PDA

View Full Version : lube

Custom Search

raider
10-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Hi All

what lubricants do you guys use on the different areas in modern mfp's ?
And which do you think cause more problems than their worth.

Regards
Bandit

blackcat4866
10-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I use:
Triflow: for drive components
30W straight weight motor oil: for scanner rails
IBM23 or Mobil Grease 28: for spring clutches, greaseable torque limiters
Carbon Conductive Grease: for drum grounds, transfer contacts, and anywhere conductivity matters.
HP500 High Temperature Grease: for fuser drive applications up to 400 degrees F.

Note: WD40 is not a lubricant. It's good for cleaning rubber rollers or toner from metal fuser guides, but attacks plastics. So if you choose to clean rollers with it don't get it on anything plastic. Please don't spray the stuff wholesale on drive components. The plastic parts will melt.
=^..^=

Iowatech
10-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Hi All

what lubricants do you guys use on the different areas in modern mfp's ?
And which do you think cause more problems than their worth.

Regards
Bandit

blackcat4866 is right.
I'll add that I've used Slick 50's "One Lube" grease in some high temperature applications with decent results, but I don't know if it is available anymore. Plus it is green colored and might look gross.
When I worked for the mothership, our main high temp lube was one from DuPont called Krytox. It worked really well, but it's pretty expensive.
I had a Samsung that was eating labels, even with the paper guide grounding update. I put a really thin coat of fuser oil (a viscous silicon oil) on the guides and that reduced the problem quite a bit. As it sounds like you're just getting into the business (sorry if I'm wrong), you probably won't see any of that, it was used on older machines frequently, but now I think it is only used on some high end color production machines. Rain-X isn't nearly as effective as fuser oil, but it can help if a non-porous surface needs to be slipperier. Be very careful if you use Rain-X on the windshield of your car though, it can give you a false sense of security, especially if the winter season there is like it is here. And it doesn't help that much if all you are going to do is drive around town, it is far more effective if you are driving on the interstate highways.

sturmtrooper
10-03-2016, 01:35 PM
White lithium grease on non fuser parts, and barierta grease from Ricoh on fuser parts.

copier addict
10-03-2016, 05:42 PM
White lithium grease and light oil. That's all I use for lubrication. This duo has been working fine for 10 plus years.

mikadonovan
10-03-2016, 06:16 PM
10w30 motor oil-scanner rails and bearings
White lithium grease-all plastic to plastic, drive chains, etc. (pretty multi purpose)
Lubriplate hi temp grease-fusers

subaro
10-03-2016, 06:24 PM
When next you unbox the copier you sell and service, examine the gears, drive section and adf. Some manufactures use red or green grease and some colourless, so you have to pay attention. When the machine and parts are serviced, you can get hints of where to put grease and oil. Some self lubricating bushing still need lube as have seen some get completely worn off. Light oil like tri-flow is excellent for fast moving parts. I prefer not to use lithium grease but instead use synthetic grease with ptfe. the one i use is SUPER LUBE, it is excellent with plastics and high temp.
Blackcat covered what would be a typical lube for a machine. I see some manufactures use grease is drive train and some don't, so a matter of your choice. Only thing, don't get grease, even the slightest in areas of the drum/dev and paper path or it can turn into a nightmare.
I have solved many problems with grease and oil, especially noise. Lots of techs i know, don't even carry them. I do shop work, so general overhaul would mean more detail work, as outside techs would not be so indepth and skip the lube or plain forget about it.

Mark Bbb
03-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know where to by a good heat resistant lubricator in Belgium, Germany or Netherlands?
"PH500", "Super lube", or...?
Greetings,
Mark

blackcat4866
03-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Order it off the web:
https://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/Details.aspx?prod=01881426&type=PROD&Country=JPN
=^..^=

Mark Bbb
03-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Order it off the web:
https://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/Details.aspx?prod=01881426&type=PROD&Country=JPN
=^..^=

Blackcat: thank you, but none of the products are available in Belgium, Germany or Netherlands.

Anyone knows?

nhyrum
03-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I like DuPont's krytox line. Gpl105 is a light oil, gpl 205 is a grease.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lagonda
03-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Note: WD40 is not a lubricant. It's good for cleaning rubber rollers or toner from metal fuser guides, but attacks plastics. So if you choose to clean rollers with it don't get it on anything plastic. Please don't spray the stuff wholesale on drive components. The plastic parts will melt.
=^..^=

Please don't spray WD 40 willy nilly through out the back of the copier trying to rid the machine of that mysterious squeak........all the clutches suddenly stop working.

nhyrum
03-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Please don't spray WD 40 willy nilly through out the back of the copier trying to rid the machine of that mysterious squeak........all the clutches suddenly stop working.
But... Did it stop squeaking?

blackcat4866
03-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Blackcat: thank you, but none of the products are available in Belgium, Germany or Netherlands.

Anyone knows?

Sorry Mark. I won't be able to help you find lubricants in Belgium. Have you thought about ordering off the internet? I do believe sellers in other countries ship to Belgium.
=^..^=

gneebore
03-02-2017, 11:47 PM

Been a while since it was commonplace. But every two or three weeks I always ran into the "guy who can fix anything" in the office and always insisted on using wd 40 on IBM selectrics. Might get them to work for a little bit. But it would gum the keylevers up and really really screw up all of the greased clutches. The IBM #23 grease was used as a drive grease in the cycle clutch and the shift clutches. Even more fun was when they used wd 40 on antique manual typewriters. Not a good idea. Ninety year old metal does not like penetrating "lubricants" Didn't really cause breakage, but a lot of the typebars and segments ended up with pitted metal.

Phil B.
03-03-2017, 02:08 PM
But... Did it stop squeaking?

it MIGHT stop the squeaks .. but it wilL MUCK up the damn unit. It melts plastic.. it will destroy the clutches and if it drips on a board.. it will fry it. Brass bushings it will dry them out.

Mark Bbb
03-03-2017, 02:50 PM
it MIGHT stop the squeaks .. but it wilL MUCK up the damn unit. It melts plastic.. it will destroy the clutches and if it drips on a board.. it will fry it. Brass bushings it will dry them out.

So, by better stuff and when you still use WD-40, give it to your mother in law !!!

nhyrum
03-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Not saying you use wd40. Just being a little sarcastic. If it stopped the squeak, s'all good! Small price to pay to replace a few clutches and a DC controller

TheBlueOrleans
03-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Maybe someone can tell me what the hell I'm supposed to use this "drysurf" on, since I have to shake the bottle once a week to separate it anyway, I might as well use it. There's a technical bulletin about it, I'm certain of that, just not certain how to find it. For having damn near all the technical information about the products available on the website, you'd think it would be easier to navigate.

vincent64
03-03-2017, 06:31 PM
I have found this lube to be pretty good stuff...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31ek3LknN1L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

and they make it in a spray also...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/rust/corrosionx_zps540692bf.jpg

it is a synthetic type of lube, made right here in the good ol' USA, in Big "D"..Dallas to ya'll non Texans :)

copier addict
03-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Maybe someone can tell me what the hell I'm supposed to use this "drysurf" on, since I have to shake the bottle once a week to separate it anyway, I might as well use it. There's a technical bulletin about it, I'm certain of that, just not certain how to find it. For having damn near all the technical information about the products available on the website, you'd think it would be easier to navigate.

It was initially sent out to lubricate the fusers on the C452 I think. I don't have any C452s so I use it for other things. I had a car window that was very slow going up and down, so, I squirted some Drysurf between the glass and frame and it worked great. Window now goes up and down smoothly. That was in the summer and still working. Seems to be good stuff.

Iowatech
03-04-2017, 05:10 AM

Anyone knows?

Does DuPont do business there? Their Krytox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox) line of lubricants work well.
Also, we used SuperLube (http://www.super-lube.com/) oiler pens successfully in some applications, and the one time I pulled the label off of one of them the default printing on the body of the thing appeared to be in German. But I only took three semesters of German language classes in high school back in the '70s and haven't spoken more than a couple of sentences of that language since, so I'm probably wrong there.

nhyrum
03-04-2017, 05:27 AM
Does DuPont do business there? Their Krytox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox) line of lubricants work well.
Also, we used SuperLube (http://www.super-lube.com/) oiler pens successfully in some applications, and the one time I pulled the label off of one of them the default printing on the body of the thing appeared to be in German. But I only took three semesters of German language classes in high school back in the '70s and haven't spoken more than a couple of sentences of that language since, so I'm probably wrong there.
I'm sure they do, they're a big enough company.

I will say... It's not cheap. But it is DuPont

Custom Search