PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 36 - how to hack machine to allow A3 from bypass

Custom Search

EarthKmTech
10-22-2016, 11:13 PM
I seem to recall this was possible. Anyone remember how ?

The machine very clearly is able to do it, the engine is A3, the bypass tray is big enough with the additional length sensors and the extendable tray on the output is long enough for A3 but is software crippled to A4 only.

MFPTech
10-22-2016, 11:37 PM
banner printing?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

blackcat4866
10-22-2016, 11:43 PM
KM hotline told me that it was not possible. Truthful? Who knows.

EarthKmTech
10-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Looking through the bulletins for these machines, I found something referenced as an optional A3 kit.

I suspect it WAS possible in some parts of the world and blocked in others due to marketing conflicts with other A3 machines offered.

EarthKmTech
10-23-2016, 12:14 AM
Its crippled to A4 only in FW depending on regional version, hence the different regional versions of FW.

If you install the universal driver it automatically detects the regional version in use and blocks A3 and the optional large paper kit LP-101.

If you manually change the version of bizhub 36 to the non regional version, the optional large paper kit LP-101 becomes an option along with A3 printing from the bypass.

However, they thought of people doing this and have blocked A3 in FW too. The regional version still stops you printing A3 as you cant set the bypass tray to that size anyway. A3 print jobs come out of the A4 trays just distorted.

I suspect you would need the WW version of the controller firmware instead of the regional to circumvent this and even then they probably have something else there to stop you doing that too. Be interested to know what is in the LP-101 kit, maybe there is an unlock chip.

The LP-101 kit only appears to of been available in Russia, China and possibly Germany. I guess that accounts for the lack of information out there since they arent english speaking countries.

allan
10-23-2016, 09:58 AM
I believe its a chip

allan
10-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Could be like a jumper? who knows.
I would get one and and see if any of the pins 2-7 is shorted out.

Brett GS
10-23-2016, 11:46 AM
The optional chip/IC is needed to enable A3

EarthKmTech
10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Even though my firmware version allegedly does not allow it, if i had access to a chip I'd still try it though and see what happens. Even an image to burn onto a serial eeprom as i have a writer here.

jotunn
10-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Anyone have ever seen such option "in wild"?

It can be such simple thing as an EEPROM, but the same chance for not_simple_at_all solution like for example Cypress microcontroller CY8C24123 known from Bizhub 420/421 used as "printer controller option".

DigiMan
10-25-2016, 07:51 AM

Could be like a jumper? who knows.
I would get one and and see if any of the pins 2-7 is shorted out.

This,i think one time i had to change an mpfb in one of those KM reminded me to not forget to put this in the new board otherwise
it wouldnt be able to print A3(Just from the bypass?Not entirely sure but definitely something like that came up)

EarthKmTech
10-25-2016, 10:53 AM
presumably the A3 unlock ic goes on the mfp board. I wouldnt be surprised if the socket isnt even there on this version since its not allowed in my region.

going to take the back off now and take pictures.

EarthKmTech
10-25-2016, 11:06 AM
This is the back side of this b36 and a close up of where I believe the A3 unlock IC is supposed to go in other regions.

KM go to great lengths to ensure what they dont want to be done isn't done and its not allowed in my region and fw so i bet even if i had the IC it still wouldn't work. They would of thought of people going online and buying the LP-101 from overseas, they aren't stupid. More than happy to test it out if someone has a spare IC though ;)

On further investigation, the MFP boards are region specific, so in order to print A3 with the LP-101 kit in a forbidden region I suspect you would simply need to get a MFP board from an A3 allowed region overseas and never update controller FW with local version. KM wouldn't have stopped this practice surely as no end user or even dealer would ever go to that length due to the cost.

Out of interest, those of you who are able to use A3 in your bizhub 36/42 i'd be interested to know what countries you are in.

Custom Search