lucky, someone will simply tell us what buttons to push to turn off the fax board.

cobiray
07-08-2008, 11:02 PM
If they are only going to be there for a minute and you are paying for the first hour, you might want to have them give the machine a once over. If I'm going to a billable call I'll at least wipe the machine down, clean the rollers etc.

wagon
07-08-2008, 11:23 PM
^^^^^^ x2. Don't be a tightwad.

nmfaxman
07-08-2008, 11:44 PM
You would be out $130.00, but you would have an operational machine and a profesional diagnosis as to how good a deal you got and you wouldn't be wasting time waiting for an answer you may not get.
Penny wise, dollar stupid.

Ctl-Alt-Del
07-09-2008, 12:42 AM
If they are only going to be there for a minute and you are paying for the first hour, you might want to have them give the machine a once over. If I'm going to a billable call I'll at least wipe the machine down, clean the rollers etc.

Agreed! You could use a real tech, its worth the money.

Tonerbomb
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
And that real tech is going to fix your machine get you back online and you'll start making money with the machine again.... what's wrong with this picture?????
It takes money to make money!! Spend it, make it!!!!!!

fixthecopier
07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
If you got the machine for such a good deal and have not been able to use it, there may be other problems you have not seen yet. When you get the fax code cleared, you may be back here trying to clear image quality problems or other codes. You may not think we are playing nice but the truth is you are getting good advice. Most of us have delt with the customer who tries to fix it themselves and causes more damage, like reseating a fax board with the machine plugged in. There are parts of your machine that will cost $500 to $1500 to replace if you damage. Those 4 drums are around $525 each and the transfer belt is $600, and if you blow a board you will be singing the blues. If your problem were that simple, you would be running by now. Call a tech!

paul bristol uk
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but it says at the top of the page
AN ONLINE COMMUNITY FOR COPIER,PRINTER,AND FAX TECHNICIANS

So what are the general public and end users doing cluttering up the Forums?

Is it possible to have clarification of this?

bgbas
07-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Amen brother, this sight has lost a lot of its appeal for the reasons you mention.I don't visit it as often as I used to.

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-11-2008, 04:32 AM
I have received many suggestions from qualifed techs on this board. It is the same advice that I have found in the service manual.

Once I get to the correct screen I hit "stop 0 0 stop 0 1" to acces the contro panel but nothing happens.

Had a tech visit today and he went through the same series of button pushing without success. (Thankfully he didn't charge us for the service call).

He was very impressed by the condition of the machine as it's practically brand new however he was dumb founded as to why he couldn't access the control panel.

Is there another way to access the control panel on the C450 besides the following:

1) Turn Main Power On
2) Hit The Utility Button
3) Press Details Bottom
4) Hit "stop 0 0 stop 0 1 (quickly 10 seconds or less)

This does not work on our C450.

So my question is:

Is there an alternative method for a qualified Konica Minolta Technician to access the control panel?

fixthecopier
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
If your machine is locked up as you describe, then the problem is most likely in the firmware of the machine. You could have bad nvram. If this is the case then you will have to have a Konica Minolta tech , because only they will be able to acess the company site to get firmware upgrades. Sometimes connections and boards can be reseated to fix odd problems, we just don't know. I have had a machine lock up like yours is. To unlock it I had to bleed down the battery on the nvram board and reflash it. The machine worked for 2 weeks and then locked into an abort code that required me to change the nvram. Most techs knew when they saw you could not get into tech mode by pushing the buttons that it could go this way. The tech you had look at the machine could not have been a KM tech or he would have told you all of this. Call A KONICA MINOLTA TECH. If the boards are bad you may pay up to another grand to make copies. Good Luck!

pepper38_cnd
07-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Mr Tampa Bay

You now have a $1500 Boat Anchor which is not not likely to get any better without a few hours work and some very expensive parts. Having said that, you have nothing to loose in trying this.

With the error on the display, hit the following keys in succession:

stop 0 7 1 3 9 * then follow screen instruction.
(this is supposed to reset error locks in NVRAM)

if you get a response, do this 29 more times, then try tech rep mode to disable fax.

If all else fails see if you can sell it to a dealer as a parts machine you may get $300 bucks for it if your lucky.

cobiray
07-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm with Fix, get a KM tech in to look at it. Here's the sight to find one.

Sales/Service Locator Search | Konica Minolta Business Solutions, U.S.A., Inc. (http://www.mykonicaminolta.com/salesservicelocator/Locator.jsf)

Good luck!

rkaufmann64
07-18-2008, 02:24 AM
I know on the Konica C350 or Kyocera KM2230 you have to access the utility and enter the utility counter then hit stop 00 stop 01. We are here to help and recieve help.

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I visited the Tampa KM website and had two seperate visits from different techs and neither could access the service panel using "stop 00 stop 01"

I found that when I select the number of copies by pushing any button on the numeric pad, I have to push the button a couple extra times.

Here is an example.

Let's say I want to make 10 copies. I push the "1" key once, nothing! Push it again, the digit 1 is displayed. Then I push "0" as if to print 10 copies. Again, nothing. Push it again, nothing, push it again, Ahh... the 0 comes up and the number 10 is now displayed.

The keypad shows no damage and has a tactile click to all the keys.

Are we dealing with a firmware problem here?

wagon
07-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Swallow your pride, open your wallet and call another Konica Minolta technician. I think this problem is way beyond an 'internet fix', unfortunately.

Ozzy
07-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Are we dealing with a firmware problem here?

Probably not

nmfaxman
07-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Let's say I want to make 10 copies. I push the "1" key once, nothing! Push it again, the digit 1 is displayed. Then I push "0" as if to print 10 copies. Again, nothing. Push it again, nothing, push it again, Ahh... the 0 comes up and the number 10 is now displayed.

The number 1 is always displayed.
Does the machine beep when you push the buttons?
If not, you have a BAD keyboard!
Call a tech to replace it.

PS: I don't believe you have had a tech look at it at all.
Even a ROOKIE tech can tell when the keyboard is bad.

rkaufmann64
07-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Do you have a fax line hooked up to the machine we had a bizhub 250 that had a bad mainboard and when a fax was plugged into the fax modem all kinds of errors came up. We replaced the modem board nada unplugged the fax everything worked except the fax of course; This sounds like a control panel or possible a main board issue.

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-18-2008, 06:02 AM
I assure you that we have had two individual techs from two different companies visit our location to service our Konica Minolta C450. Here are the companies listed on the KM website:

Here is a list of authorized Konica Minolta sales/service locations near the zip code you entered.Company:

http://www.mykonicaminolta.com/salesservicelocator/arrow.gif DEX IMAGING, INC. (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)Sells/services Konica-branded, Minolta-branded, and Konica Minolta products.Company:

http://www.mykonicaminolta.com/salesservicelocator/arrow.gif IMAGIK OFFICE EQUIPMENT, INC. (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)Sells/services Minolta-branded and Konica Minolta products.Company:

http://www.mykonicaminolta.com/salesservicelocator/arrow.gif KONICA MINOLTA BUSINESS SOLUTIONS U.S.A., INC. (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)Sells/services Minolta-branded and Konica Minolta products.Company:

http://www.mykonicaminolta.com/salesservicelocator/arrow.gif KONICA MINOLTA DANKA IMAGING COMPANY (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)Sells/services Konica-branded, Minolta-branded, and Konica Minolta products.

Imagik sent the first tech. He left without charging us a service call fee because he couldn't access the service panel. Apparently, without access to the service panel, there is no way to diagnose the machiine on location. But you can call Konica Minolta directly and ask for Edwin if you have any questions about our machine. They maintained the service contract from when the copier was purchased on March 4th, 2006 till last month. Thankfully both service calls didn't cost us since no one can figure out what's wrong with our copier.

(Keep in mind that the machine only has 31k on the counter of which 28k are B/W copies.)

Thankfully someone from this forum contacted me and has offered to pickup the machine and take it to his shop and fix he problem. I'm not sure if I should mention his name but he seems to be the only person I have spoken to that has the knowledge and resources (he has a couple spare C250's to swap parts) to fix our machine for a reasonable price.

This saga may soon end on a happy note ;-)

fixthecopier
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Everybody who has been reading this thread would like to see this machine fixed and would like to know what the problem is. Myself and others reading your last post are wondering how techs from KM dealers can get away with saying they don't know what is wrong and just leave your business. I do not know about others but I would not be able to do that. What did thier district service rep say when they called him? He is the factory rep. That would have been the next step from a KM tech. It was probably a misprint but you said someone had some BZC250's to use for parts. I'm sure he knows these machines don't use the same parts. Good Luck.

Also a field service manual would not tell you how to fix your machine. It will tell you what the codes mean and how to take it apart, but anybody here knows that if you buy parts based on what that book says, you will waste a lot of money. The service manual does not take into account the real world. A real tech knows that book is correct about 10 to 15% of the time. It is only a guide for people who should already know what they are doing. That is why the companies don't sell them in book stores. And you can't get firmware out of that book.

DarthAlbin
07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
1) KONICA MINOLTA BUSINESS SOLUTIONS U.S.A., INC. (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)Sells/services Minolta-branded and Konica Minolta products.Company:

would be your best source for service. Have a talk with the service manager regarding quality of diagnosis and service. If your paying for 1 hour of service, get 1 hour of service.

2) I think the moderators of this board should consider not allowing instructions on how to access tech-rep mode and NVRAM resetting procedures. These are restricted to trainind technicians for very good reasons. Advise can be given to trained techs here without giving those details. Trained technicians should know this info anyway. This Tampa Bay guy was back here with another problem (this thread). How do we know that he's not inducing issues caused by his use of information gained here and through an improperly aquired Service Manual?

MFPs cannot be fixed by amatures if only those amatures had passcodes. Even certified electronics technicians should do ride-alongs when new to these machines.

My continued assistance here depends on the moderators keeping tech-rep and passcode information secure as it should be.

deep
07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I think everyone have the right to speak anything that is constructive and reasonable.

DarthAlbin
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
One could argue that the public disclosure of closely guarded service information is a violation of agreements between manufacturer's and dealers. The information being disclosed in this thread is priviledged information. the manufacturer never intended this information to be open to the public. And for very good reason.

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
1) KONICA MINOLTA BUSINESS SOLUTIONS U.S.A., INC. (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)Sells/services Minolta-branded and Konica Minolta products.Company:

would be your best source for service. Have a talk with the service manager regarding quality of diagnosis and service.

Believe me, we have had extensive discussions with Edwin who is the service manager at KONICA MINOLTA BUSINESS SOLUTIONS U.S.A., INC. (http://participant.mykonicaminolta.com/eprise/main/content/templates/publicTempNavigation#)

deep
07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
One could argue that the public disclosure of closely guarded service information is a violation of agreements between manufacturer's and dealers. The information being disclosed in this thread is priviledged information. the manufacturer never intended this information to be open to the public. And for very good reason.

It could be argued and it can be a never ending argue on who's right and who's wrong. I think we should stop here.

deep
07-18-2008, 07:23 PM

It could be argued and it can be a never ending argue on who's right and who's wrong. I think we should stop here.

popcornpuppy
07-18-2008, 07:25 PM
try going into tech rep mode then i think its under system 1, option board status, then you can unset the fax option

geardriven
07-18-2008, 09:07 PM
well you are forgetting that i have to pay my tech for the drive out and back also pay for the gas .and everything else that goes with running the buss. so its not a that they are trying to rip you off you are paying for there expert advice and service

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm more then willing to pay for a Techs time, gas, and professional diagnosis of the problem. That is why the service request was made in the first place. What do you do when the Tech tells you he can't diagnosis the machine because the service panel is inaccessible?

How would you feel if an Air Conditioner Technician visited your home only to tell you that he dosen't have a clue what's wrong but hands you a $185 bill for the service call?

BTW - The error codes (C-B003, C-B116, and C-B051) all point to the fax board and the solution is to unseat the board. However, I'm told this is imposssible without being able to access the control panel / tech mode.

DarthAlbin
07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Any (half-decent) technician should be able to properly begin diagnosis of a service code considering the panel is not defective. If the panel is defective it could be contributing to the symptom and is itself a diagnosis.

If I read your previous posts correctly it sounds like the fax board was reseated with the power on. When the board was re seated the beep was heard at the control panel. If that is the case, it is concievable that what originated as a simple fax isolation solution was elevated to a control panel inoperability condition.

If I was paying for a technician to come out I would have him give me a complete rundown of what the initial costs would be. Just based on what you told me I would price the cost of the control panel and labor. (This is without even being able to look at the control panel much less use it). Once the control panel is operational, I would remove the Fax board (with the main switch off and power cable removed) and enter tech-rep mode to "unset" the fax board. If you require the fax board I would quote the price of the fax board. These things should be able to be done by the KMBS branch technician. If the Branch technician is unable to do that rudimentary analysis, I would request the Service Manager come out and demand no charge for technical incompitance and get an honest apraisal of the situation.

I personally agree with your frustration. Even if the technician points the root cause of your current headache to your hot-insertion of a circuit board you should be given an honest quote to get your machine running. I don't doubt that if you got that, that you would write the check and have your machine back.

Tampa Bay Graphics
07-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the reasonable and positive reply. Many poople have attacked me as though I'm trying to fix the machine myself or that I'm looking to have the machine fixed for free. I understand that there will be a cost involved with having our copier fixed. I'm simply trying to find someone who has experience with the Konica Minolta C450 and has possibly seen the same errors in other C450's.

BTW - The error codes (C-B003, C-B116, and C-B051) were all present before we removed and reseated the fax board.

DarthAlbin
07-18-2008, 11:22 PM
I know. That's why I said a simple fax board issue was elevated to a larger issue. In the future to prevent these headaches always turn off then unplug before any disconnection.

good luck

deep
07-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Up to now, I suggest to find a reliable dealer to have an overall check and ask them to quote you the price for labor charge and the charge for replacement parts (if any). If you feel reasonable, let them go on.

It seems it is a tough case to handle in the field. If possible, let them collect your machine to their workshop. It will save the travelling time and have more time to check it more detail.

popcornpuppy
07-19-2008, 01:35 PM
it sounds to me that you need to remove the mount kit, its a kit that enables the machine to have a fax kit fitted. If you have a mount kit fitted but no fax then you will possibly get error codes. Also it might be an idea to turn the machine on with the right hand door open, then keep it open while you go into tech rep mode to disable the fax option. This way the machine won't fully boot up and give you the code, it will just display "please close door." Press utility, details, stop, 0, 0, stop, 0, 1 then press 00000000, machine (or state confirm depending on firmware) option board, then unset the fax option, hope this helps

08-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Did you ever get this POS up and running?

Custom Search