PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Lock document being scanned until completed

Custom Search

JenniField
08-08-2017, 08:57 PM
We are using software that processing documents directly from the scanner.

We need one of the following to happen when scanning large documents:

Lock the document until the user has finished scanning their stack
Leave the document with the .tmp name until it finishes scanning, then when the user clicks finish it changes the name to .pdf
Hold the document 'on the scanner' in internal memory until the user hits scan, then send the document to the network folder.

If anyone know of a way to make any of these, or all of these happen please let me know

Jenni

Woxner
08-08-2017, 10:03 PM
try separate scan. it will let you build the scan so its one file. then hit finish to send. it will ask if you want to continue or finish. just contiue until all docs are scan then finish. email has limits. smb or ftp will take large file. by the way what machine?. which of the 3 are you doing

JenniField
08-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Thank you Woxner, they were currently using separate scan but there appears to be a problem with it. There is a technician working with those users now because that feature wasn't working as it should. They first thought it was a firmware issue, since a firmware update hadn't been done in almost a year but that hasn't stopped the original issue.

They start scanning a document, it goes to the destination location as 0 bytes and the software grabs it.

I will update this string when I hear back.

Perhaps there is a different scanner I can suggest that either names the file .tmp or locks the PDF so that our software won't grab it. I think they are looking for an enterprise solution that they can use firm wide.

rrrohan
08-10-2017, 04:36 PM
SMB or FTP scan? Im guessing SMB. Try FTP

D_L_P
08-10-2017, 05:08 PM
In my experience seeing a 0 byte file has been due to having read/write but not modify rights. However you're not scanning via smb.

Is it possible to delete and recreate the scanner object in your scanning software?

IIRC certain scanning software,I wont name here, had a temp folder that had to have the contents deleted a couple times a uear. The folder would fill up and cause partial scan jobs or memory errors. Maybe the software you're using has a similar scanlog that needs cleared?

BHM
08-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Not sure how much scanning is being done but you could scan the files into a temp folder and once the scanning is complete, manually move the files to the watched folder. This could file moving could be automated with software if need be.

I can not think of any way to lock the file until it is completed scanning or fo the machine to change the extension.

allan
08-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Webdav?

emujo2
08-10-2017, 08:36 PM
We are using software that processing documents directly from the scanner.

We need one of the following to happen when scanning large documents:

Lock the document until the user has finished scanning their stack
Leave the document with the .tmp name until it finishes scanning, then when the user clicks finish it changes the name to .pdf
Hold the document 'on the scanner' in internal memory until the user hits scan, then send the document to the network folder.

If anyone know of a way to make any of these, or all of these happen please let me know

Jenni

The KM itself will not do any of these things, but if you are leaning towards a 3rd party solution like AutoStore you could get some custom workflows scripted for this. I would expect to spend upwards of 5-8K just for the scripting and a couple of thousand for the software and licensing. If they are currently using several people and many man hours to do this work, the cost is easily justified. After a little more thought, you might be able to use real time TWAIN to do # 3. HDD TWAIN may also be a possibility. Emujo

Just ran the TWAIN system with PDF Pro..You can scan the document, and re name it, convert it (format), then save/send to any location accessible from your workstation. Emujo

rrrohan
08-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Can you set your software to only check the watched folder every few minutes so your less likely to be half way through scanning the document before it tries to use it? Sounds like its refreshing to often or possibly even Live

Synthohol
08-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Agreed with above. The file header with 0 bytes is placed first while the scan is being compiled. This don't change but the frequency of the software polling can be I hope.

JenniField
08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Not sure how much scanning is being done but you could scan the files into a temp folder and once the scanning is complete, manually move the files to the watched folder. This could file moving could be automated with software if need be.

I can not think of any way to lock the file until it is completed scanning or fo the machine to change the extension.

Hi!

We need a solution for departments that do scanning all day. They get the documents from many departments and scanning is their entire position. Our software has already been built to wait until a document is 6 minutes old before it picks it up. The Konica is taking so long to send it over, we're talking 10 minutes.

This question is for my customer, I can't change anything about their environment. The only thing I know is that they are using a Konica Minolta, it is SMB and they are using separate scan.

@rrrohan
Our software waits until a documents modified date is 6 minutes old (configurable) already. We had to up it to 6 minutes. The idea is to scan as much paper as possible into the system each day.

NOTE: This is happening only on the documents coming from the Konica. They have other scanners that are scanned to the same network location and the scanner doesn't take as long to deliver.

We cannot add more software, we need a scanner level solution. If the Konica is not going to offer or do any of the suggested items then perhaps another scanner will?

JenniField
08-11-2017, 03:25 PM
In my experience seeing a 0 byte file has been due to having read/write but not modify rights. However you're not scanning via smb.

Is it possible to delete and recreate the scanner object in your scanning software?

IIRC certain scanning software,I wont name here, had a temp folder that had to have the contents deleted a couple times a uear. The folder would fill up and cause partial scan jobs or memory errors. Maybe the software you're using has a similar scanlog that needs cleared?

Our service account has full access to that network folder, those credentials are used on the scanner to scan to that location

D_L_P
08-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Our service account has full access to that network folder, those credentials are used on the scanner to scan to that location

If it takes more than 6 minutes to transfer a scan document to a folder it sounds like their network is terrible. It's possible separate scan is set to page instead of batch, but it sounds like a network issue.

Utility-> User settings->Copier settings-> Separate scan output method-> set to "batch".

If it is set to batch you can try making the file size smaller by lowering the resolution, 150x150 is still great for test, use compact pdf or higher compression for jpeg.
6 minutes is more than enough time to transfer even a large (300 mb +) file over a lan.

1. Replace the patch cable from wall to copier.
2. Turn off chatty protocols, appletalk, bonjour, upnp, smb server.
3. If possible have them try segmenting off the copier and users with a vlan.

From a workstation open command prompt and ping with the -l switch.

Ping -t -l 1024 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

This will ping the copier with 1mb data until you hit ctrl+c. Let it go for a minute or two.. Any request timed out is bad. Time above 40ms is bad for a lan. Don't worry about TTL.
Hope this helps!

rrrohan
08-12-2017, 01:11 AM
Strange its taking so long. Are you using searchable pft

JenniField
08-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Strange its taking so long. Are you using searchable pft

My understanding is that they are just scanning in as much as the feeder will hold, putting in the next stack, hitting scan again, etc until the stack is completed. The scanner should just be creating a PDF image, no text.

Synthohol
08-14-2017, 04:03 PM
searchable pdf is OCR more or less.
have they tried compact pdf for faster scan file building?

D_L_P
08-14-2017, 04:21 PM
My understanding is that they are just scanning in as much as the feeder will hold, putting in the next stack, hitting scan again, etc until the stack is completed. The scanner should just be creating a PDF image, no text.

Separate scan has two send settings, page and batch. Batch will wait for the entire scan job to complete then send the data. Page will send send the data as it is being created. If it set to page it could explain the long send time.

Custom Search