PDA

View Full Version : Firmware Question. My noob status reinstated!

Custom Search

Mitch Barron
10-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Greetings all,

I hope the printer gods are treating you all to a plethora of unique and frustrating problems as they are for me. Just kidding. Although I feel that my latest patient is definitely on the cusp of being thrown down 2 flights of stairs. All fun and wits aside though, I hope you are all well and busy.

I currently have a machine sitting in my showroom (develop ineo+284, Bizhub c284). From one day to the next it just stopped scanning to email. I have tried absolutely everything to get this function working again with zero positive results. This cry for help though has nothing to do with the function or its settings. Here is a quick run down of what I have done to this poor machine and then we will get to the question. When the machine first stopped sending to email, I tried all different kinds of email servers, ssl, no authentification, with authentification, checked network settings, changed networks (yes i moved the machine to the neighbor company), etc. Upon losing my last nerve i decided the absolutely and completely wipe the machine and start from scratch (service mode- system 1- initialization- clear all data). I then proceeded the set the machine up and connect it to my network again. I tried all the settings and configurations i know (even had techs from Develop have a peek at it through Teamviewer and they didn't even know what was happening) still not working.

Now to the main question. Upon sifting through the machine settings and such. I noticed that the machine is currently on "Function Version 1" and Firmware Version is currently GDK 72 970. I have done firmware updates on many machines and have never really had many problems, but upon investigation of function version and so forth I have come to realize that with the newer machines I am absolutely lost. I ask a rep from Develop and he informed me that my machine should be running on Function version 7! I have access to all the required firmwares and movie/voice data, but have zero clue on how to go about updating this machine properly. I read about software switches that have to changed and, and , and.

Could someone please give me a little insight (or a tutorial) on how to do this properly? I realize that this is probably something I should already have down, but I look after many brands and am not the only out in the field in my company and have somehow just missed out on this whole updating process. My ultimate goal is to remedy the email problem, and if the updating the machines firmware and function version will help then I am completely down for the task. Just need a little help. Feeling overwhelmed and insecure about the whole process. I thank anyone sincerely in advance. Thanks!

Mitch (the noob)

emujo
10-13-2016, 05:32 PM
Hope this helps...

Firmware- corrects (at least it's supposed to) MFP issues like error codes, erratic operation, and adds new features
Function version- allows the MFP to use the new features added with the firmware update.

You can always install the latest firmware, but you don't have to change the function version..For instance, a specific firmware added "airprint" and addressed CE301 error codes. If you update the function version after the firmware update you need to take a peek at the PDF that accompanies the function version change as it lists the specific changes and driver version you MUST use to ensure proper operations.

As to the email issue, many hosted providers require a higher TLS protocol (1.2 I think). The non e versions have a special firmware that adds this level. But, even w/o this firmware you should be able to connect to an exchange/SMTP that uses port 25, no SSL or TLS. I would like to hear what your error is when trying to send mail..Server connect, or login error (99 % of the failures will be 1 of these 2). You should be using the telnet command to verify that your workstation or laptop can open the required port. If so and the MFP is configured the same way..(IP scheme, DNS, etc) then you may be looking at a MFP problem. There are other issues with providers like Gmail, the 2 step verification process is one that's difficult to get by (google search connecting a windows phone to gmail for example), and for most customers we suggest they disable that feature and choose "allow less secure apps". Emujo

Mr Spock
10-13-2016, 11:31 PM
And Gmail is not the only one making changes...

I have had to fix about 25 machines lately (no Konica's just for the record) that the email server (by either an admin adjustment or MS security patch) has a new spam filter blocking anything that looks made up or has no subject or body to the email... For example scanner@KM_c220.com would get blocked, but scanner@abc_co.com would not.

copier tech
10-14-2016, 08:15 AM
The first thing I would do is update the firmware to the latest level AND function level.
To change to the latest function level first update the firmware (current version c224e - A5C10Y0-F000-GD2-M1) after the machine is ready, in CE mode change soft switch 25 to HEX 60 & reboot this will enable function version 7.
To learn more about function version consult the service manual.

Hope this helps.

habik
10-15-2016, 01:07 AM
OK before you get to the land of upgrades! ...and don't worry it took me fair amount of time to get my head around this as well. Just make sure you are patient as the loading of firmware can take..forever...open Service manual and look in to how to do Firmware Upgrades if you unsure.
Ensure you format the stick to FAT32 and name it perhaps 123 or something simple ABC or what not.

The latest firmware we use for NON e-series is GD2-72 and emailing happily even through gmail.

If you still want to update to higher firmware level and function carry on:

You have NON E Series machine, so there is version up firmware which will take the MFP board up to the "e-series" level although not ALL e-series functions are available as it is older hardware. Hence why it is not G20- (like e-Series) but GBx-firmware (non e-Series).

First get this version up firmware: A1610Y0-F000-GB4-A9(00) and:

Now the oter firmware levels:
A1610Y0-F000-GB0-G9
A1610Y0-F000-GB0-K0
A1610Y0-F000-GB1-K2

Now the new versions of Movie Data and Voice Data, if you need loadable drivers, you'll find them in the document.
A2XK0Y0-C000-G00-30_Movie(Function_Version3).exe
A2XK0Y0-C100-G00-30_Voice(Function_Version3).exe
C554_Series_C364_Serieds_PRI_DLBT1403006EN.doc In this document you will find all the info on how to update and what not to do!
Precaution_of_Firmware_installation.xls

UNPLUG NETWORK LEAD!

1, Delete the movie data in service

2, Load the Version up firmware. When firmware screen comes check the Machine & Type settings (Should be :Machine 3 and Type 2, then hit Fix and return to Firmware screen) now hit Blue Start button. When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port.
Now the funny bit, execute the following after firmware update is done and MFP boots up.
a, Enter the Service mode and change the DipSW 156 to HEX 08 and hit "Fix" button. The HEX value turnes to 00 automaticaly. Reboot machine.

3, Load the GB0-G9 this one is version 5. When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port. Boot=up and you can change the function version up to level 5 by switching Soft Switch 25 - (SSW 25: Hex 40)

4, Load GB0-K0 When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port. This is version 7 (SSW 25: Hex 60)

5, Load GB1-K2 When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port. Function version is the same as ver 7 is the top version.

6, Load Movie Data A2XK0Y0-C000-G00-30_Movie (NOT FROM SERVICE PORT) just use the USB port next to operating panel on side of the machine.

7, Update drivers on computers to the latest for INEO+284 ver 5.1.3.0. In Configure tab of the driver set the machine accordingly a.e. 28C-6c

Now might be worth doing a Network to factory defaults. Starting fresh.

Good luck.

Mitch Barron
10-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Absolutely outstanding. You ppl are the best. Wouldn't have expected anything less from the people on this forum. Just wanted to write and give the final verdict on my problem child. As of right now, all thanks to you guys, I can update these machines to the teeth and send emails like a champ again. I updated the firmware/service function and everything was working as it should again. Thank you, thank you thank you. Remeber too, if there is anything i can do for you guys to return the favor don't hesitate to ask me. I have a pretty broad range of machines that we deal with (brother, Samsung (soon to be HP! Yikes!), Kyocera, and develop. I may be a bit noobish in some aspects, but if I can help then I will. Just don't ask me to configure your scan to email. lol. Thanks again! Take care all!

jose60623
02-20-2019, 05:32 PM
OK before you get to the land of upgrades! ...and don't worry it took me fair amount of time to get my head around this as well. Just make sure you are patient as the loading of firmware can take..forever...open Service manual and look in to how to do Firmware Upgrades if you unsure.
Ensure you format the stick to FAT32 and name it perhaps 123 or something simple ABC or what not.

The latest firmware we use for NON e-series is GD2-72 and emailing happily even through gmail.

If you still want to update to higher firmware level and function carry on:

You have NON E Series machine, so there is version up firmware which will take the MFP board up to the "e-series" level although not ALL e-series functions are available as it is older hardware. Hence why it is not G20- (like e-Series) but GBx-firmware (non e-Series).

First get this version up firmware: A1610Y0-F000-GB4-A9(00) and:

Now the oter firmware levels:
A1610Y0-F000-GB0-G9
A1610Y0-F000-GB0-K0
A1610Y0-F000-GB1-K2

Now the new versions of Movie Data and Voice Data, if you need loadable drivers, you'll find them in the document.
A2XK0Y0-C000-G00-30_Movie(Function_Version3).exe
A2XK0Y0-C100-G00-30_Voice(Function_Version3).exe
C554_Series_C364_Serieds_PRI_DLBT1403006EN.doc In this document you will find all the info on how to update and what not to do!
Precaution_of_Firmware_installation.xls

UNPLUG NETWORK LEAD!

1, Delete the movie data in service

2, Load the Version up firmware. When firmware screen comes check the Machine & Type settings (Should be :Machine 3 and Type 2, then hit Fix and return to Firmware screen) now hit Blue Start button. When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port.
Now the funny bit, execute the following after firmware update is done and MFP boots up.
a, Enter the Service mode and change the DipSW 156 to HEX 08 and hit "Fix" button. The HEX value turnes to 00 automaticaly. Reboot machine.

3, Load the GB0-G9 this one is version 5. When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port. Boot=up and you can change the function version up to level 5 by switching Soft Switch 25 - (SSW 25: Hex 40)

4, Load GB0-K0 When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port. This is version 7 (SSW 25: Hex 60)

5, Load GB1-K2 When finished, Switch OFF and remove stick from service port. Function version is the same as ver 7 is the top version.

6, Load Movie Data A2XK0Y0-C000-G00-30_Movie (NOT FROM SERVICE PORT) just use the USB port next to operating panel on side of the machine.

7, Update drivers on computers to the latest for INEO+284 ver 5.1.3.0. In Configure tab of the driver set the machine accordingly a.e. 28C-6c

Now might be worth doing a Network to factory defaults. Starting fresh.

Good luck.

Hello, would you be able to provide the instructions on how to install the animation file and the update the firmware. Thanks.

mach1don
02-20-2019, 07:35 PM
make sure your firmware is for the correct machine. A bizhub 284 is NOT the same as a bizhub 284e. Your 72 version firmware is for the non e-series

Phil B.
02-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Hello, would you be able to provide the instructions on how to install the animation file and the update the firmware. Thanks.

the procedure will be in the service manual or in a read.me.... with the firmware.

if you DO NOT have the manual DO NOT ATTEMPT

you can turn the unit into a boat anchor if done improperly

Custom Search