PDA

View Full Version : USB thumb drive for firmware

Custom Search

Qball
07-14-2017, 03:54 AM
Where are you guys getting your thumb drives for doing firmware? They need to be no larger than 2gb for most models, correct? Is a certain brand more preferred than another? The few times I've looked at a store, I've had trouble finding something as small as a 2 gb.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synthohol
07-14-2017, 04:04 AM
microcenter.com

i have a local store and have only gotten the house brand.
the dozen 4g sticks i have, have been through several full cycles of laundry still in pocket and they still never fail.
never failed for konica anything, ever.

Max
07-14-2017, 10:22 AM
I use usb3 SanDisk 16 GB workes every time

copier addict
07-14-2017, 01:46 PM
I have a Staples Relay 8GB for my KonMin firmware updates. It has never been a problem

Leyahné
07-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Use the Sandisk they seem to work wonders

Qball
07-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Thanks everyone! I was under the impression that the thumb drive couldn't be any larger than 4 gig. Glad to know that's not the case.

ToshibaGuy
07-16-2017, 07:52 AM
I've had some thumb drives that didn't like specific machines, but I've never run into a size issue on a whole model, I use 4gb - 8gb usually but sometimes bigger. Whatever I can get for free is what works best.

rrrohan
07-17-2017, 05:52 AM
I use usb3 SanDisk 16 GB workes every time

Didnt know usb3 worked. Is that a new thing for 8 series.

EarthKmTech
07-17-2017, 09:07 AM
I've found your experience with writing firmware varies greatly depending on the computer you are using to write the sticks with.

for 4 years i ran a macbook pro and formatted and wrote fw in osx and never had a single issue, I bought it from the company to use at home for a token gesture and temporarily used a personal laptop running linux daily till my new Dell arrived. Linux lappy never had any issues ether.

This new dell POS running windows 7 has limited me to 1 stick that works for firmware now, an old 2Gb freeby a customer gave me. Nothing else works, ever! put them in the machine and it boots up like its not even there, or download NG. Does not matter how you format it etc, never works.

Infuriating.

Custom Search