PDA

View Full Version : C454e 20 amps

Custom Search

copier addict
12-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Hey everybody.
I looked though previous post but was unable to find anything related to this.
We recently picked up a used C454e that has a 20 amp plug on it. The question I have is, can this be converted to 15 amp?
The newest models in this series are 15 amp so, what would be involved in converting this?
It generally isn't a deal breaker, but, it makes it a little easier to sell.
Thanks

blackcat4866
12-22-2016, 12:18 AM
So you'd like your C454e to draw less amperage ? Is that correct? =^..^=

copier addict
12-22-2016, 12:49 AM
So you'd like your C454e to draw less amperage ? Is that correct? =^..^=

I sense judgment in that question. lol
The reason I ask is because there is only one fuser listed for this machine. Not one for the 20amp and one for the 15 amp. The fuser would be the largest draw and if fusers are the same there shouldn't be much of a difference between the two.

Woxner
12-22-2016, 01:06 AM
one would think they did it that way at first for a reason then possibly redesigned the power

blackcat4866
12-22-2016, 01:13 AM
Well, Ohm's Law states that: P=IV. Since the power in watts must stay the same, to have a lower value of current you'll have to have a higher value of voltage (in theory, anyway).

As is, 2000 watts = 16.66 amps * 120 volts

If you would like it to draw 15A, 2000 watts = 15 amps * 130.33 volts
So you'll (in theory) have to provide 130.33 volts AC.

I suspect that your power supply, will not like running on 130.33 volts AC

If you don't mind overloading your 15A circuit, you can make up a special surge suppressor with a NEMA 5-20R receptacle, with a NEMA 5-15P plug. You may have a wide variety of jamming and error codes, and you might find the plug chopped off your device if it's seen by a fire inspector.

I strongly discourage you from doing anything like this. Do not do this. =^..^=

copier addict
12-22-2016, 01:28 AM
Well, Ohm's Law states that: P=IV. Since the power in watts must stay the same, to have a lower value of current you'll have to have a higher value of voltage (in theory, anyway).

As is, 2000 watts = 16.66 amps * 120 volts

If you would like it to draw 15A, 2000 watts = 15 amps * 130.33 volts
So you'll (in theory) have to provide 130.33 volts AC.

I suspect that your power supply, will not like running on 130.33 volts AC

If you don't mind overloading your 15A circuit, you can make up a special surge suppressor with a NEMA 5-20R receptacle, with a NEMA 5-15P plug. You may have a wide variety of jamming and error codes, and you might find the plug chopped off your device if it's seen by a fire inspector.

I strongly discourage you from doing anything like this. Do not do this. =^..^=

Thanks for the lesson in electrical theory. I do know this.:cool: It was just the fact of the fusers being the same prompted me to ask.

emujo
12-22-2016, 01:39 PM
I remember the reason for the 20 Amp plug was due to the current draw of the saddle stitcher and or folding unit. Many of our customers just replaced the wall outlet with a NEMA 20 and unless it had a SD unit, or the additional folding unit, we never heard any complaints. I'm also not saying this is an approved way of doing things, as simply replacing the wall outlet does not make the wiring or the breaker conform to 20 amp standards. We also had a few installs where there was no 20 amp service so things were put on hold. Couple of days later we are called to say "proceed" and found they had twisted one of the prongs on the power cord to make it fit into a NEMA 15 slot. There is a serial number cut in where the C454e was sent out with a 15amp power cord. Emujo

copier addict
12-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I remember the reason for the 20 Amp plug was due to the current draw of the saddle stitcher and or folding unit. Many of our customers just replaced the wall outlet with a NEMA 20 and unless it had a SD unit, or the additional folding unit, we never heard any complaints. I'm also not saying this is an approved way of doing things, as simply replacing the wall outlet does not make the wiring or the breaker conform to 20 amp standards. We also had a few installs where there was no 20 amp service so things were put on hold. Couple of days later we are called to say "proceed" and found they had twisted one of the prongs on the power cord to make it fit into a NEMA 15 slot. There is a serial number cut in where the C454e was sent out with a 15amp power cord. Emujo

Thanks for the info emujo.

Albonline
12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info emujo.

look at the parts bullitens for this model think you will see the change was to the dc power supply.

Synthohol
12-27-2016, 11:15 PM
easier to just change the outlet. $4.00 and 5 min work.
ive changed dozens even live. sometimes its not a dedicated outlet and its easier to slap on a pair of rubber gloves and swap outlets.

CompyTech
12-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Agree with the outlet change, should just do it right the first time.

We in the past have used a "pig tail" to make it fit the outlet(cause sales trumps logic most of the time), usually only as a "temporary measure". Often I've been on machine removals that customers have left the "pig tails" plugged in(for years) with no issues.

Synthohol
12-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Double check the breaker that is is 20a. If not it still may work perfectly but can pop from too much draw

wseyller
12-30-2016, 06:05 AM
It isn't just the breaker and the outlet but the wiring itself is a thicker gauge. 15 amp needs at least 14 gauge wire. But sometimes the wire installed may be 12 gauge and all is needed is to replace outlet and breaker to 20amp.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Synthohol
12-30-2016, 11:58 AM
sorry, you have it backwards, wire gauge is thicker the lower the number.

darry1322
12-30-2016, 12:53 PM
sorry, you have it backwards, wire gauge is thicker the lower the number.

I think that may be what Wseyller is saying ( hard to tell over text conversation ). 15 amp needs at least 14 guage so if 12 gauge is installed it would meet the requirement for 20 amp and you could then just install the correct outlet and breaker to be OK.

wseyller
12-30-2016, 11:43 PM
I think that may be what Wseyller is saying ( hard to tell over text conversation ). 15 amp needs at least 14 guage so if 12 gauge is installed it would meet the requirement for 20 amp and you could then just install the correct outlet and breaker to be OK.

Yes that is what I implied

Custom Search