PDA

View Full Version : C258 SMB errors

Custom Search

copier addict
01-20-2017, 08:30 PM
I installed a Bizhub C258 to print and scan. When installing print drivers it wouldn't automatically find the printer on the network. I had to go into devices and printers and install it manually on all the computers (6). Then while setting up SMB scanning I only worked on two of the computers. On the other four I get a 16711703 (failed to connect to the server) error when I use the host name, and a 16712692 (The user does not have write permission to the folder. The access is rejected) error when I use IP address. Has anyone had an issue like this. I'm guessing the print driver problem is related to firmware or version, however, I'm not sure what is going on with the scanning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Synthohol
01-20-2017, 08:36 PM
#1 always install manually by IP don't use a samba port it's a train wreck.
As far as smb scanning upgrade the FW to the latest. Was at a c287 this morning and smb scans didn't go through no matter what so I upgraded the FW an viola it worked right off..
Also there is another thread here about turning off a security setting under client settings in SMB that may help too.
Also make sure you add read write permissions for the user to the shared folder. Just using everyone will never work.
I posted the smb setup guide here a few threads down maybe refer to that.

Good luck.

copier addict
01-20-2017, 08:59 PM
#1 always install manually by IP don't use a samba port it's a train wreck.
As far as smb scanning upgrade the FW to the latest. Was at a c287 this morning and smb scans didn't go through no matter what so I upgraded the FW an viola it worked right off..
Also there is another thread here about turning off a security setting under client settings in SMB that may help too.
Also make sure you add read write permissions for the user to the shared folder. Just using everyone will never work.
I posted the smb setup guide here a few threads down maybe refer to that.

Good luck.

Not sure what a samba port is, but I usually install print drivers by just clicking on the extracted file and clicking "next" Works almost every time.
I will be going back next week with firmware and go from there.
Thanks.

Synthohol
01-20-2017, 09:59 PM
windows creates its own port to print via netbios.
manually adding the printer via TCP-IP is the best solid way to go.

copier addict
01-22-2017, 01:15 AM
windows creates its own port to print via netbios.
manually adding the printer via TCP-IP is the best solid way to go.

I truly do know how to install print drivers. I DO install them using IP. I am not an IT professional so netbios and samba port are greek to me. You seem to be missing what the problem is.
Normally when I install print drivers, I just click on the extracted file, the program searches the network for the printer, it finds the printer by the IP address. And then I click "Install". During this install, the program was unable to find the printer and I had to go into "Devices and printers" and use "Add a printer". I am guessing it is a firmware issue.

MFPTech
01-22-2017, 03:06 PM
I installed a Bizhub C258 to print and scan. When installing print drivers it wouldn't automatically find the printer on the network. I had to go into devices and printers and install it manually on all the computers (6). Then while setting up SMB scanning I only worked on two of the computers. On the other four I get a 16711703 (failed to connect to the server) error when I use the host name, and a 16712692 (The user does not have write permission to the folder. The access is rejected) error when I use IP address. Has anyone had an issue like this. I'm guessing the print driver problem is related to firmware or version, however, I'm not sure what is going on with the scanning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
If the search and find doesn't work when installing the print driver there are always problems. Try both CD and download the latest driver, sometimes one works and the other doesn't. You may also try a different IP for the machine. Once the driver wizard finds the machine you should be fine.
Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DigiMan
01-23-2017, 04:54 PM
I truly do know how to install print drivers. I DO install them using IP. I am not an IT professional so netbios and samba port are greek to me. You seem to be missing what the problem is.
Normally when I install print drivers, I just click on the extracted file, the program searches the network for the printer, it finds the printer by the IP address. And then I click "Install". During this install, the program was unable to find the printer and I had to go into "Devices and printers" and use "Add a printer". I am guessing it is a firmware issue.

I second the FW road..also im greek and i find this post offensive! lol :p

kahodges
01-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Always install with the IP address on a network. As far as smb (samba), you'll need to make sure the ports are open in the firewall on any workstation or server you want to scan to. Samba runs on TCP ports 137, 138, and 139 plus 445 and UDP ports 137 and 138. Go to the workstation or server running windows and create a shared folder. You want to make sure the user that you input on the copier has read and write permissions on the shared folder. You'll input the path to the shared folder, user and password on the copier to access the share.

kahodges
01-23-2017, 06:30 PM

guitar9199
01-23-2017, 06:58 PM
If the computer was unable to find the copier on the network, it's because the port is set for "NetBIOS over DHCP", which makes network discovery and SMB scan dicey at best!

This walkthrough will show you how to configure the computer's settings and make your life a lot easier!

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP with Windows (http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/enable-netbios-over-tcp-ip-with-windows.htm)

Good luck!

copier addict
01-23-2017, 08:13 PM
I second the FW road..also im greek and i find this post offensive! lol :p

I apologise, no offense was intended. I have no problems with greeks........ until now!!. LOL. :cool:

AjitN
01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Hi All
If user do not have write permission, nobody can install scan to folder.
Really do not know if Twin also will work MOST EFFECTIVELY.
One need to appreciate IT department & their company's internal security measures.
My experience is that never cross the line drawn by IT department even if user insists some features on their own.
Hope this helps

rrrohan
01-24-2017, 03:47 PM
What credentials are you using because Everyone does not mean Anyone

Is it on a domain, if so get IT to create a account for the copier.

The fact it couldnt even connect with hostname probaly means its default domain name isnt configured or DNS server address is missing.
Id write down its IP and then temp set to dhcp then back to static. Should auto correct dns settings

emujo
01-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Having the same SMB issue with C458/C258. These are replacing e series that can SMB scan to a NETAPP NAS device without issue. C458/258 get either login error, or no specified folder error. From the control panel we can browse to the NAS, login with service account, but cannot see anything past the host. I have a C368 that can scan to the NAS w/o errors so started comparing settings. The C458 is at the newest firmware/function level so there are a couple of added settings we don't see on the C368, but one thing we noticed is under SMB/SMB Server settings, the addition of "SMB Security Signature" is newly added, but the culprit looks like the default setting of "SMB Authentication Protocol" This is set to 1.0 and the NAS is set for 3.0 with an option to accept 2.0. We changed the MFP side to 1.0/2.0 and are waiting on the IT staff to make the change to the NAS. I'm thinking this may be applicable for server 2012/2016 as well. Emujo

copier addict
02-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Turns out it was norton's firewall blocking the SMB scanning. I just punched a hole in it for the copier and all is well in the world. Thanks for all the suggestions.

docdot69
02-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Aldo check firmware version on machine series with last digit 8 like c258, c308, c368 - the version of f/w G00-K5 have huge network error, and Konica Minolta withdrawn them from infohub telling to not install this version. i always use latest mass production firmware and for now its g00-g3

KM7155
08-03-2022, 02:51 PM
guys, good day.
i have problem to scan to netapp storage with c458.
no problem to scan to the root folder (\\192.168.2.8\scan),but when scan to subfolder (\\192.168.2.8\scan\scan_peter) cannot get thru with
"no sepecified folder" error message. there is another c454e in the office able to scan to the subfolder without problem. the scan folder is set to shared to everyone.
any suggestion or solution is much appreciated.

zayonc
08-03-2022, 03:44 PM
I recommend using smart folder for smb scanning on the device itself. This eliminates the fight against security policies in the client's network.

Synthohol
08-03-2022, 04:39 PM
guys, good day.
i have problem to scan to netapp storage with c458.
no problem to scan to the root folder (\\192.168.2.8\scan),but when scan to subfolder (\\192.168.2.8\scan\scan_peter) cannot get thru with
"no sepecified folder" error message. there is another c454e in the office able to scan to the subfolder without problem. the scan folder is set to shared to everyone.
any suggestion or solution is much appreciated.
create a local user called scan
password Scanner01
add user with full control to the sub folder share permissions.
everyone is not a user nor does it have a password.
check the permissions for the sub folder.

Custom Search