PDA

View Full Version : C364e 99-01 jams, stuck like a tongue to a flagpole

Custom Search

giddyupngo
12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I've been working on this one a few weeks, C364e with a finisher, and over 1 million copies on the meter. There was developer leaking in the back. All consumables have been recently replaced, (fuser, drums, developers, etc.). Lead edge is all over the place (same from all trays), random with 10mm of variation. When it gets too far off it will jam 99-01 (incorrect paper size). I replaced the paper feed drive unit (not the main drive), the whole registration section (including registration sensor and actuator), Clutch 4 (registration clutch), Motor M1 (transport motor), Clutch 1, 2, and 3. Flashed firmware to latest. Tried with Finisher disconnected also. Also temporarily replaced Front Side board. Konica Minolta's current Recommendation is replacing the Transport Motor (M1) and Clutch #4 as a set. If that doesn't work, replace the PRCB.

Any other suggestions?

Actions Taken by Tech:

Actions taken while on call:
1) Tech was able to get a registration unit from a known working printer in his office, the issue has with the J-9901 codes had decreased but they are still getting them.
2) Earlier notes indicate a grinding noise in the machine, Tech stated the machine is still running rough and he is unable to isolate where it is coming from.
3) Tech has also replace the wiring harness to the registration unit and the FSB with the same results

Actions Taken by tech:
1. Tried the reg-sensor, tested.
2. Paper feed drive assembly was replaced.
(Media)

Actions taken while on call:
1. Checked the book on the registration rebuild parts.

Recommendations:
1. A5C1700101 Roller
2. A0ED700200 Roller
3. A161701100 Spring /A
4. A161701703 Actuator /T
5. A161702200 Bushing (X4)
6. A0ED700300 Gear 20T
7. A0ED700700 Gear 14T
8. A108M50100 Photointerrupter

Actions taken by Tech:
1. Image quality is gone.
2. Machine will jam 1 of 10 copies.
3. Machine still making noise even after replacing the Paper Feed drive assy.
4. Tech replaced the fusing unit temporary to see if the noise will stop.
5. The finisher got disconnected and he is still getting the same issue.

Lots of image issues. Replaced t-belt to roller 3 drums and 4 developers. Developers very dry. Developer leak in back of machine. Washed out image and color Registration off. LOTS of 99-01 paper size jams. Mostly tray 1. Lead edge random from all trays.
Upgraded firmware to G20-M1. Tested engine without finisher per Konica Minolta. No improvement. Installed K developer to fix black fill. Replaced CL3 feed tray 1 clutch. Replaced CL2 Vertical Transport clutch. Replaced CL1 feed clutch with 8Z part. Replaced the following in T1/T2 feed unit with 8Z parts.
All 6 tires.
All one-ways.
All torque limiters.
Vertical Transport roller and ball bearings between tray 1 and 2.

Tested with new M1 transport motor, no improvement. Took m1 motor back out.
Black developer had damaged gears. Teeth were sharp and probably skipping.
NEED PAPER FEED DRIVE ASSEMBLY A161R70511
NEED GEAR A161590800
Machine sounds rough. WUM WUM WUM WUM sound after loop at registration. When feed slowed using thick 1 setting, you could hear skipping.

1. Jam 99-01 incorrect paper size controller jam from all trays and bypass.
2. MFP has 1,000,000 copies on it.
3. will flash up to current FW level and set SS#25 to hex 60, then reboot.
4. Print registration is shifted towards trail edge as paper is arriving early and probably not stopping at registration loop.
5. will detach the FS-534 and follow trap procedures.
6. If the problem persists,will pull the registration roller assy, inspect it, replace parts as needed.

giddyupngo
12-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Just replaced Motor M1 and Clutch 4 as a set, no improvement. Next step is the Printer Control board.

allan
12-27-2016, 07:03 PM
I feel your frustration don't think there is too much i can help you with.
Been in front of these 364e/454e machines figuring out what is causing it and the fix is never the same:confused:
From adjusting the side door to shimming the door hooks up to cutting the separation springs...

are you only getting 9901 or is 2002 in the mix?

giddyupngo
12-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks Allan,
No recent 20-02 jams,
In the last month mostly 99-01, but some of these.
99-02
12-01
92-02
92-01
10-02
32-05
11-01

There is a specific sound it makes, sounds like right after loop at registration, here is a video with sound, not sure if that is helpful. Here is a link to the video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_NhICjugTAZVTMyMmI3RWVZS0k/view?usp=sharing

What are you looking for when adjusting the door or shimming the hooks? I tried running it while putting pressure on the side door, did not help.

Today I tried it without the ADF set in service mode and Dual Scan board removed (heard that can do wierd things), and I also re-seated all connections on the Printer Control board, no improvement.

Synthohol
12-27-2016, 11:05 PM
have you tried setting the trays to thick 2 or 3?
that changes the timing and can help diagnose if it wont jam anymore

Albonline
12-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks Allan,
No recent 20-02 jams,
In the last month mostly 99-01, but some of these.
99-02
12-01
92-02
92-01
10-02
32-05
11-01

There is a specific sound it makes, sounds like right after loop at registration, here is a video with sound, not sure if that is helpful. Here is a link to the video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_NhICjugTAZVTMyMmI3RWVZS0k/view?usp=sharing

What are you looking for when adjusting the door or shimming the hooks? I tried running it while putting pressure on the side door, did not help.

Today I tried it without the ADF set in service mode and Dual Scan board removed (heard that can do wierd things), and I also re-seated all connections on the Printer Control board, no improvement.

the trasprort rollers up the right side have worn enough to slow paper to the point of causing this jam, try as test wraping them in a layer or two of electrical tape, see if increased O.D. helps any. have seen registration rollers cause these jams also.

REGSIS
12-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Since there's a strange sound I don't think it's a PRCB.
If you didn't do this already (on 900K) it is recommended to replace registration roller and 4 bushing. After that reg clutch if needed.
If the sound still persist I would point my finger on main drive unit. Something is broken (some teeth on gears). Main drive unit among other drive the transfer belt, and if belt is not synched with paper passage it can move lead edge like you mentioned, paper passage could be ok in that scenario and still jam occurs.
Try to test components in service mode and listen for the sound.

giddyupngo
12-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies,
Synthohol, I changed Tray 2 to thick, and it still jammed the same, but thought I heard skipping gears with the slower speed. That is when I replaced the paper feed drive, which didn't help. Could be the main drive though.

Albonline, the Registration Roller has been replaced and the vertical transport roller between feed 1 and 2 has been replaced as well. Thanks for the suggestion though.

REGSIS, I also am not confident the PRCB will help, I thought maybe if the signals from the PRCB were off different drives could be working against each other, but that may be a reach. I had considered the main drive, but have not replaced it yet because of cost (but now I'm into boards anyway). That sounds plausible.

I will keep this updated.

giddyupngo
12-28-2016, 10:38 PM
After looking at the theory of operation, the M1 Transport motor (which has been replaced this week) drives the rotation of the Transfer Belt as well as the registration, and the entire paper feed except reverse.

The Fusing Motor (M3) controls the pressure cam on the Transfer belt, to make the belt contact the color drums, but it seems like M1 does everything that could cause this jam.

HOWEVER, Motor M2 does control the drive of the C, Y, and M drums, and if all three were dragging because of a faulty motor or nearby gears, maybe that would slow down the belt, meaning the transfer belt could be slipping. I feel like I'm definitely in rabbit hole territory now.

M2 would be replaced as part of the main drive.

Albonline
12-30-2016, 02:24 PM
After looking at the theory of operation, the M1 Transport motor (which has been replaced this week) drives the rotation of the Transfer Belt as well as the registration, and the entire paper feed except reverse.

The Fusing Motor (M3) controls the pressure cam on the Transfer belt, to make the belt contact the color drums, but it seems like M1 does everything that could cause this jam.

HOWEVER, Motor M2 does control the drive of the C, Y, and M drums, and if all three were dragging because of a faulty motor or nearby gears, maybe that would slow down the belt, meaning the transfer belt could be slipping. I feel like I'm definitely in rabbit hole territory now.

M2 would be replaced as part of the main drive.

there is a chance the delivery unit is causing your issue. first feed of next sheet waits till previous sheet clears a point. this makes the sheet late at reg roller thus no temp stop.

giddyupngo
01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Thanks REGSIS, it was a gear on the main drive. After removing the main drive I saw that the gear meshing with the registration clutch was destroyed. Replaced the main drive and problem was resolved. Possibly a bad developer was putting great strain on this part of the drive, and this gear was the weakest link. Thanks everyone for the input, that was a tough one. In hindsight you could see this gear by removing the registration section, much easier than removing the main drive.3522235223

rrrohan
01-11-2017, 07:53 AM
thanks for that info OP.Was just about to go on a 2 hour flight to a machine thats identical in almost every way, copy count, registration out, clicking sound.I originally replaced the feed assy and had no luck alsoWas about to try the Registration roller assy as i thought the registration sensor actuator might of worn to short but felt like it didn't explain the clicking sound.Your solution sounds way more likely in my case as well.I will let you know next week if my issue was same as yours but if it is you just saved me big time!Thanks

rrrohan
01-16-2017, 07:05 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2C19M1rUnE5Zk5ETzV5TUVwaE0/view?usp=drivesdk

This is my shredded gear

giddyupngo
01-20-2017, 07:54 PM
I'm guessing that is the same gear? The one that meshes with the registration clutch?

rrrohan
01-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Yes

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

copier tech
01-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks for posting your solution, we have a few C284's out so I expect to come across this issue soon!

Can I ask how long it took you to replace this unit!?

rrrohan
01-21-2017, 03:14 PM
20mins tops. I dont think its common issue. First one ive done and we have hundreds in feild

REGSIS
01-23-2017, 06:56 PM
AFAIR manual says that registration bushings (4 pieces) and registration roller should be replaced at 900k
Have you done that?
If not, worn bushings or reg. roller axle might be the root cause of gear failure.

rrrohan
01-23-2017, 11:53 PM
I agree with changing the bearings but unless you have let run with tight bearings run to long, which is unlikely with customer complaining of jams all tge time, ive never changed tge roller

Custom Search