PDA

View Full Version : C280 Print density Help?

Custom Search

coveredinoil
10-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Morning all
I'm hoping for a little help or a few pointers, My C280 is showing signs of print density variations the attached images are scans of prints i have made today scan1 shows the first print that i noticed the problem on, it was on thick3 card stock, thinking it was toner i checked level and pulled both wipers on that drum - no change.
Scan2 is on 80gsm paper and looks to print some bits darker rather than lighter (the light scroll type image is showing through from the other side).
Scan3 are bars of CMYK at 25% opacity (because the problem doesn't show on solid colour) passing though printer in the portrait orientation.
Scan4 is as above but passing in the landscape orientation.
Images 1 to 3 are shots of the printer usage for info.
I have cleaned every thing I think i can and have performed 6+ gradation checks, but now I'm lost, my mind is telling me image transfer belt but hoping it's not.

Woxner
10-03-2016, 04:03 PM
clean the lasers with the wand if you have not done so. maybe replace transfer roller. but before changing drums belt etc. do a initialize and reset in service mode. this reset to 0. it normally takes care of most cq problems

coveredinoil
10-03-2016, 07:06 PM
clean the lasers with the wand if you have not done so. maybe replace transfer roller. but before changing drums belt etc. do a initialize and reset in service mode. this reset to 0. it normally takes care of most cq problems
By wand, do you mean the rod behind the waste toner box?

tech51
10-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Please re-post your attachments as they don't seem to be working correctly.

coveredinoil
10-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Please re-post your attachments as they don't seem to be working correctly.
Trying again, hope it works this time!

Woxner
10-03-2016, 10:15 PM
there should be a flat type wand on the door

coveredinoil
10-04-2016, 07:25 AM
there should be a flat type wand on the door
Oh no wand on the door!
Does it go in here when used?
I thought the white knob to the right did the laser glass, but probably wrong as usual. :confused:

copier addict
10-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Oh no wand on the door!
Does it go in here when used?
I thought the white knob to the right did the laser glass, but probably wrong as usual. :confused:

Each printhead has it's own cleaning wand. Yes, it is the the white thing. Just move it in and out several times to clean.

Synthohol
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Hey, just to throw my .02 in.
Those dv units are 6 years old, the developer is likely stale as month old bread. The nice sharp nooks on the ferrite particles are way dull by now and cannot carry enough toner to put the proper density on the drum.
Id change those first and reevaluate.
Even Kyocera strongly suggests replacing the dv units every 3 years regardless of page count for the same reason.
You can't make wine from grapes once they turn into raisins. .
Good luck.

coveredinoil
10-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Thank you all for comments so far.
I have carried out an initialise and reset although it has not cured the problem I do think print quality has improved.
it is also noted about age of imaging units, I will address this as soon as I can.
For me the confusion is that the print irregularity is continuous across all colours(portrait feed though machine) so the cause ought to be common to all colours, correct?
I have done a print where I stopped the print part way through the paper path and the defects are present before (and after) the fuser, which makes me think transfer belt or transfer roller? Can either of these be cleaned (just to see if any change is made), or should I just bite the bullet and change both?
Many thanks again.

allan
10-05-2016, 06:21 PM
One way to check is to stop the paper between the transfer belt and roller.
If its the roller or the contact for the roller there should be a nice dense image on the belt.

If there is no P-codes then that should tip you off in the direction of the roller.

coveredinoil
10-08-2016, 04:38 PM
A quick update.
I took the transfer belt unit out and found the surface was fairly well marked (not sure if normal) also the cleaner blade unit was almost clogged, so I've got a replacement on order.
There was a lot (in my opinion) of yellow toner around the internals of the machine, would this be coming from the imaging unit? I do think it was coming from the cartridge or it's interface, so getting another one of those, anything else will have to wait for now.
Thanks again everyone:-)

allan
10-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Yellow toner fogging is normal is the dev was over run for a bit.
Yellow toner is also applied every time the transfer belt is reset.

Woxner
10-08-2016, 09:43 PM
cleaning the belt and roller will have no effect to recover them. if you are sure you have clean the laser try the roller. the belt probably would not give such an even copy if bad. i have never changed a dev unit in one of these machines. even with low copies and high volume.

Custom Search