PDA

View Full Version : Applying setting powder -- how exactly? how liberally, and to what?

Custom Search

jay3
05-07-2017, 04:30 AM
I'm replacing a transfer belt on a C6500 and noticed in the instructions (so far) to apply setting powder:

- "before installing belt cleaner unit, apply setting powder to...* "
and

- "to half the area of the transfer belt* "

Where * seems to basically be the large area of transfer belt between the belt cleaner unit & separation claw assy.

I read elsewhere that if you don't have OEM "setting powder" (which I don't have) you can use OEM yellow toner (which I have plenty).

But how... to apply? I've never seen this done before. Does anyone have a video? Or really good text instructions?

Thank you!

jay3
05-07-2017, 06:17 AM
I think I did it right... but so far no good.

C-4522 error upon reboot. :(

Wiped the 2 sensors + gamma sensor with clean cotton cloth & rebooting again....

jay3
05-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Well... it works. Except there's some greasy scuffing track lines that you can see when the light hits prints a certain way.

ysshin79
05-07-2017, 01:56 PM
I'm replacing a transfer belt on a C6500 and noticed in the instructions (so far) to apply setting powder:

- "before installing belt cleaner unit, apply setting powder to...* "
and

- "to half the area of the transfer belt* "

Where * seems to basically be the large area of transfer belt between the belt cleaner unit & separation claw assy.

I read elsewhere that if you don't have OEM "setting powder" (which I don't have) you can use OEM yellow toner (which I have plenty).

But how... to apply? I've never seen this done before. Does anyone have a video? Or really good text instructions?

Thank you!

Yes. Yellow toner(6501 toner) apply. No problem.

blackcat4866
05-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Setting powder comes in a cloth bag that you can tap directly on the drum or belt without any resulting damage. Each time you tap the bag to the surface it gives you a roundish puff of powder. I'll dust about 1/3 of the transfer belt, rotate it 1/3, repeat two more times. If you've ever opened up an OEM drum, they come pre-dusted, as a reference.

If you're using yellow toner, put it in a salt shaker. Only you can't tap it against the belt.

If the cleaning blade doesn't flip, you did it right. =^..^=

jay3
05-07-2017, 05:44 PM
If the cleaning blade doesn't flip, you did it right. =^..^=

Didn't flip :) .... but I wouldn't go so far as to say I did it right (see photo). Like your idea of salt shaker... thinking also maybe of one of those 99 cent store clear nozzle-tip condiment dispensers shake-up, puff a little out, repeat. Or thinking of how KM does it, maybe a satchel of some sort that allows it to puff out on same manner.

I had basically committed to.... "I will probably need to buy another transfer belt, but here goes nothing...." :) I essentially did it pinching and throwing a little at it Emeril Lagasse style then dabbed very gently (bad) with my freshly gloved finger.

blackcat4866
05-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Not ideal, but certainly adequate. Next time lay the belt assembly flat on the table. =^..^=

Phil B.
05-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Didn't flip :) .... but I wouldn't go so far as to say I did it right (see photo). Like your idea of salt shaker... thinking also maybe of one of those 99 cent store clear nozzle-tip condiment dispensers shake-up, puff a little out, repeat. Or thinking of how KM does it, maybe a satchel of some sort that allows it to puff out on same manner.

I had basically committed to.... "I will probably need to buy another transfer belt, but here goes nothing...." :) I essentially did it pinching and throwing a little at it Emeril Lagasse style then dabbed very gently (bad) with my freshly gloved finger.

i have seen some guys use their wives old panty hose ( foot section ) and doubled it up with powder inside and lightly tap on drum or belt.. then store the remainder in a small ziplock baggie

Desert Rat
05-10-2017, 03:13 AM
I use the Methuselah powder. It's alittle more expensive but it works great. A friend gave me half a bottle 3 years ago
and I still have about a quarter bottle left.
I have a very soft small cloth. Folded in fourths and I keep it in a zip lock baggy with some powder.
I can open the bag and tap on it and puff the powder out. It works so well I use very little. I can take the cloth
and gently wipe the transfer or drum blade for perfect pre-conditioning. A little more on the belt or drum, give it a turn
and you will notice how easy it turns and how fast it you get to that point where it turns easy.
I forgot where he got it at. I'll problably retire before I use it all. :)

DR

Custom Search