PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C1060 - intermitent loud noise like tractor trailer horn + old subway car

Custom Search

CJ923
05-04-2017, 08:08 PM
:confused: Hello, non-copy-tech here (I do printing at a high volume print-friendly UPS Store.) We've had a C1060 for a little over a year. Overall it's performed fine, more or less, all headaches curable EXCEPT ONE:

Sometimes (make that often) during printing the printer will start making a loud sound that's a cross between a truck's air horn. an old NYC subway train rounding a corner, and that whistle some people can do using a blade of grass. It's a constant sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the PFU section (near the post for the monitor, but inside the machine of course.)

It starts at a random moment but only seems to happen when we're printing 'a quantity' of something. Say more than 20 pages or so. It doesn't start immediately, and more often than not it DOESN'T do it at all, but it does it enough for it to be A Problem and it's doing it more often of late.

Pressing the Stop button stops the noise. Opening the PFU door does this as well.
I'd like to avoid that second temporary fix but that means either finding the actual solution to this or keeping he-who-signs-my-paychecks away from the machine.

Our KM techs, while incredibly helpful, don't have an answer. Unfortunately the noise starts up at random and there's never been a tech here when it does. I'm hoping someone else out there recognizes my description and can give our techs, and us, something to look for, remove, hit with a hammer, etc. I saw the similar thread regarding the C451 but I don't think it describes our situation (but I don't know - not a tech.) (But also not a moron ;-)

Any of you folks recognize anything here and what would you suggest we do?

Thanks!

Synthohol
05-04-2017, 10:53 PM
does the PFU have air assist on? maybe its a howling fan?
only other vibration noise i can think of is a shaft vibrating in a bushing somewhere, that would reverb through the whole unit sometimes.
but check the fans, turn them off or on full blast 100% and see if it makes any difference.

good luck.

CJ923
05-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Steve our excellent tech was just here and we managed to get the printer to make the noise (after about an hour of attempts. We have a LOT of letterhead now....)

Evidently the culprit is a nylon belt in the PFU motor assembly that he thinks was 'over-greased' and was going to try cleaning it off, but remembered we're still under contract, so a whole new PFU motor assembly arrives tomorrow.

Thank you Synthohol for your words of wisdom last week. It was the motor, not the fans, but perhaps your comment saved us a bit of time investigating. If you're ever in my part of the 'verse, I owe you a glass of something green.

Custom Search