PDA

View Full Version : Jamming Right Side door stuck after transfer belt replacement - how to access to release

Custom Search

leanoric
07-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Hello all,

Novice repair person need ing help on how to release a stuck upper right-side fuser door that allows access to transfer belt on a Konica-Minolta Bizhub c253? After replaceing transfer belt the door was shut but then a error code C-2152 was given by printer. So, tried to check transfer belt but couldnt open door - left side hook releases ok but right side stays stuck! No amount of force will free it with out breaking so need somehow release that hook but how? No access from outside seems possible - maybe through a gap at the side but I cant see anything that would help? Would a strip down including removal of motherboard and chassis to get to release mechanism do any good?

Woxner
07-16-2017, 04:19 PM
push on the door and try to release the gray lever to see if the hook move. sounds like its broke. no to removing the boards. the only way in is through the door..

copier tech
07-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Hello all,

Novice repair person need ing help on how to release a stuck upper right-side fuser door that allows access to transfer belt on a Konica-Minolta Bizhub c253? After replaceing transfer belt the door was shut but then a error code C-2152 was given by printer. So, tried to check transfer belt but couldnt open door - left side hook releases ok but right side stays stuck! No amount of force will free it with out breaking so need somehow release that hook but how? No access from outside seems possible - maybe through a gap at the side but I cant see anything that would help? Would a strip down including removal of motherboard and chassis to get to release mechanism do any good?

"Novice repair person" you clearly did not fit the belt correctly, did you atleast read the service manual before attempting this repair?

leanoric
07-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks for replies. Firstly, I had read service manual and had no trouble with previous removals and replacement on another printer and this printer. But, I'm assuming that its a transfer belt incorrectly fitted problem, due another thread concluding so (2007 thread). Secondly, I have tried operating the grey lever. left side, in attempt to release right side hook. I was hoping for another way to access right side hook or the "actuator bar" to see if I could influence its movement somehow? Any other suggestions?

femaster
07-17-2017, 12:10 AM
I have tried operating the grey lever. left side, in attempt to release right side hook. I was hoping for another way to access right side hook or the "actuator bar" to see if I could influence its movement somehow? Any other suggestions?

You are basically stuck. Since the spring is on the the left (front) latch, you MAY get lucky. Try pushing the whole access door in (towards copier), while pulling up on the door release lever. While doing all that, try smacking the right side (rear) of the access door you are pushing on a few times. Since there is no spring on that end, you may get lucky and be able to jar the latch on the door so that it falls down and away for the latching plate in the copier. Can't say it's going to work, but worth a try.

If you do manage to get it open, I'd probably plan on replacing the front latch on the door as it's most likely broken where the latching bar connects. They do tend to fail, not too frequently, but enough so that my company carries them in our parts bins.

allan
07-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Don't think its the latch that is stuck. Did you lock the transfer belt properly?

Eresources
07-17-2017, 01:35 AM
This happens when the right hand side transfer belt latch LOOKS like it went in okay. You can home the holder and screw it in and it feels like it latched okay, but it pushed the belt up on the right side, hence the error message. Once this happens there's not enough clearance for the right catch to work correctly. I now always grab the right side and wiggle it to make sure it's seated okay. I've had this happen to one of our tech and myself. First time I had to brute force the door open. I think you can try to take the door hinge off but it was a b^&ch of a job if I remember. I broke the right catch the first time. :)

leanoric
07-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Most helpful tips chaps, thanks. A suggestion was to remove hinge both sides and 'wriggle' free. But like what was mentioned above, it may be stuck due to incorrectly fitted Transfer Belt, regardless of right-side hook position? Nightmare! I'll try the push-in then brute-force and then tap technique. Hopefully will free itself. Otherwise, brute-force and ignorance and maybe a costly lesson in parts replacement? I'll keep posting and watching for anymore experiences with door stuck conundrum. :rolleyes:

Konicatech
07-17-2017, 06:59 PM
I have done this before myself, its easy done. In the end I just yanked the door open (and caused some damage in the process)

copyman
07-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Good advice given so far. Yea I have had the door get stuck a few times. After messing with it for an hour or so I just yanked it open. It usually breaks the hook and bends some metal pieces that hopefully you can bend back into shape.

Never forgot the look on people's faces in a big open office as I ripped the side door open. A few actually applauded saying they always wanted to do that when it jams!

Good luck

blackcat4866
07-18-2017, 12:32 AM
This happens when the right hand side transfer belt latch LOOKS like it went in okay. You can home the holder and screw it in and it feels like it latched okay, but it pushed the belt up on the right side, hence the error message. Once this happens there's not enough clearance for the right catch to work correctly. I now always grab the right side and wiggle it to make sure it's seated okay. I've had this happen to one of our tech and myself. First time I had to brute force the door open. I think you can try to take the door hinge off but it was a b^&ch of a job if I remember. I broke the right catch the first time. :)

All the screws on that door are painted, assuming that you can't take it apart. You can ... but it's a huge job. You have to strip the hinge area on the rear to the frame. On mine, the latch had just crumbled, from being dried out then slammed really hard, on a construction site.

Note the strategic use of coathanger and epoxy, stringing together all the broken pieces. =^..^=

leanoric
07-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Success! Managed to get it unstuck and bonus, in one piece. But, had to remove both hinges to allow right side door more play so I could 'work' it loose. It was really moving and nearly coming out but was still held somehow. Couldn't be the right hook had to be a spindle/bar inter-locked somehow? So, gave two motors a few turns (rotating body type located behind motherboard framework) and I heard gearing inside interlocking something then gave door a pull and it came right out! Couldn't believe it! Seemed roller in door a bit dislodged but OK . And as all you chaps had said, I could now see that the transfer belt wasn't seated correctly. It was slightly higher than normal and right side gear not meshing with gear below it. Removed transfer belt and replaced three times, making sure it would travel all way in then drop into place, gears interlocking. I connected everything back up and started machine OK. So, now door opens and closes, but now requires a bit of a push forward to fully lock. Will need tightening in places. Thanks for all your advice. Next time I need to replace transfer belt I'll make sure I have more room to see it seated.

leanoric
07-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Will include pictures later.

leanoric
07-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Will include pictures later.

Some piccys...

Custom Search