PDA

View Full Version : Kip Wide Format for the Konica Techs...

Custom Search

methogod
07-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Looking at getting into one of these KIP machines, any suggestion - i love my older equipment but I don't want to go too far back that I can not get parts and consumables. Would love one with a scanner as well, let me know your thoughts.

just looking to get away from the Canon inkjet we are using now for arch printing.

copyman
07-11-2017, 03:01 AM
The Kip is a good machine. And much less cost than other OEM's. They came out with a full color machine about 1.5 yrs ago. First color "Laser-Toner" model from any OEM under $30k. These are available new from K/M dealers for a little over $20k. Or off-lease / Repo's from 10k and up.

Of course laser dry toner machines are going to cost more upfront than Inkjets but will pay for itself over time with the cost of Toner vs Ink.

mthomasebs
07-11-2017, 02:35 PM
I'm a bit of a stickler but i don't like the quality of the KIP 800 series (full colour) although I know they're meant to print media to be viewed at a distance.

Plus they are absolute tanks!

D_L_P
07-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Looking at getting into one of these KIP machines, any suggestion - i love my older equipment but I don't want to go too far back that I can not get parts and consumables. Would love one with a scanner as well, let me know your thoughts.

just looking to get away from the Canon inkjet we are using now for arch printing.

What model are you looking at? In my experience hardware wise they are better than the other brands I've worked on. The newer controllers are much better than the original ips too. Not that they were bad, just that was about the only thing any service calls were for. We have a dozen or more and they run great. I do agree with mthomas about the quality of the 800, not great for printing photographs or ad posters. Stick to maps, engineering drawings, text banners, etc and the color is fine.
There's an unofficial tech support site out there, google search "keep it printing". Hope that helps.

copyman
07-11-2017, 05:58 PM
I remember a customer I sold an 860 saying something about poor photo quality early on. He changed some settings and said the quality was much better. Of course it will never produce inkjet photo quality but overall not to bad. Agree about it being a tank!

kingarthur
07-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Recently done the 860 training , there are some quality issues ,especially when printing posters, luckily the chap who did the software side is an IT genius, he's written a program to upload to these machines, which sorts out the issue

methogod
07-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Great Stuff.

So which model do I shoot for, don't think I need color, can always run color drawing on my other two wide formats, issue i have is 36x48 take about 3.5 minutes on draft, just ran 260 pages took way too long.

Need 36", 2 drawers, Scanner would be nice, and PS on the RIP.
I would love a stacker, but don't need it.

Custom Search