PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Ineo +227 networking issue

Custom Search

Pig
03-24-2017, 02:07 PM
We're having a strange issue with the system in one of our regional offices. They have 7 Windows 10 PCs, 1 CentOS PC, a NAS drive, a router and a KM Ineo +227 printer/copier all connected through a network switch. This was all working fine until a couple of weeks ago when, on returning to work after the weekend, we noticed that the printer was offline on all PCs. Since then we have narrowed it down to the problem only occurring when a specific computer is joined to the network - it works fine what that PC is off/unplugged. Since then this is what we have tried:

- returning the printer to the shop - they set it up and tested it and said it was all working perfectly

- them arranging for a subcontracted engineer to go to the office - he had no idea and only succeeded in changing the language on the copier to Korean and factory re-setting the router (the DHCP server)

- using different network cables/ports for the problem PC and printer - no effect

- uninstalling/reinstalling the printer using the latest drivers - no effect, though it does print the test pages 1.5hrs later and only after numerous reboots

- setting the PC and printer to have specific IP addresses (they were both using different addresses anyway)

- plugging the problem PC directly into the printer with a network cable - IP addresses changed on both PC and printer, tried adding as a new printer but won't detect the printer
- updating the drivers of the problem PC's network adapter - made no difference
- swapping the HDD of the problem PC into another system - the printer still didn't work (though I'm pretty sure it worked at first, but on repeating it failed)

- swapping the HDD of another PC into the problem system - the printer worked fine

- swapping the printer for another network printer - the new printer worked fine on all PCs (and was detected/installed automatically on all of them)

- resetting the printer's network settings to factory default - made no difference
- switching off SNMP on all network-connected PCs as per numerous Google threads - printer no longer appears offline but causes an unspecified error (i.e. Windows just shows the status of the printer as just "Error") whenever you try to print

Additional info:
- the problem PC can always successfully ping the printer's address, both as part of the larger network and when they are connected directly to one another.
- whenever the problem PC is disconnected from the network the printer works fine for all the other PCs but when you reconnect it the printer sometimes says an error has occurred and it must reboot, which it then proceeds to do automatically
- this all started happening over the weekend - it was working fine last thing on Friday but was showing as offline on Monday morning.

With my superficial knowledge of networking I think we've only managed to narrow it down to a combination of that HDD in that PC connected to the network and through that the printer that causes it to fail. However, the errors on the printer (there used to be another one with a specific error code - c-e301 - which seems to apply to a huge number of potential problems) might suggest that it is more an issue with the printer itself.

Any help would be much appreciated please, we're tearing our hair out here trying to think of a solution!

Many thanks

Synthohol
03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Try locking in the network speed like 100 duplex.
The network card on the copier is auto negotiating a speed and if the router/switch is also auto negotiating I have seen them not agree on a speed and causing connection issues.
Worth a look.

Elmo
03-24-2017, 04:59 PM
If as you say the copier works fine until you connect 1 particular pc i think you can assume the copier is not the problem

unless you are using the same fixed ip address for both that 1 pc and the copier

i would look to see if the pc was updated over the weekend or possibly a virus has infected it
the copier is a simple device if it works with the other pc's then it is very unlikely to be the cause of the problem

peterdebreakeder
03-24-2017, 05:47 PM
IP V4 alternate configuration?

allan
03-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Going on a whim here. MAC address seems like the only constant and the record of it on the HDD of the PC.

Quick Tips: Flush the ARP cache in Windows 7 - TechRepublic (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tips-flush-the-arp-cache-in-windows-7/)

Pig
03-27-2017, 08:52 AM
The network card on the copier is auto negotiating a speed and if the router/switch is also auto negotiating I have seen them not agree on a speed and causing connection issues.
Worth a look.

Going on a whim here. MAC address seems like the only constant and the record of it on the HDD of the PC.

Quick Tips: Flush the ARP cache in Windows 7 - TechRepublic

Thanks all for the replies! I will look into them and get back to you.

If as you say the copier works fine until you connect 1 particular pc i think you can assume the copier is not the problem

unless you are using the same fixed ip address for both that 1 pc and the copier

i would look to see if the pc was updated over the weekend or possibly a virus has infected it
the copier is a simple device if it works with the other pc's then it is very unlikely to be the cause of the problem

Thought of this unfortunately no results from virus scans and as far as I can make out there have been no windows updates or updates of any programs over the weekend. The closest update was of Adobe programs such as reader, Indesign ect three days before and that updated on all of our computers without issue.

Pig
03-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Worth a look.

Quick Tips: Flush the ARP cache in Windows 7 - TechRepublic

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have a look at them and get back to you.

I did carry out an anti virus scan but nothing turned up and as far as I can tell the only things that updated near when the problem started were adobe programs such as read, Indesign ect three days before and these updated on all the other computers without issue.

Pig
03-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Here's the results so far:

Worth a look.

I gave that a try and managed to lock it on my network adapter and the printer but couldn't find the setting on the router - no luck though.

I did carry out an anti virus scan but nothing turned up and as far as I can tell the only things that updated near when the problem started were Adobe programmes such as Acrobat, InDesign etc. three days before and these updated on all the other computers in the network without issue.

Quick Tips: Flush the ARP cache in Windows 7 - TechRepublic (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tips-flush-the-arp-cache-in-windows-7/)

Just tried this - cache was successfully flushed but it's still saying the printer is in an "error state".

Pig
03-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Would it be worth trying a factory reset on the PC?

Elmo
03-27-2017, 11:19 AM
With the pc connected to the network does the printer error
or is it ok until you try to send a page from the pc

Pig
03-27-2017, 11:48 AM
With the pc connected to the network does the printer error
or is it ok until you try to send a page from the pc

Yes, when the PC is connected to the network the printer errors. The printer is unable to print or scan (to a folder on the NAS drive) but it will still copy. In copy mode the light to the left of the screen flashes red and the status constantly switches between "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax":

When it's like this I can't enter the Utility menu to check any settings. Also, the printer appears offline to all computers on the network.

Elmo
03-27-2017, 11:54 AM
it sounds like a piece of software on the pc is triggering the error on the printer
try turning off the anti virus and firewall software on the pc then reconnect to the network see what happens

the preparing user box usually shows while the printer is loading up its system usually after its been turned on or rebooted
the printer does contain a hdd which could cause a problem if faulty
but as the printer works with all the other pc's on the network i dont think the printer is the problem

Pig
03-27-2017, 12:14 PM
it sounds like a piece of software on the pc is triggering the error on the printer
try turning off the anti virus and firewall software on the pc then reconnect to the network see what happens

Nope... still not working.

Thanks for the help though :)

Elmo
03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
try connecting the pc to the printer via a usb cable see if it causes the printer to error

you said you connected the pc directly to the printer via a network cable but it couldn't find the printer
did you use a cross over cable not a standard network cable to do that

Pig
03-27-2017, 02:17 PM
try connecting the pc to the printer via a usb cable see if it causes the printer to error
So, that works. I've plugged the un-networked PC into the printer via USB while leaving the printer plugged into the network and it prints fine. Scanning and printing from other PCs also works fine. However, as soon as I plug the PC back into the network it all dies again, even when I keep the printer plugged into it via USB.

you said you connected the pc directly to the printer via a network cable but it couldn't find the printer
did you use a cross over cable not a standard network cable to do that
Good point, I think it'll have been a standard cable.

Elmo
03-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Can you have a good look at the network port on the pc it has any damage it could be the cause

emujo2
03-27-2017, 07:34 PM
The only sure way to find what is happening here is to run wireshark and capture the network traffic as you place that PC on line. I would also suggest turning off all unused protocols 1 by 1 (IPV6, IPX, apple talk etc) to see if anything changes. Maybe if you can narrow it down to an SNMP or SSDP issue you can configure the PC in question to disable these settings. Emujo

Synthohol
03-27-2017, 10:24 PM
or just explain its a PC problem the copier is fine.
why are you jumping through hoops? do you provide their IT services?
if not its not your problem.
you would spend less time and money buying a USB to RJ45 adapter for 10 dollars and divorce this PC you married.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HLII/ref=asc_df_B00M77HMU04912040/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00M77HMU0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140037427&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11146311602191070849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003550&hvtargid=pla-195027879195&th=1

allan
03-27-2017, 10:45 PM
The same thing is going to happen...

Synthohol
03-28-2017, 04:10 AM
if that's the case then that takes the PC out of the equation right?
then maybe the actual network drop? or port on the switch?

Pig
03-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I only have a basic knowledge of networking so your suggestions have been much appreciated.

We have reset the PC and it all seems to be working fine so far... We'll put the programmes back on one by one and check the printer status after each install.

P.S. sorry for the triple post above, my reply wasn't showing up so I posted again.

Custom Search