PDA

View Full Version : Cyan streaks / tracks on print - but only every 2nd print? [img attached]

Custom Search

jay3
08-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Here's a picture of the output:

I am doing 13x19 duplex jobs here and every other print has these streaks in the same spot. On the reverse side every other print has the streaks as well.

No errors.

Any suggestion service menu option or I should be running to resolve?

Or what I should be cleaning or replacing?

Thank you in advance!

Phil B.
08-04-2017, 08:30 PM
1) are you a tech or end user?
2) what have you tried?
3) what is the life of the consumables?
4) what is the direction of the paper feed?
5) what have you done/not done?

we need a little more info to try and help.

jay3
08-04-2017, 09:56 PM
1) are you a tech or end user?
2) what have you tried?
3) what is the life of the consumables?
4) what is the direction of the paper feed?
5) what have you done/not done?

we need a little more info to try and help.

1) Techie end user. I do my own service/repair on this thing.

2) I've just finished pulling the drums to vac/clean. The cyan drum isn't clean (blade?). I took it all apart and vacuumed it well, also replaced the rubber blade with one that is newer/better condition - but they both looked pretty good. I have a new drum set on way.

3) The old KM techs that serviced thing were bad -- seems like they never reset consumables on machine itself.. So hard to tell actual life. The black drum is new (saw it replaced), the fuser belt and drum belt are both new - I replaced those.

4) Direction of paper feed? Don't understand this I guess. Feeding from tray 5 (big drawer) outputting to the default top output tray.

jay3
08-04-2017, 10:08 PM
The cleaning I did focusing on the CYAN drum seems to have resolved 75% of the issue, but its still present and now I've introduced some new cyan artifact on the right side. So I guess I take it apart and clean more.

Is it safe to clean the green drums with IPA?

jay3
08-04-2017, 10:49 PM
So looks like I nicked the drum somehow and that is what is causing the new repeating artifact. Lesson learned :(

Next time I'll be sure I have a clean area and plan for working on drum and a nice microfiber cloth to set it on if I remove it.

For general issues with drums and their causes, this video was helpful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn6DpDC8g8U

I can still get my job done (it's direct mail for my business) but it's going to have that crap cyan mark on it here and there.

Woxner
08-04-2017, 11:37 PM
no to cleaning the drum. by the looks of it the drum is shot. by the way what machine is it

jay3
08-04-2017, 11:45 PM
no to cleaning the drum. by the looks of it the drum is shot. by the way what machine is it

KM Bizhub C6500.

Yeah anything "blue" that lays down a lot of cyan has seemed washed out and maybe even banded a little.

Judging by the looks of the scuff marks on edges of the drums themselves, the cyan is the worst and black (which I know to be newest) is by far the best. So it's probably overdue for a drum. I have a few on the way now.

Synthohol
08-05-2017, 12:08 AM
until new stuff can be changed, swap the cyan drum unit for the yellow. at least you wont see the yellow as bad or at all.

jay3
08-05-2017, 12:18 AM
until new stuff can be changed, swap the cyan drum unit for the yellow. at least you wont see the yellow as bad or at all.

Ah... good idea. They don't contaminate each other? like 50 prints or something and they'll be good to go?

jay3
08-05-2017, 12:20 AM

After I noticed the nick on it, I cleaned it with ISO since I know it's a goner. It's printing with it now.... actually the nick and other issues seemed to be fading a little after ~500 prints. Currently going at 7.5/per minute 13x19 duplex using VDP for addressing (printing to master).

Synthohol
08-05-2017, 12:31 AM
Ah... good idea. They don't contaminate each other? like 50 prints or something and they'll be good to go?
all toner is collected and sent down the pipe, if the blade is good toner should never come from the waste collection and make it on to a page.
when a color production machine does mostly black i rotate the drums all the time and run potential adjustments.

jay3
08-05-2017, 12:35 AM
....rotate the drums all the time and run potential adjustments.

What does "run potential adjustments" mean? A series of steps to perform in the service menu?

I currently run gamma and drum peculiarities before a longer run job.

BTW: Current run is going to finish in a few minutes so I'll try the cyan/yellow swap on the next 1000 or so and report back :)

jay3
08-05-2017, 01:13 AM
Good call on the yellow/cyan drum swap!

It makes the defect in the drum much more tolerable on the prints now.

Thanks again! :)

Update: I did wind up with a thin solid yellow line now for some reason. I just sent both drums through the vacuum so we'll see if that cleans it up.

Synthohol
08-05-2017, 02:23 AM
i used to take the hook part of a spring hook tool and drag the bottom edge of the cleaning blade (pulled away from the drum) to clean both sides of the blade. usually bought me time until a new drum came in.

Phil B.
08-07-2017, 02:10 PM
1) Techie end user. I do my own service/repair on this thing.

2) I've just finished pulling the drums to vac/clean. The cyan drum isn't clean (blade?). I took it all apart and vacuumed it well, also replaced the rubber blade with one that is newer/better condition - but they both looked pretty good. I have a new drum set on way.

3) The old KM techs that serviced thing were bad -- seems like they never reset consumables on machine itself.. So hard to tell actual life. The black drum is new (saw it replaced), the fuser belt and drum belt are both new - I replaced those.

4) Direction of paper feed? Don't understand this I guess. Feeding from tray 5 (big drawer) outputting to the default top output tray.

4) Direction of paper feed? Don't understand this I guess. Feeding from tray 5 (big drawer) outputting to the default top output tray. IS IT sef ( short edge first ) lef ( long edge first )

Custom Search