PDA

View Full Version : Re: Minolta Di620 Image Quality Problem...

Custom Search

Copycat2
08-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how to restore image quality on a Minolta Di620 B&W copier/printer? It seems that when duplexing, the previous page (two or three images back) are lightly imaging over the current page. So what I'm getting are pages coming out of the machine with a lighter, secondary image that is the image from two or three pages before it. I really didn't want to replace the drum as a new one is over $600 and besides, doesn't a "bad" drum make many fine lines and/or gives the prints a "toned in" look of a printing press? Actually, if it wasn't for the faint/light secondary image, the quality would be excellent.

I've replaced almost every part in the fusing unit including: lower fuser roller, upper fuser roller, web roller, fusing web, and web motor. Maybe there's something else I'm missing? I've even inspected and cleaned the erase lamp!

Besides not replacing the drum, I still have old developer inside the machine that's been sitting for a few years (or longer). I don't know if old developer would cause a faint image to appear over the current image or not.

The only thing that has been unusual is a slight buildup of toner under the drum. There's a small strip of metal just below the drum that forms part of the metal, slide out housing that holds the developer unit and drum. Toner seems to be gathering on this metal strip. Not a lot, but just enough to cleanup periodically.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I don't think it's the expensive drum. At least I don't think it is.

minimerlin
08-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Have you stopped the machine to look at the image on the drum?

fixthecopier
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
On the 520/620 machines I would get about 900,000 to 1,000,000 before I would have to replace the drum, however the blade can go early. I just replaced one for ghost image and had to change it again 3 weeks later. Make sure you have it powered well when you install. Use toner if it comes dry.

Copycat2
08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi minimerlin,

No, I never thought of that. I guess I'll have to rig the copier so that the door stays open so I can stop it precisely before the paper reaches the drum. Or do I just open the door randomly while the machine is duplexing?

Also, how long can the developer last sitting in the machine? I've got about 37,000 11x17 images on this batch of developer, then the machine sat idol for over three years or so. Does the cleaning blade have to be replaced occasionally or only when the drum is replaced? And finally, are there any secondary erase lamps in a Minolta Di620?

Thanks for the question minimerlin, I am stymied on this one - as this machine has always been a "no brainer" to fix and the quality has always been 600 dpi crisp, clear and clean!!!

Copycat2
08-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the advice on the cleaning blade fixthecopier,

I'm at a loss as to why this machine is producing such "dirty" copies. It's quality was always stellar, even outperforming every laser printer in the office when connected and used as a network printer. Then, after moving it upstairs in the office and letting it sit for more than a few years, the quality has all but disappeared. I've even replaced most of the parts in the fuser unit to get the output quality back, but to no avail. That's what I like about these machines (520/620 models) - the fuser unit doesn't get replaced in its entirety like some newer machines (very expensive for the end user).

You had mentioned: "Make sure you have it powered well when you install." Were you referring to the AC power supply at the mains? Should the machine have its own dedicated plug? It shares this 15 amp circuit with a few computers all connected to a 15 amp breaker. The breaker has never shut off at the panel though, and there seems to be plenty of "juice" for everything that's connected.

bgbas
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Fixthecopier misspelled, should have been powdered the blade as in setting powder or toner. I like his suggestion of changing out the blade.

fixthecopier
08-09-2008, 01:42 AM
You are correct, I did not check my spelling. I had a 520 with a very crisp double image, about 1 month ago. I replaced the blade with a new aftermarket blade made in Viet Nam. After 2 weeks they called back with it doing it much worse. Out of new blades, I went to the warehouse and pulled a blade off a machine that had been sitting for 3 years and it worked great. To answer your other question, I have put these back in the field after sitting for years with no problems. The DV system is great. My machines would run until they just ran out of developer at around 900,000, making good copies til the end. Try another blade, it is the cheapest thing you can do.

Copycat2
08-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again...

You guys are great!!! Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions.

I've ordered a brand new OEM Konica Minolta Cleaning Blade today. And I'm thinking I changed the Upper Fuser Roller unnecessarily because when I slid the developer unit back in, closed the door and powered her up, SAME IMAGING PROBLEM AS BEFORE! There were still faint/light images from previous pages all over the main image. Yes, they were much lighter than the main image, but they made the prints look so dirty.

To think that a simple $40 part will solve this issue is mind boggling, to say the least.

I will post an update after I install the new part (#1074-0904-01 - CLEANING BLADE KIT). Hopefully this will solve the image quality mystery - at least for me!

Silvio Ribeiro
08-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Friend I have had this defect in my DI620 and was only replace the drum and blade of cleaning and solved the problem, and has a blade of cleaning and drum AEG brand that is very good.

Custom Search