PDA

View Full Version : C658 tick, tick, tick, tick

Custom Search

andyf424
02-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Anybody else having problems with c658 c558 fusers ticking? I've got one and it sounds like a c552 fuser rotation sensor, remember how those fusers would tick out of the box.......

Just wondering if other techs out there are running into this.

Woxner
02-01-2017, 07:33 PM
i havent used one of the fuser kits they came with but this might be part of the fix. the other part is to make them last longer i think.

Iowatech
02-02-2017, 01:20 AM
For what it is worth, on the Ricohs I used to work on a sound like that was one of the fuser rollers rotating a different speed (usually somewhat faster) than the inner race of it's bearings.
Although if that machine has teflon bushings between the rollers and their bearings or uses a sleeve for the heat roller, the preceding was entirely a waste of time and I apologize.
Otherwise some high temp lube on the part of the rollers that go through the bearings is likely to silence that noise. Don't use non-high temp lube, I tried that and it want badly for me.

Mitch Barron
02-02-2017, 02:36 PM
I have had this problem in the past. I know there is also a bulletin out on it. I just had a look to see if I could find but sadly, no dice! I do know however though that this problem is due to the way the chassis of the fusing unit is screwed to the main body. I appologize if my terminology is poor, but i only know the part names in German. Hear me out though. Take out the fusing unit and take off all the plastic coverings you can see. I believe there is only 3. One on either end and one kind of wrapped around the body. Take them all off and then have a look at the unit. You will see the plate (this plate has the holes where the fuser is screwed to the main unit) can actually be seperated/adjusted with (i think) 2 screws. I hope that makes sense. I will have a look out for that bulletin, as I am sure I have it laying around here somewhere. When I find it I will post it. Now for the sad and annoying part of the task. When you loosen the screws on the mounting plate then it becomes a trial and error. Adjust it a bit and try it, adjust it a bit and try it, adjust it a bit and try it...you get my drift. Sad thing it is to say the least, but I can guarantee it works. I have fixed a few already and have even had to go so far to flex the complete unit so that it ran true. Before you pull all your hair out though....send it back under guarantee (if that option is still available for you). Hope it helps! Let me know if I can help you further! Now get back to work! Clock is tickin'.

Peace!

P.s. tick, tick, tick, tick, tick

andyf424
02-09-2017, 03:48 PM
So, the ticking sound seems to have gone away on its own. Konica sent me a new fuser, I'll hang on to it in case the ticking returns. I did find a bulletin with dipsw settings to shut off fuser rotation. The bulletin is actually for polygon rotation but it shows silent mode level 2, fuser does not rotate at idle.

Mitch Barron
02-10-2017, 06:46 AM
Happy you got it sorted. plus a new fuser to boot! I don't believe I have ever seen that Bulletin about silet Level. Would you mind sharing the TNI?

PS, I have had it go silent on it's own too in the past, but it always manages to come back.

Thanks!

Mitch

jmaister
08-12-2019, 07:38 AM
i seem to be targetting old threads... call me late bloomer if you will.j

From C558

The brown cog is the source of the ticking sound. If it were from the fuser.

Synaux
08-12-2019, 07:29 PM
So, the ticking sound seems to have gone away on its own. Konica sent me a new fuser, I'll hang on to it in case the ticking returns. I did find a bulletin with dipsw settings to shut off fuser rotation. The bulletin is actually for polygon rotation but it shows silent mode level 2, fuser does not rotate at idle.

Silent Mode Level 2? That is a new one on me, never really understood why the fuser always rotates when not in power saving mode.
Can you share that bulletin? I wonder if it works for old models too... ?

tech51
08-12-2019, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=Synaux;794496]Silent Mode Level 2? That is a new one on me, never really understood why the fuser always rotates when not in power saving mode.

It’s because the rollers are being heated when idling.

If they didn’t rotate you could potentially get flats in the rollers.

Synaux
08-12-2019, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Synaux;794496]Silent Mode Level 2? That is a new one on me, never really understood why the fuser always rotates when not in power saving mode.

It’s because the rollers are being heated when idling.

If they didn’t rotate you could potentially get flats in the rollers.

Fair enough, but then that begs the question why they are being heated just because the screen is on. There are numerous conditions that can make the fuser run indefinitely until tended to.

This also begs the question if this Silent Mode Level 2 stops the heating of the fuser while idling as well.

tech51
08-12-2019, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=tech51;794503]

Fair enough, but then that begs the question why they are being heated just because the screen is on. There are numerous conditions that can make the fuser run indefinitely until tended to.

This also begs the question if this Silent Mode Level 2 stops the heating of the fuser while idling as well.
Well power save is called that for a reason, it turns off any fuser heating and some other things.

In idling mode it’s ready to copy, ie fully warmed up.

And yes silent mode turns off the heaters which is why in the documentation it states a longer first copy out time due to the fact it has to warm up again.

Regards.

Synaux
08-13-2019, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=Synaux;794510]
Well power save is called that for a reason, it turns off any fuser heating and some other things.

In idling mode it’s ready to copy, ie fully warmed up.

And yes silent mode turns off the heaters which is why in the documentation it states a longer first copy out time due to the fact it has to warm up again.

Regards.

I hear yah, but this methodology is myopic at best (in my opinion). Even out of power saving mode they print within seconds. Seems like planned obsolescence...:rolleyes:

Also, if not too much trouble, can you provide the document?

copier tech
11-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Hijacking a thread here but, how does one turn off the fuser idle setting?

I understand this prevents flats spots etc but for some clients a fuser rotating while the machine is not in use is not practical & the squeak the fuser eventually makes is not acceptable.

rrrohan
11-15-2019, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=tech51;794503]
There are numerous conditions that can make the fuser run indefinitely until tended to.

reminds me of a customer who put one of their old offices up for sale and left copier there as a freebie for anyone who buys the building.

well it sat for 5 months on a print job that was asking to load thick 1 paper. so the fuser was at temp for like 3700 hours lol

tsbservice
11-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Hijacking a thread here but, how does one turn off the fuser idle setting?

I understand this prevents flats spots etc but for some clients a fuser rotating while the machine is not in use is not practical & the squeak the fuser eventually makes is not acceptable.

It's in your manual, check Engine FW DipSW section for proper switches. Personally I don't recommend it, but if you cannot find switches PM me.

Custom Search