PDA

View Full Version : Mac printing issues

Custom Search

copierwhisper
05-13-2017, 04:35 PM
I have a C451 that has been in this particular office for years, its 100% Mac environment. They have one pdf that will not print. When it's sent (from any of the Macs) the blue data light blinks endlessly and prevents all other print jobs from processing. Reboot the machine and printing of all other documents resumes. I can print that suspect pdf to their machine with my PC no problem. I understand that at times certain unknown characters or something within the file may cause printing issues like this, but I would love the technical explanation. One that doesn't sound like total bullshit to the customer. Is it a "language" issue PS vs. PCL and is there a workaround/solution?

Synthohol
05-13-2017, 06:43 PM
put it on a flash drive and print from the control panel. if its still an issue the file is NFG.

copierwhisper
05-13-2017, 07:59 PM
If it does print via usb from the control panel why wouldn't it print from the computer?

D_L_P
05-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Go utilities-> user settings-> printer settings-> ps settings-> print ps errors, set to 'on'. At least this should stop the job, display an error, and give the users the option to cancel the job instead of hanging with a flashing blue light.

Search for a guetenprint driver if you want to test another driver, since pcl isnt an option for mac.

Have them use a different app to print pdf's, like foxit. I had one just this week where one specific pdf would cause a firmware error but printed fone with foxit.
Gl

KenB
05-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Not knowing exactly what's happening, it's hard to say for sure.

You didn't say if you are printing from your PC with a PS or PCL driver.

If it's PCL, this may help.

I had a very similar issue years back; the PDF would print OK with PCL, but not with PS.

Turned out that some of the fonts that the file called for were not "standard", and weren't included in the file.

I had the customer redistill the PDF (I think it was coming from InDesign), and include the fonts; that fixed the problem.

PCL worked OK because PCL drivers actually grab the font from the screen, and don't have to have it provided.

The moral of the story is that, at least in general, PS is much more particular about fonts (and graphics) than is PCL.

Synthohol
05-13-2017, 10:00 PM
MACs dont do PCL.
will it print from a windows laptop? thats how i would approach.
this way if its a driver issue at least you narrowed it down.

hey just as a reminder, if you open terminal, type cupsctl WebInterface=yes
hit enter.
open a browser and go to localhost:631/printers
from there you have much more control over default settings on all your printers

Custom Search