PDA

View Full Version : Fax Forwarding

Custom Search

copiman
09-30-2016, 01:04 PM
I have a 300i and a 4500i. I need to set up fax forwarding to an email address (Yahoo). First of all, is this possible on these models and where would I find set up directions? I have been looking and will continue to look but I have to give the customer an answer this morning? They are kinda pushy.

I did however run across discussions that indicated that fax forwarding to SMB was a better option. I have never done this and would like some input on this if possible.

copiman
09-30-2016, 01:44 PM
I found it. This may be helpful to others.

https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.co.za/index/document_solutions/_how_to__videos.html

Still would like to get input of pros and cons of forward to email vs folder. Internet goes down kills the forward to email which makes forwarding to folder more appealing. Anything else I may be missing?

tmaged
09-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Not sure, but I'm guessing the 300i doesn't support SSL or TLS if it's needed to connect to Yahoo's server. The 3500i does have it.

Santander
10-02-2016, 02:47 AM
I found it. This may be helpful to others.

https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.co.za/index/document_solutions/_how_to__videos.html

Still would like to get input of pros and cons of forward to email vs folder. Internet goes down kills the forward to email which makes forwarding to folder more appealing. Anything else I may be missing?

The plus to forwarding to a folder via SMB is the size limit that is imposed by some email servers. Unless the network admin has imposed a size limit on the folder the forwarded faxes are sent to via SMB, it will accept all files forwarded to it. Forwarding faxes via email will run up against what ever size limitations the email server has on it. We prefer to use forwarding faxes via SMB as this has proven the most reliable, we have one unit setup to send via SMB that forwards nearly 200 faxes a day that typically range from 10 to 30 pages per fax!

blackcat4866
10-02-2016, 03:27 AM
... Forwarding faxes via email will run up against what ever size limitations the email server has on it. We prefer to use forwarding faxes via SMB as this has proven the most reliable, we have one unit setup to send via SMB that forwards nearly 200 faxes a day that typically range from 10 to 30 pages per fax!

Unless you're receiving 150 page fax communications, you won't be bumping into email attachment limits. A single page 300 x 300 dpi monochrome fax reception averages 20KB. 150 pages would be approximately 3MB. Even the most restrictive email servers allow 5MB attachments.

I'm not necessarily promoting fax forwarding to email, but size limitations has rarely been a problem, perhaps because fax is limited to monochrome images. It starts becoming a problem when your enduser has selected color scans at 600 x 600dpi. A single page 300 x 300 dpi color scan averages 200KB. Make that same page 600 x 600 dpi, and you've got nearly 2MB per page. 10 pages @ 2MB per page will bump into the typical email attachment size limit of 20MB.
=^..^=

JR2ALTA
10-02-2016, 01:06 PM
I find the reason clients prefer forward to email is that they are alerted when they receive the email (fax) whereas SMB happens silently.

Santander
10-04-2016, 01:01 AM
Unless you're receiving 150 page fax communications, you won't be bumping into email attachment limits. A single page 300 x 300 dpi monochrome fax reception averages 20KB. 150 pages would be approximately 3MB. Even the most restrictive email servers allow 5MB attachments.

I'm not necessarily promoting fax forwarding to email, but size limitations has rarely been a problem, perhaps because fax is limited to monochrome images. It starts becoming a problem when your enduser has selected color scans at 600 x 600dpi. A single page 300 x 300 dpi color scan averages 200KB. Make that same page 600 x 600 dpi, and you've got nearly 2MB per page. 10 pages @ 2MB per page will bump into the typical email attachment size limit of 20MB.
=^..^=

Normally I would agree with you, unless you are working with state agencies as we do. which have much tighter restrictions, how about only 2 MB attachments! Ridiculous, but this is the world we live in. I would love to have 20 MB to work with.

copiman
10-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I set up the 4500i here at the office to fax forward to folder. Once it received the fax it took 1/2 second to show in the folder. I think I like this option better than to email.

Its going to a doctors office where they now forward to yahoo email. I convinced them to use folder instead. My approach was if Internet goes down or yahoo has a problem, which is common, they can still get to the faxes. Not to mention medical information being transmitted over the internet.

Was very easy to set up! Thanks again for everyone's insight. Made me think about stuff I would not have considered.

Santander
10-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I set up the 4500i here at the office to fax forward to folder. Once it received the fax it took 1/2 second to show in the folder. I think I like this option better than to email.

Its going to a doctors office where they now forward to yahoo email. I convinced them to use folder instead. My approach was if Internet goes down or yahoo has a problem, which is common, they can still get to the faxes. Not to mention medical information being transmitted over the internet.

Was very easy to set up! Thanks again for everyone's insight. Made me think about stuff I would not have considered.

If notification of receiving a fax is important, you can set the machine up to email a successful fax reception report under the Fax RX results report settings. An email would be sent for every successful fax reception so someone would know that a fax was received. We had a state customer request this and soon grew tired of all the emails, they receive on average 200+ faxes a day which are forwarded via SMB to a folder. We just trained them to check the folder often for new received faxes as state policy was to wipe the folder of any files older than two days. It has been nearly two years now and they are very happy with the way it is working. If they were forwarding faxes via Yahoo, you may want to read up on the HIPPA regulations as this may not be allowed as the patient information is going outside their network.

Custom Search