PDA

View Full Version : minolta di250 resetting imaging unit

Custom Search

zxcvbnm
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
A minolta di250 gave the error message "the imaging unit needs to be changed. call your technical representative" the local school decided they were about ready for a new copier anyway after 300,000 prints so would just throw the di250 away. My neighbour though this was wastefull and built in obscelesance as it worked fine until the error message stopped it. This is why I now have my neighbours photocopier in our shed for the last year under a dust cover.

So I though while he was on holiday I might have a bash at it. Photocopying might be nice to have next door and if I can get it to work it would be a nice suprise and I could get him to share. I have read around on the internet and come to the conclusion I need to either buy a new imaging unit, around £120 which is a lot for a bit of old copying. Or reset the imaging units fuse which might let it go a few more thousand copies. This is what I am trying to do at the moment.

I can see the katun reset fuses available for $5 in the USA but I can not see them in the UK. I did read someone say they managed to just use a bit of wire. So I unscrewed the little box bit with the fuse and put a paperclip into the clear plastic jacket sleeve so it bypassed the fuse but touched the wire on either side. My thinking was it would then think the fuse was working and the imaging unit was ok.

This got me away from the service error message screen and to an enter four digit "access key" screen. I don't know the key and can't find out for a week till my neighbour returns. I tried 1234 and 1066 and after a few guesses I recieved error message c13c0 however when I turned off the machine and started it again it went back to the enter access key screen so I'm hoping its just the error code for "you have entered too many wrong access keys" rather then the "you've just killed the copier with a paper clip you idiot" code.

I tried removing the paper clip and the machine went back to the "change imaging unit" message. Which is odd as I thought if I had rest it succesfully it would now stay good for 60,000 copies? Reading more it suggests perhaps you have to have a working fuse which then blows and then that tells the copier it has a new imaging unit? Which seems odd but perhaps? So should I try and insert the imaging unit with the fuse box hanging loose and try and start the copier, then remove the paperclip after a few seconds to simulate a fuse going? Or is this a stupid idea?

Cleary I don't know much about electronics or copiers but its make it work or take it to the tip. So I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to proceed.

Can I reset it with a paperclip or other piece of wire or is this on the wrong track?

If not does anyone know were I can get a reset fuse in the United Kingdom? I looked for a generic equivelent and these mini axial fuses were the closest looking I could find eBay.co.uk Shop - Fuses uk: Micro miniature axial fuses: (http://tinyurl.com/649q54) eBay.co.uk Shop - Fuses uk: Micro miniature axial fuses: (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fuses-uk_All-fuses_Micro-miniature-axial-fuses_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13785931QQftidZ2QQtZk m)
might a 125ma one do? Is there a specific ampage I should look for?

Oh and if there is reset switch or something to clear the copiers access codes and service codes that would be nice.

Does anyone know what the worrying error code c13c0 actually means?

Thankyou very much for any help.

(Incidentally if anyone else is looking for this problem I found the instrucions for the reset fuse here
http://www.katun.com/downloads/mn-di200-iu-ri.pdf
and a possible di250 manual here which is for a hitatchi but they seem very similar
http://www.rpsa.ricoh.com/techsup/manuals/DDC35n/DDC35n-UserGuide-Europe.pdf

deep
08-20-2008, 09:18 PM
You could refer to the rebuilding instructions from Katun and a
125 ma fuse will do the trick.

The C13C0 error message will be displayed when the copier fails to blow the image unit fuse.

Here is the link for the service manual:
http://www.rpsa.ricoh.com/techsup/manuals/DDC35n/Service%20Manual.pdf (http://www.rpsa.ricoh.com/techsup/manuals/DDC35n/Service%20Manual.pdf)

nmfaxman
08-21-2008, 12:03 AM
You could buy an imageing unit and then not have to worry about it.
Reseting user codes is in the administrators guide that can be downloaded from Konica Minolta.

fixthecopier
08-21-2008, 12:27 PM
With 300,000 on the meter, the fuser probably needs to be replaced if it has not been in the past. Easy to rebuild for a tech, and aftermarket units should be cheap. If you reset the IU, you may still need to replace it. The print quality can go bad depending on what shape the IU is in. Some will give the message early and still have a lot of life left, others are shot. A new fuser and IU would give you a really good copier.

zxcvbnm
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Thank-you for you replies. I would not have got this far without your help and the info I found searching this forum. I am now loosely operational.

I was impatient about having to wait for a fuse so tried fiddling with a bit of wire without much success but then the photocopier stopped asking for the imaging unit to be changed so I must have turned it on and off enough with my paperclip fuse for it to eventually decide it was a new unit and now turned on to the enter access code screen.

I found the users di250 manual on the minolta website and the site MANUAL FOR YOUR COPIERS - MINOLTA (http://manuals4copiers.weebly.com/minolta.html) emailed me a service manual which said how to bypass the passwords. The trick turned out to be to enter the code while looking at the page count screen. This let me change the administrator code and turn off the access codes.

I then tried a copy and it worked! However it was speckled as if water droplets had been flicked over it by a paint brush leaving flecked grease marks. But it has been sitting in a shed for over a year with cobwebs, bugs and the sawdust from several wood working machines. So tomorrow I'm going to do a light hoover around the edges and then wipe it all down with a cloth and hopefully that will improve things a bit. It was still a useable copy.

Thankyou for the warning about the fuser unit and the suggestion to buy new ones. I looked around but it looks like around £130 for a new imaging unit and more for a new fuser. I would not pay £300 to replace both for an old photocopier so I think I will chance it for now. If anyone has any suggestions on cheap places to buy replacements in the UK I'd be interested. The imaging unit says it is for 50,000 copies so it makes sense that it would fail at just over 300,000 and the fuser 70,000 so hopefully it will have more life in it than the imaging unit. And hopefully the imaging unit has some life spare.

I never really felt a strong need for a photocopier in my life it was just my neigbour being unable to let his school throw out a copier that was working fine until the automatic error message. Hence the reluctance to spend money. If it dies for good perhaps he will be prepared to part with it... I am just glad it is doing something now instead of just taking up space. Possibly if it works fine and we like it I may be tempted to try and find a new imaging unit to prolong it a bit but its not something I plan to put money into. I did look on ebay and a working equivelent sold for 99p.

Thankyou for your thoughts. I'm sure it will be a suprise for my neighbour when he returns from holiday to find it functional. Tomorrow I will investigate its printer port (no ethernet sadly) and maybe copy my face in A3, oh the possibilities.

Thanks

fixthecopier
08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Those water spot looking marks are what I had mentioned could happen when you reset. The machine has set itself for a drum with no copies, and changed the current it uses to charge the drum. In the tech mode you can sometimes adjust the bias and make them go away.

Hansoon
08-22-2008, 06:47 AM
To save your time: What looks as a printer port on the machine is no printer port actually. Its the connector to hook up a dedicated printer controller. This is a metal box at the back of the machine sitting on the edge of the back cover just above the toner bottle. Without this box the machine cannot be operated as a printer. Hans

Custom Search