PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 600 freeze up after paper jam

Custom Search

xx7xx
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Man, I'm glad I found this forum.

I have a Bizhub 600, scanning to SMB, networked thru a switch to one work station only, about as simple as it gets. We're using this setup to convert paper docs to digital, so it's scanning only, no printing.

The issue is that the unit sometimes freezes/locks up after a paper jam.
After the jam is cleared the Start button does not go back to green, it stays yellow.
The touch panel menus are not frozen so I can access the job menu to delete the job. The job is cleared but the Bizhub still says it is transmitting. The PageScope software on the workstation reads that the Bizhub is "scanning".
I can ping the Bizub and PageScope will notify me if I open the Bizhub front panel so I've ruled out a networking issue since the unit and workstation are communicating.

We've had KM techs out twice, with a third visit scheduled for today. They have no idea what the problem is. They've suggested that it is the condition of the pages being scanned and not the machine. I understand paper will jam and have no problems with that, I just don't believe the whole machine should lock up and have to be restarted each time.

So I've been reading thru this forum and found some recommendations: firmware, hard drive, image control board etc.
Has anyone else had this problem and solved it definitively? I'd like to steer the KM techs in the right direction today rather that waste more time standing around with them staring at a frozen Bizhub.
Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for reading if you made it this far...
paul

ebm
07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Firmware version 20 is supposed to address an issue w/ the 600 locking up during scanning. I had to do this for a customer. Tech support said to update firmware in steps, i.e. if the machine is at version 10 to install v15 then v17 then version 20 etc. (not sure of the exact version sequences). At the time I did this the newest version was 30.

RockETop
07-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I have seen this too and fixed it with a firware upgrade.

We have also seen bad power raise hell with these machines, 600/750. Most of the bad power issues have affected scanning in some way.

xx7xx
07-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
We had v.17, the update to v.30 seems to have done the trick so far.
We've had a number of paper jams but no lock ups.

One last question, the firmware update seems to have added a new feature. An alarm (beep) sounds after a paper jam. I've looked thru the menus but haven't found a way to disable it.
Anyone know how to do it?

thanks again....

dallas
07-17-2008, 05:28 PM
To deactivate the warning sound press:
Accessibility Key -> Sound Setting -> Warning Sound -> Off

ebm
07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
If the ADF is jamming you might try cleaning/replace the one-way bearings in the Paper Feed Roller/1 and the Paper Feed Driving Gear 24T (pg.4 #15 & 31 of parts guide). I also rough up the shafts w/ fine grit sand paper. Another thing I do is remove the Multifeed Holding Spring A and Multifeed Holding Part A (pg.7 #39 & 40). I find these parts sometimes binds the Multifeed Preventing Plate (pg.7 #14) from springing back up all the way when pushed down.

Custom Search