PDA

View Full Version : WSD vs OEM Drivers

Custom Search

copiman
10-11-2016, 11:55 AM
I noticed the other day when loading drivers that the PC actually loaded WSD before I could load the KX driver. I thought I saw somewhere in this forum some input on WSD but cannot find it. Would like to get input on which driver is most reliable and how to prevent WSD from loading. Somewhere I read the stopping the PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator service will prevent the WSD driver from loading but disabling this also stops discovery of networked devices which I think needs to be enabled.

Any input on WSD vs KX would be great.

jhalfhide
10-11-2016, 12:34 PM
WSD related to the port used (rather than IP). The driver tends to be a Windows Class Driver. Awful, awful and awful. Constantly get connection issues and print issues. Once deleted and replaced with the correct driver, on an IP port, they shouldn't reinstall.

This isn't always the case and I have seen them add themselves again. No solution as yet without hindering other network protocols (as you've already discovered).

I would educate the customer on how to identify and remove the bad driver. We've created a document that goes over this in detail and our customers get on fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wragsdale
10-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Like jhalfhide said, WSD isn't a driver. It's a communication protocol. Really, it's just a device specific pointer to an IP address.

If you aren't using the network fax drivers, you should be able to turn off WSD at the device without ill effect.

In the event of print driver installation, you only need to skip the first dialog by clicking on "my printer isn't listed."

copiman
10-11-2016, 02:26 PM
WSD related to the port used (rather than IP). The driver tends to be a Windows Class Driver. Awful, awful and awful. Constantly get connection issues and print issues. Once deleted and replaced with the correct driver, on an IP port, they shouldn't reinstall.

This isn't always the case and I have seen them add themselves again. No solution as yet without hindering other network protocols (as you've already discovered).

I would educate the customer on how to identify and remove the bad driver. We've created a document that goes over this in detail and our customers get on fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Now that you mentioned it I do recall having issues in the past with the WSD. I resolved it by removing it and loading the KX driver. Will start loading KX drivers from now on. Thanks again.

Custom Search