PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Scan to Email guide

Custom Search

BR549
01-10-2017, 12:56 AM
I'm trying to learn how to set up scan to email on KonicaMinolta and Copystar machines. This is the only thing I'm totally lost doing. Does anyone have a guide on how to do this? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

graffitiartist7
01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Start by getting it on the network and ensure that you enter the DNS settings as they are required for the machine to communicate with the SMTP server. Hope this guide helps u out. I send it to the IT guys of some of my accounts in the event they want to use their credentials. I'd recommend practicing with a gmail account until you can do it from memory. Best of Luck! :cool:

emujo
01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Here's the basics

1. You need an SMTP, Exchange, or hosted name or IP (name is preferred and IPs change)
2. Correct DNS server address if "name" is used. (ping the IP and the name from the MFP to verify.
3. Port settings to be used and SSL/TLS requirements (These can be the same on providers like Gmail, but the customer should be required to provide these settings as you cannot be expected to guess)
4. Authentication requirements (many companies allow un authenticated mail to be sent internally, few allow outside world access without user name/password to prevent spamming). Customer should provide if the user name is in name@company.com, or an AD style like firstname.lastname.
5. The correct domain that the mail will be authenticating to (not always an issue)
6. Mail size limits if enforced
7. Access to laptop with Telnet program to test and verify mail connections
8. Any other items like SSL certs, encryption signatures (less common)
9. Your companies supporting documentation on firmware updates that resolve some email issues
10. A handy test account that you can easily setup for testing purposes. Gmail is really good for this, but you need to set the account up for very low security. Nothings nicer then to be able to say "the device can scan to email, just not with your settings"

Stay current with the email providers to watch for security changes they implement, I can't tell you the number of times the various web hosted mail providers institute a change that shuts down scan to email and the customer blames us. Our policy is we support company hosted SMTP/exchange and will work out asses off to make it work, but web hosted is hit or miss, we will try, but won't be responsible for failures, similar to fax over VOIP or digital lines.

Learn how to use Telnet and some other dos commands to trouble shoot mail issues. Lot's of stuff on you-tube and google to help. Emujo

Custom Search