PDA

View Full Version : possible career change advice

Custom Search

DarthAlbin
08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Maybe there are some IKON people here that might help me (thanks in advance).

Right now I work for a Konica Minolta Dealer as a service technician. In my time here the dealer has taken good care of me (company car with personal use that includes all gas, laptop, training, BlackBerry). In my (less than ten years more than five) time here I've built a good reputation and would get an interview if a management position opened. up. I am very eager to grow my career. I may have to wait in excess of five years from now for a position to open up. I've already been waiting two years.

However there may be an oportunity to move to IKON in the Professional Services area, possibly as a Solutions Analyst. It means less screwdriver and toner time, and more software/connectivity time (which is a plus). I don't know if that would include a car, laptop, or phone (very handy in doing this work I'm sure you know).

I'm not unhappy where I am. However, I am looking to advance my career.

I'm looking for anonymous feedback on the situation. As you can imagine I can't talk with my co-workers about this and I'm looking for an informed opinion.

Thanks in advance...

blackcat4866
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Firstly, congratulations on you great good fortune finding this opportunity.

I am an ex-Ikon tech. During my first 4 years the pay was not so great, but that changed when Alco Office Solutions became Ikon. I was working my axx off putting in 70+ hours, and getting paid for 40. Sure the pay was good, but not 30 hrs per week for free-good.

For me, I wouldn't go back. I like working for a mom & pop where my opinions are valued, and asked for frequently. No one at Ikon ever cared for my opinion, much less asked for them.

I don't really expect this to help you make your decision. I'm still ambivalent about my experiences with Ikon. I hope you make the right choice for yourself. Good Luck! =^..^=

DarthAlbin
08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Your opinion is helpful.

What was you opinion of the Solution analyst type role at IKON. Did it exist then?

blackcat4866
08-11-2008, 12:59 AM
The solution analyst position didn't exist, at least at our branch. There were a dozen techs, four sales people, & two managers. There was only one guy in the state that had those responsibilities. Very few digitals were actually networked in 2002. Nobody was scanning, and perhaps two dozen printing in my service area. There was very little call for anything beyond loading a few print drivers.

=^..^=

DarthAlbin
08-11-2008, 01:13 AM
That too is helpful. Thanks again...

blackcat4866
08-11-2008, 01:39 AM
I know this will be a difficult time, having to make decisions that can affect your whole life. Give it a lot of thought. =^..^=

Custom Search