PDA

View Full Version : WTF! It can't be this hard to install Firmware

Custom Search

copyman
09-14-2016, 12:42 AM
I have never liked firmware and firmware has never liked me! Does anyone else have issues when installing firmware. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I have tried different brands & size flash drives and followed instructions in service manual.

I have to be doing something wrong, here is the procedure I tried to update a C224.

I downloaded the latest F/W, extract to folder my desktop, I click on that folder and there are 3 things inside, another folder labeled with same F/W version but (00) at the end, a folder labeled "cw" and something labeled "mktar_Zeus.bat"
I click on the folder with (00) at end and there is a lot of bin files etc, I go to view and select all, then copy all those files on flash drive. I don't copy the other 2 things to flash drive.

Yes I'm using service port behind metal plate on copier. I have tried 1gb,2gb, 8gb, 32gb, all different brands and formatted FAT32. Also tried a different PC with same procedure.

It can't be this hard to do.

Really appreciate if someone can explain in detail exact procedure to download & update F/W using flash drive.

Thanks in advance

Synthohol
09-14-2016, 12:45 AM
what machine? nevermind.
yes c224 you do what you just said. all the files in the 00 folder go on the root of the drive.
make sure the drives are formatted fat32.

blackcat4866
09-14-2016, 12:47 AM
It sounds exactly like what I do. At what point is it failing? =^..^=

Woxner
09-14-2016, 12:53 AM
make sure nothing else is on the drive

copyman
09-14-2016, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the replies.

all flash drives formatted FAT 32 right before writing firmware to it. I thought maybe it was because I was using Win XP on my shop PC. But also tried Win 7 on my office PC.

After inserting flash drive into usb port behind metal plate and powering on a few different things have happend, display stays blank for a long time then basic screen appears and message something like media was detected, same message if you insert USB into a regular USB port. Another time with different flash drive pillars come up on screen and dot appears in upper right corner of display and just freezes.

By the way, nothing wrong with this C224. Just have a few in the shop and wanted to get this firmware problem taken care of once and for all!

Thanks again

copyman
09-14-2016, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the replies.

all flash drives formatted FAT 32 right before writing firmware to it. I thought maybe it was because I was using Win XP on my shop PC. But also tried Win 7 on my office PC.

After inserting flash drive into usb port behind metal plate and powering on a few different things have happend, display stays blank for a long time then basic screen appears and message something like media was detected, same message if you insert USB into a regular USB port. Another time with different flash drive pillars come up on screen and dot appears in upper right corner of display.

By the way, nothing wrong with this C224. Just have a few in the shop and wanted to get this firmware problem taken care of once and for all!

Thanks again

blackcat4866
09-14-2016, 02:26 AM
So it's not able to identify the firmware files on the drive.

I had something similar to this happen on a C368 with the intermittent CD011 errors. The previous tech had attempted to load firmware several times with no success. I was attempting to load the recovery firmware. It would get to two pillars and the black dot, then just sit there ... perhaps forever. I didn't have that much patience left after 15 minutes.

The bulletin for the Recovery Firmware suggests a few things:
1) Reforming HDD ground leaf spring
2) Reseat MFPB connectors.
3) Replace HDD.
4) Replace MFPB.

I did the first two. I bent the leaf spring for better contact. If I had been better prepared I would have added a HDD ground wire. I also re-seated the MFPB connectors.

Then the machine booted to the firmware screen and loaded the recovery firmware without a hitch.

So maybe you'd try improving the HDD ground, and re-seating the MFPB connectors. If that didn't work, then the HDD. =-^..^=

cordless12
09-14-2016, 02:58 AM
I had this problem on the C224 and it was the SSD board.
MThe manager had to order this from Konica parts as it does not have a specific part number.
Once once this is replaced you can reload the firmware...

So it's not able to identify the firmware files on the drive.

I had something similar to this happen on a C368 with the intermittent CD011 errors. The previous tech had attempted to load firmware several times with no success. I was attempting to load the recovery firmware. It would get to two pillars and the black dot, then just sit there ... perhaps forever. I didn't have that much patience left after 15 minutes.

The bulletin for the Recovery Firmware suggests a few things:
1) Reforming HDD ground leaf spring
2) Reseat MFPB connectors.
3) Replace HDD.
4) Replace MFPB.

I did the first two. I bent the leaf spring for better contact. If I had been better prepared I would have added a HDD ground wire. I also re-seated the MFPB connectors.

Then the machine booted to the firmware screen and loaded the recovery firmware without a hitch.

So maybe you'd try improving the HDD ground, and re-seating the MFPB connectors. If that didn't work, then the HDD. =-^..^=

copyman
09-14-2016, 03:14 AM
I have another C224 in the shop I'll try that. Both machines couldn't have an issue accepting firmware.

For the heck of it I updated the F/W on a C220 in my shop. No issues, used the same brand new 2gb flash drive. Formatted and put the one ".tar" file on it and everything went fine. Just seems like the "4" series I'm having trouble with. It has to be something with what I'm copying to the flash. Is the yellow folder labeled "msc" inside the C224 base firmware suppose to be copied onto flash?

Woxner
09-14-2016, 03:38 AM
when you open the folder that ends in (00) copy all files including the msc. no need to open the msc file. the file outside the (00) folder are not used. just make sure the usb is blank could take several minutes to come up. turn off main sw insert usb turn on main sw. leave panel sw alone. it ends up being about 436 files

mx6turbo89
09-14-2016, 03:39 AM
Is the yellow folder labeled "msc" inside the C224 base firmware suppose to be copied onto flash?

Yes, the 'msc' folder should be on the root of the flash drive, along with all the other individual files from within the 'A1610Y0-F000-G00-72(00)' folder.

copyman
09-14-2016, 04:19 AM
That is what I did, I included that msc folder. I copied & pasted everything in (00), tried "send to", "move files", etc.. All the ways I tried writing to flash were successful and the same files were on the flash drive when I checked.

Firmware and I go way back. Without sounding too stupid I always struggled with Kon/Min firmware for some reason. It all started with the C250, C253 and those damn compact flash cards:confused:. Got better with C220 now having trouble again. Mostly every machine I get from wholesaler needs the movie data put back in. Never had a problem with installing movie data.

Thanks again

Synthohol
09-14-2016, 04:40 AM
what brand stick are you using? the ones with the stupid hidden software are garbage, they try to push the autorun crap before the actual boot firmware.

wseyller
09-14-2016, 05:03 AM
Yeah it is more forgiving with the C220 and 223 series using the tar files. The 4 and 4e series are a bit more unforgiving. Some usb drive work better than others.

I have had some drives that would work perfectly for the 4 and 4e series but then it wouldn't after I used it for something else possibly. In those case I remember that I tried to reformat it with the quick format but that didn't help. In those cases I had to do a full format with fat32 to eventually make it work. But then with some usb sticks even that didn't work. Eventually you go through enough sticks that you just find some (and I have many sticks) that just work no matter what and you just always trust them for certain situations.

other than that, it sounds like you are doing everything correct.

Another option if you were desperate is to load the firmware via FTP. That is what the mktar_Zeus.bat file is for. You just drag the folder for example "A2X00Y0-F000-G00-72(00)" onto that .bat file and it will create a tar file. Of course you can't use that tar file on the usb stick like the C220 & 223 series but it can be used to load the firmware via FTP using ISW.

copyman
09-14-2016, 05:29 AM
I agree it has to be the Flash drives are the problem. The few I tried today were the cheap ones. I tried a full format on them and that didn't help. Think you are right about the crap loaded on the cheap flash drives. I guess formatting doesn't remove it?

What brand flash drives have you had success with? Now that I think of it the reason I got the cheap ones is I couldn't find 1 or 2gb brand name. The service manual says to use 2gb or less, how critical is the size?

Thanks

mrwho
09-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Just a tip from a Ricoh-tech that used to be a KM tech (meaning it's been a long time since I've last updated a KM machine):

Try to completely erase the flash drive's partition (Right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management or using any Partition Management software - Be VERY careful not to erase any other partition on your computer or you'll lose everything there) and then create a FAT32 partition from scratch on the thumb drive.

Maybe that'll help...

mx6turbo89
09-14-2016, 01:15 PM
What brand flash drives have you had success with? Now that I think of it the reason I got the cheap ones is I couldn't find 1 or 2gb brand name. The service manual says to use 2gb or less, how critical is the size?

Thanks

We use only Kingston brand flash drives, specifically the 8G and 16G sizes; never a problem even after repeated wiping and rewriting and have never had to format the drives.

blackcat4866
09-14-2016, 03:11 PM
In my travels I have come across a SanDisk web based utility specifically designed to remove any disk management software. Maybe that's what you need.
=^..^=

copier addict
09-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Drop the file marked "CW" into the one marked "mktar_Zeus.bat" and it will create a .tar file. Put this on the thumb drive with the large file you initially put on.
This should allow the firmware to load on the machine.

copyman
09-15-2016, 01:19 AM
Finally got it to work. Think it was the flash drives I was using. Tried installing the firmware with copier addict's trick and it didn't work on 1, 2, or 4 GB's cheap flash drives. It didn't even recognize and booted right to basic screen. Finally tried a SanDisk 32GB and it worked. So much for cheap flash drives and K/M saying to use 2GB or less!

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

PS, I don't think I'll ever like firmware:cool:

Brett GS
09-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Finally got it to work. Think it was the flash drives I was using. Tried installing the firmware with copier addict's trick and it didn't work on 1, 2, or 4 GB's cheap flash drives. It didn't even recognize and booted right to basic screen. Finally tried a SanDisk 32GB and it worked. So much for cheap flash drives and K/M saying to use 2GB or less!

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

PS, I don't think I'll ever like firmware:cool:

I have used a sandisk 8 gig cruzer blade and works fine for me.

copier addict
09-15-2016, 07:39 PM
I have used a sandisk 8 gig cruzer blade and works fine for me.

I use a cheapy staples relay 8GB and it always works

copyman
09-17-2016, 01:29 PM
When you write new firmware onto a flash drive that already has F/W on it do you format it every time before writing new F/W? Or just delete it off flash drive then write new F/W?

Thanks

blackcat4866
09-17-2016, 02:23 PM
When you write new firmware onto a flash drive that already has F/W on it do you format it every time before writing new F/W? Or just delete it off flash drive then write new F/W?

Thanks

Formatting once is fine. Just delete off old files, copy on new files. =^..^=

copyman
09-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

mx6turbo89
09-22-2016, 02:49 AM
Just came across this and thought it might be useful to someone:

Approved USB Drives for KM machines:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7yv6k48ls1yst0/Approved%20USB%20Drives.PDF?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7yv6k48ls1yst0/Approved%20USB%20Drives.PDF?dl=0)

habik
09-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Just a tip from a Ricoh-tech that used to be a KM tech (meaning it's been a long time since I've last updated a KM machine):

Try to completely erase the flash drive's partition (Right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management or using any Partition Management software - Be VERY careful not to erase any other partition on your computer or you'll lose everything there) and then create a FAT32 partition from scratch on the thumb drive.

Maybe that'll help...

This is what I am now doing every time I want to format the USB sticks. (since I started using VM on mac)

And today I had a very interesting thing.

When machine was hooked to network and is running on papercut. I tried loading firmware using the same stick I used yesterday on C454e today on the same model. And guess what. During loading. It managed to load ADF and Scanner and on Saddle stitch it gave N.G.2 and froze.

after about 25min I switched machine off and unplugged network. Re-formatted USB using the above method, copied firmware, plugged it in, switched machine on and within 3 minutes it came with usual firmware boot screen. Loaded firmware no problem.

So either network have to be unplugged or something happened to the stick in the last 24hrs.

blackcat4866
09-22-2016, 11:47 PM
... So either network have to be unplugged or something happened to the stick in the last 24hrs.

For one thing I always disconnect the network when doing firmware, or even color calibration. It's extremely annoying for print jobs to boot you out of your desired screen. It's also entertaining to watch the ever growing group of visitors staring at the exit tray, but unwilling to ask.

For another, maybe the MFP just needed a second attempt. =^..^=

habik
09-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Just FYI. When deleting USB files on mac it keeps cash of the files until you format it. So you can delete only so many times then it flonks you out that there is no space despite nothing being on the stick.

Byting on bits.

TheBlueOrleans
09-23-2016, 01:37 PM
This branch uses Kingston 8Gb USB "thumb drives" and those things take a lot of abuse before failing.
I've accidentally washed more than one in the past five years, and after letting them air dry they've worked fine.
I don't format every time. I just check existing files, see if I need to keep them, if not I delete them all (shift+delete) and then move the necessary files to the root of the drive.
I also have a personal preference: I take the firmware folder, cut out all the contents and paste them to the root of the drive in addition to the (now empty) named firmware folder, depending on which machine is getting the firmware. (C35 has a dedicated 4Gb drive because of the specific requirements for firmware on that model.) That empty folder helps me remember exactly what firmware is on the drive, eliminating over-cautiousness in deleting and reinstalling the same files because I wasn't sure.
Technically the empty folder can be named anything and it shouldn't affect the firmware download to the machine. Sometimes I'll rename the empty folder "G00-K6" or something similar, for ease of recognition.
Works for me. Might not work for you. Don't really know. Other sentence fragments. It's Friday.

DadO
10-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Talking about Cards and firmwares...Does anybody remember how to fix compact flash 128 MB card?
I have SanDisk 128 mb card for upgrading firmware on c252/352 series and works fine but tried to upgrade firmware on C451/650 whit same card and always got black screen ( i wait for 5 mins but nothing happen) Tried via Cygwin and KM imaging toolkit

emujo
10-03-2016, 05:54 PM
You need to use a hex editor program to overwrite the card with all 0s. This will remove the windows format and allow you to write to the card with the firmware imaging toolkit. I have also heard that using a camera to format the card will install the necessary vxworks format, but I have never tried this. Emujo

Custom Search