PDA

View Full Version : Pagescope Web Connection top menu incomplete: no "Box"

Custom Search

John Kaufmann
10-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Normally the Pagescope Web Connection daemon (http://<ip_address>/wcd/top_menu.xml) provides a complete menu of the MFP's capabilities following the Public login. However, one C360 has lost the "Box" (User Boxes) part of its top menu -- it simply does not display, and a dump of the page source shows that it is not there. That is, it should show this:
and instead shows this:

A page dump shows that the "Box" menu item is indeed missing from the source. Further examination shows that the XML file is generated on the fly from template top_menu.xsl, which is fed a "MenuList" populated by "MenuItem"s. So another way of asking the question is to ask (a) How is the MenuList generated, and (b) Why is the MenuItem "Box" not included?

allan
10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Because its been disabled or removed.
How to get that back?
Initialize the machine.
NVRAM could be in question?

John Kaufmann
10-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Because its been disabled or removed.
How to get that back?
Initialize the machine.
NVRAM could be in question?

Hmm... Sorry, I should have mentioned that the boxes are there and can be used manually. You can even see them via Pagescope by asking for:
http://<ip_address>/wcd/box.xml

(which is where you would normally be directed if "Box" were in the top menu). And, once there, you can use the boxes in the same way, just as if everything were otherwise copacetic. So nothing has been obviously removed, and I'm stumped about what might be disabled (and I would prefer not to jeopardize the boxes and their contents by fiddling with them, let alone initializing the machine).

Thanks for the NVRAM tip. I will see if everything looks right in service mode.

allan
10-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Box utility? to get around the problem for users.

allan
10-22-2016, 10:14 PM
What happens if you go to login screen and login as a public user or user?

John Kaufmann
10-22-2016, 10:52 PM
What happens if you go to login screen and login as a public user or user?

You mean Pagescope login screen? If so, that's where I got the second of those two screenshots from the first post (the screen missing the MenuItem "Box").

I appreciate you helping me thinking this through.

John Kaufmann
10-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Box utility? to get around the problem for users.

That's an option, but the Pagescope utilities are clunkier than the Web Connection (no thing of beauty itself) - and it's hard to get people to change their ways if they have something that has been working.

allan
10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Do you have user authentication on that machine?

Jazzwcs
10-23-2016, 02:58 PM
You may want to check the state of the HDD. It's a possibility that the HDD is corrupted and may need to be reformatted.

John Kaufmann
10-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Do you have user authentication on that machine?

No; completely public access to User Boxes.

John Kaufmann
10-23-2016, 06:12 PM
You may want to check the state of the HDD. It's a possibility that the HDD is corrupted and may need to be reformatted.

Thanks, but the boxes and their contents are good, as shown by

direct manipulation at the machine;
remote manipulation via Pagescope box utilities;
remote manipulation via Pagescope Web Connection if the top menu is bypassed (going direct to <ip_address>/wcd/box.xml).

The problem is just that the MenuItem "Box" is omitted from the Pagescope Web Connection public top menu (<ip_address>/wcd/top_menu.xml). So I don't want to reformat and lose everything -- especially without knowing that would gain back the MenuItem. I just wish I knew how the "MenuList" is generated, and how it collects its "MenuItem"s.

allan
10-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Not sure how to manipulate code on the machine...
You could always create a manual shortcut to http://<ip_address>/wcd/box.xml on the desktop?

Mr Spock
10-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Try a different browser. Sometimes Internet explorer will not load the menu buttons.

John Kaufmann
10-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Not sure how to manipulate code on the machine...
You could always create a manual shortcut to http://<ip_address>/wcd/box.xml on the desktop?

I did essentially that: put a bookmark to http://<ip_address>/wcd/box.xml labeled "C360 Boxes" in the browser toolbar. But from a practical standpoint, I still want people to be able to use the machine per the documentation -- and from the perspective of maintaining these things, it would be nice to know what happened.

John Kaufmann
10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Try a different browser. Sometimes Internet explorer will not load the menu buttons.

Tried Firefox and Chrome; the problem really is in the code being generated for top_menu.xml. Any idea where to get documentation on that code?

Brett GS
10-24-2016, 08:09 PM

Also seen similiar problem caused by internet explorer,when the clients IT tried to login remotely to re embed equitrac they could acces the network tab and it had something to do with compatabilty view.

Custom Search