PDA

View Full Version : Prevent users from changing printing defaults

Custom Search

wseyller
01-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Our sales team is asking if it was possible to allow the end user to change print settings per job but to not allow them to change their default settings.

This is for a new install next mount with Bizhubs C458, C554e, 808.

So I tested a C558 pcl on our demo windows 2008 R2 server and shared it out on I set printing defaults to black/white and single sided.

From a workstation I connected to the share with a standard non admin account and I received the correct print defaults as expected.

I went to devices and printers and set the users driver to default color. Afterwards if I open a blank word doc I see that the printer keeps the color default. The server of course is still set to default black/white for clients.

I checked later on and autocolor is still set as default. I was hoping the server was change it back eventually.

Permissions are set to "Print". No manage printer permissions.

Is there are work around for this. First thing that I thought of was hide the entire control panel with group policy but that may be too extreme. Thanks.

Mr Spock
01-24-2017, 12:38 AM
If this is a domain the I would say use group policy. If not then look into the local user policy. An admin might still make changes but a standard user should not be able if set correctly.

wseyller
01-24-2017, 02:10 PM
If this is a domain the I would say use group policy. If not then look into the local user policy. An admin might still make changes but a standard user should not be able if set correctly.

It is a domain.

I went through just about all policies I could print and couldn't really find one to prevent this. From research on the net it seems it may not be possible with a policy. Yes you can set permission on the printer share. The best you can do is only allow the "print" permission but all that does it prevent the user from updating the settings on the server share. When a user changes their default print settings these are actually stored in each users registry on the local workstation. So it may only be possibly by doing something to the users registry.

Other than that I did find a policy to "Hide specified control panel items" and adding "Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters. I tested that group policy out and it works but it doesn't block modify printer settings from that new "settings" menu within windows 10.

MFPTech
01-24-2017, 03:09 PM
It is a domain.

I went through just about all policies I could print and couldn't really find one to prevent this. From research on the net it seems it may not be possible with a policy. Yes you can set permission on the printer share. The best you can do is only allow the "print" permission but all that does it prevent the user from updating the settings on the server share. When a user changes their default print settings these are actually stored in each users registry on the local workstation. So it may only be possibly by doing something to the users registry.

Other than that I did find a policy to "Hide specified control panel items" and adding "Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters. I tested that group policy out and it works but it doesn't block modify printer settings from that new "settings" menu within windows 10.
use driver package or install 2 drivers, B&W and color.
Users preferences are different from printing defaults.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

rrrohan
01-24-2017, 03:23 PM
I would ask the customer what they want to achieve. In my experiance sales people often complicate things due to lack of understanding.

You may just want to setup favourites in the driver as in my experiance tge favourites always revert back once tge application is closed.

emujo
01-24-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm confused as to what you are trying to do..

If you go onto server shared printer/properties/advanced/printer defaults, and make the setting changes you want, then these changes are reflected when the user connects to the shared printer. But, these are only printer preference defaults, the user still has the capability to manage their own printer preference defaults. Any changes they make get updated in some registry key somewhere, changing the security permissions only adds/deletes permission to make "property" changes like port settings, or configuration settings, delete other users jobs, ect. If the users do not make any changes to their preferences, then what ever changes they made for a particular print job (selecting color or hole punch) should revert back to the defaults once the application is closed and re opened. Emujo

wseyller
01-24-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm confused as to what you are trying to do..

If you go onto server shared printer/properties/advanced/printer defaults, and make the setting changes you want, then these changes are reflected when the user connects to the shared printer.

Yes that is working as it should

But, these are only printer preference defaults, the user still has the capability to manage their own printer preference defaults.

That is what we don't want to happen

Any changes they make get updated in some registry key somewhere,

Yes that I can see that happening.

changing the security permissions only adds/deletes permission to make "property" changes like port settings, or configuration settings, delete other users jobs, ect.

Yes I agree that is how it works.

If the users do not make any changes to their preferences, then what ever changes they made for a particular print job (selecting color or hole punch) should revert back to the defaults once the application is closed and re opened. Emujo

Yes that is how it works. If defaulted to black and they choose color that is OK. This customer wants to allow that. And then on a new job the default will still be black unless they select color for that job.

Problem is that they don't want the user to be able to go to devices and printers to change their personal default print settings to color which would make all jobs default to color. They want to allow them to print in color but they want to force the user to explicitly choose color each time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

emujo
01-24-2017, 08:53 PM
This could take some work, and I think it's possible..I think you are going to have to utilize single sign on, set up authentication via AD on the device, put the MFP on the domain, install the special SSO drivers, and grant/deny copier permission rights. Might be a software solution that could provide this functionality easier then this. Emujo

wseyller
01-25-2017, 12:16 PM
This could take some work, and I think it's possible..I think you are going to have to utilize single sign on, set up authentication via AD on the device, put the MFP on the domain, install the special SSO drivers, and grant/deny copier permission rights. Might be a software solution that could provide this functionality easier then this. Emujo
Well they will have copitrak from Nuance which I know little about. The guys from Nuance are supposed to handle all aspects of this per the agreement. A few Bizhubs with many users.

Not sure if built in external authentication would conflict or if copitrak could provide any solution.

I know currently some users get a pop-up to enter client matter number and such.

emujo
01-25-2017, 04:21 PM
If it's a server based copytrack and they can configure some print rules, they may be able to build a rule that either forces B&W, or requires a "yeah I'm sure" prompt. If it's the box next to the MFP, then I don't think this can be managed the same way. Emujo

rrrohan
01-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Wait till install and deal with it then. The best advise i can give when dealing with sales people is dont. At very least talk to the customer directly and disregard everything sales tells you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

REGSIS
01-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Well they will have copitrak from Nuance which I know little about. The guys from Nuance are supposed to handle all aspects of this per the agreement. A few Bizhubs with many users.

Not sure if built in external authentication would conflict or if copitrak could provide any solution.

I know currently some users get a pop-up to enter client matter number and such.

And the amount saved by utilising copitrak will be paid as monthly fee to Nuance (roughly speaking). That cost saving measure isn't free, it's an expense.

And why pay for something if they have all that on MFP (user authentification and account track) for free.

wseyller
01-25-2017, 09:40 PM
If it's a server based copytrack and they can configure some print rules, they may be able to build a rule that either forces B&W, or requires a "yeah I'm sure" prompt. If it's the box next to the MFP, then I don't think this can be managed the same way. Emujo
I think there may be a box from Nuance involved which was connected with a cable on the right side of the copier that works with the billing mode. They had already installed demo equipment at the customer site previously to tested it out and the customer liked it I guess.

I am not really the one doing the install. I don't even work much with copiers anymore as I am in a different division now doing managed IT support. I was consulted in a meeting to look into this possibility.

Custom Search