PDA

View Full Version : Di7210 Jamming Around the Drum

Custom Search

redhotrob
07-27-2008, 03:05 AM
I have a Di7210 that is jamming around the drum and cleaning blade
It's like there is almost no separation current. There is no high voltage coding and the image looks great.
The machine is in a print shop and has over 4 million on the meter. I would like to trash the machine, but there is still a couple years left on the lease.
The drum and both corona units have been replaced.
The machine has version 13 firmware for the image control and the printer control is version 14.
One of the other techs I work with was speaking with tech support who told of all the wonderful things that would happen to the machine if the printer control is upgraded to version 16.
I cannot find any info on this printer control version 16 other than to download the flash.
There is lots of info out there on the 7272, which is the same machine Konica style.

1) Will this printer control upgrade fix the jamming issue?

2) What other changes will the upgrade bring?

3) Will this change the customers ability to print? The machine has a Fiery controller, which I believe is different then what the 7272 has.

Thanks

ni311
07-27-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't believe that the firmware will solve the jamming issue. More, I cannot find the v16, are you sure this version exists?
Anyway, check the separating voltage, try to increase it, also check the 3 separators under the drum.

RockETop
07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I was thinking the drum separator pawls as well. Not the actual fingers, but toner can gum up where they fit on the shaft and cause intermitant jamming issues.

What jam code do you get?

ni311
07-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I had the same problem with the its little brother, DI5510. Just start the machine with the front door open, trick the sensor that the door is closed and watch the paper where and how it's jamming.

fixthecopier
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I also was thinking drum claws. With that many copies there could be other worn out things on the drum carriage. If you find nothing with the claws, I would grab a whole carriage assembly out of another machine to see if it works. The claw springs are real light weight and will get weak easy. Go ahead and change them.

dallas
07-27-2008, 12:49 PM
If you need the Firmware file, inform me.

redhotrob
07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks, I have the firmware, it was just hard to find any info on it. I've checked and it looks like the printer control is the same for the di7210 and 7272.
The code is J17-01, mostly, but not always when duplexing.
I've cheated the covers and watched the paper. It's as though it was ment to just curl up around the drum.
I've watched a di5510 and everything looks almost the same, just no jamming.

The other tech who called the tech support dude will want the firmware upgraded, as thats what he was told to do. And you know the tech support dudes tell you to update the firmware first before they look for anything else.

Any thoughts on how this might effect the printing with the Fiery. I would hate to update on thing, just to have to update something else. Our IT dude who knows this controller is just starting 2 weeks vacation.

I will look into the drum claws and swap them with those from another machine back at the shop.

dallas
07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
The machine is in a print shop and has over 4 million on the meter.
The code is J17-01, mostly, but not always when duplexing.

It sounds like a worn actuator on PS50 (ADU pre-registration sensor) or bad PS50 sensor.

redhotrob
07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I thought about that "It sounds like a worn actuator on PS50 (ADU pre-registration sensor) or bad PS50 sensor."
But I wouldn't think the PS50 would have me fishing paper out of the cleaning blade and toner recycle system.

fixthecopier
07-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I do not know what the weather is like there, but the humidity here puts curl in the paper depending on how it has been stored. Since the curl gets put in at the fuser, the paper would preform worse on the second side, with the curled edge trying to wrap around the drum. If there is any slack in the claws, it will find it. I bet by now you are tired of cleaning up the mess it makes when that one sheet makes it up there. Been there, done that!

big jase
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
if your getting j21 jams u can try increasing dc separation voltage to 150, done this on a few 7272 7165 range mcs and jamming has almost gone away
:)

RockETop
07-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I just read the solution about the issue you are experiencing. Do the firmware and the dip switch changes. It is changing some timing that should make the problem better depending on the paper curl variable.

Custom Search