PDA

View Full Version : Anyone swapped over a RIP? Got ic-306 issues!

Custom Search

dagoof
09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Hi all,

Looking for some assistance, I had a c8000 machine with Konica's ic-601 RIP, however, it was a source of frustration and we managed to get hold of a redundant ic-306. I reinstalled everything from the Fiery system software CD (new HDD in the RIP) but when trying to run prints directly from the RIP/CW5 it said there was a signed driver issue (can't remember the exact message).

However, everything loaded fine otherwise but when the job gets sent to RIP it will just drop back down from the processing tab. Going to 'properties', it says "Product is not enabled".
On checking CW5 Device centre, the graphic shows installed units that are not currently present (I'm guessing from the RIP's previous configuration).

At some point in the install it said to check the 'installable options' tab in the printer's driver - in this section, the graphic shows the correct units installed but the options window still shows incorrect units (unfortunately the add/remove buttons are greyed out). There's a '2 way communication' update button but this fails to connect - I should point out I tested that function on another (working) c8000 with ic-306 and it also failed on that, so I'm not sure that's the solution.

Can anyone suggest anything to update/clear the legacy? I've a number of Fiery system software CDs but I'm guessing they're universal?
Likewise, I'm guessing the legacy isn't in the dongles, as I've swapped finishing units on machines previously with no legacy problems.
I should note it prints the colour calibration chart from CW5, so it seems like a driver issue.

Mick01
09-20-2017, 05:16 AM
Hi,
This is testing the memory a bit but I seem to recall there being an upgrade kit for the IC-306 to allow compatibility with the C8000.
It is an upgrade dongle.
IC-306 have had a number of updates. Below is just from memory but I believe it is correct.
V1.0 Win XP for C6/7000
V1.1 Win XP for C8000 (after upgrade kit applied)
V2.0 Win XP 64 bit (paid upgrade)
V3.0 Win 7 64 bit (paid upgrade)

dagoof
09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks Mick, I'd tried re-installing with the v1 system disc and dongle from another c8000 but still had the same issue. I even tried the Fiery options disc and it said the install was enabled :confused:
I've also got a v1.5 system disc but had an issue with that too (think the 'user software' discs I had were incompatible).

Mick01
09-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Hi,
Unfortunately that dongle will not work. They are designed to be single use only. Once the update is done using the dongle it is useless.
This was a stupid idea from EFI when this was implemented (a way for them to make more money).

dagoof
10-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Can anyone think of any solutions? I was sent a fresh/sealed dongle but either it didn't work or I installed it with the wrong disc set (and now it's maybe done if it's 'single use')? Got a very expensive dead RIP here :(

Synthohol
10-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Problem
Unable to install the Fiery® Graphics Arts package (premium) on the IC-306.

Solution
CAUSE: Incorrect disk being used for install.

SOLUTION: Do not use the disk labeled Fiery® Options Utility ver1.11 that comes with the Graphics Arts Package and the dongle.

Use the disk that comes with the IC-306 labeled: Fiery® Options Utility v1.5 labeled Part Number: 45092013

Follow the instructions provided in the package containing the dongle except use the version 1.0 feature update software disk.

If the version 1.0 disk is not available with all of the installation and setup disks that come with the IC-306 it can be download from the Konica Minolta Download Selector. Look under the IC-306, Utilities tab. It will be listed as Fiery Options Util v1 5.iso

Newer IC-306 hardware will use the Fiery® Options Utility ver1.5 disk that came with the controller.

Question
How to swap an IC-306 between bizhub PRESS C6000/C7000 and bizhub PRESS C8000 MFPs.

Answer
In some environments where only one IC-306 is available to be connected to a bizhub PRESS C6000/C7000 series and a bizhub PRESS C8000 MFP (such as in a demo room or training environment), it is possible to use one controller to swap between both engine types.

It is required that the IC-306 has an installed bizhub PRESS C8000 Enabler Kit (UK-102, Item #A37YWY1 - USB Upgrade Dongle). The controller and engine will need to be OFF before connecting, and a period of at least 15 minutes is required for the controller to configure itself to the new engine. Do not turn the controller off during this period or a system code reinstallation may be required.

Please follow these recommendations from EFI.
"The v1.x and v2.0 IC?306 was designed so that it can be used on a C6000/C7000, then, after power down, be moved over to a C8000 (or vice?versa). This can be done without reinstalling system software. This ability comes in handy for dealerships who have a single IC?306, but more than one supported engine type. An IC?306 at a customer site would never be used in this way.

"It is important to note that once Fiery is attached to a different engine type than what it was originally attached to, it must be given sufficient time to auto configure itself to the “new” engine. Once powered up with new engine do not use Fiery or interrupt it for 15 minutes. Then it will be ready to use. During the 15 minute auto configure period you may notice it will stop Fiery services (Exit in Fiery Bar) and then will reboot on its own.

"It has been reported to EFI that occasionally the Fiery will not properly configure to new engine. Operator will see that Fiery will never come to ready state even though the full 15 minutes was allowed for. Reboots of Fiery do not help. Even if IC?306 is moved back to “original” engine, it won’t come to normal idle state. The only solution then is to reload Fiery system software and install appropriate applications and patches. This process can take 2?3 hours."

EFI™ is currently working to find a cause for this issue.

If you want to swap the Fiery® between engine types, EFI™ strongly recommends use of the Fiery® Clone Tool to back up the Fiery® in case issue noted above does occur. By taking this precaution, the Fiery® can be up and running in under an hour.

dagoof
10-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Sounds like it might be a winner synthohol, I'll let you know!

Synthohol
10-07-2017, 10:31 PM
*fingers crossed*
the attachment has more info about dongle usage, didnt know if you had a copy.

dagoof
10-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Not had much luck so far Synthohol :(

I went through the dongles I had with the Fiery Options v1.5 boot disc - most said they had "no uses left" but one still had 1 available use left.

However, it said the FACI was already enabled and not to re-enable. I would have tried to re-enable anyway but unfortunately the enable button is grayed-out/unselectable. The PDF you attached had menus etc accessible in the options disc but I don't appear to have them (they're likely only available when 'enable' is an option?).

Synthohol
10-16-2017, 08:52 PM
sorry to hear man, at least going forward you can clone the rip so you wont have to go through anything like this again.

tulintron
10-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Not had much luck so far Synthohol :(

I went through the dongles I had with the Fiery Options v1.5 boot disc - most said they had "no uses left" but one still had 1 available use left.

However, it said the FACI was already enabled and not to re-enable. I would have tried to re-enable anyway but unfortunately the enable button is grayed-out/unselectable. The PDF you attached had menus etc accessible in the options disc but I don't appear to have them (they're likely only available when 'enable' is an option?).Good afternoon friends.In Bizhub C7000 this exchange is only possible after disabling the HD's in switching DIPSW 02-0.

Try disabling it on the C8000 and try it out.

If you can not, get a DIPSW list of a C8000 that runs with IC306 and compares yours. Well sure to be a DIPSW key that does not have functions in the service manual.

dagoof
10-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Just wondering if I could clone the HDD from my other ic306 with the Fiery Clone Tool disc (or some other bit-for-bit cloning program)?
I still have the original HDD but it's inaccessible even as a secondary/slave drive.

Albonline
10-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Just wondering if I could clone the HDD from my other ic306 with the Fiery Clone Tool disc (or some other bit-for-bit cloning program)?
I still have the original HDD but it's inaccessible even as a secondary/slave drive.

the 306 was used on the 6/7000 and 8000 to get it to work with an 8000 you need to upgrade the rip with a one time use dongle , this burns to the cmos on the motherboard. there is simply put no other way to make it happen.

dagoof
10-19-2017, 08:31 AM
Thanks Alb, it should already be on the cmos then! I don't know what the issue is, I can't be the only person in the world to have a hdd fail.

I had a corrupt install on another ic306, reinstalled and had no problem!

Albonline
10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
try this , put your hdd into a pc and run fdisk, remove all partitions put it back into the rip and then try loading it, also just a fyi, something in my memory is telling me that there were bad copies of the 306 load dvds.

dagoof
10-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks again for trying to help Alb - this was a fresh fdisk'd drive in the RIP though (after the original became totally unreadable) so I'm not sure that'd make any difference? I think the Fiery re-install cd fdisks anyway as part of the installation?
I'd also tried 2 different sets of Fiery discs I have. Not easy, eh :confused:

Albonline
10-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Thanks again for trying to help Alb - this was a fresh fdisk'd drive in the RIP though (after the original became totally unreadable) so I'm not sure that'd make any difference? I think the Fiery re-install cd fdisks anyway as part of the installation?
I'd also tried 2 different sets of Fiery discs I have. Not easy, eh :confused:

ok then try this , there should be diagnostic software that came with the rip. start unit off of it and when complete say to copy to jump drive. check text file for what is good/bad as far as hardware.
i think the 306 looks for a certain size/type of drive before it will load. i have cloned drives from these ,however a cloned drive will refuse future reloads from the dvds.

dagoof
11-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Ok, I've tried running the diagnostics a couple of times - on the system test I get:

[System : PCI Routing Test] SYS06 E011 * Verify 1 card(s)

I did the 'full test' but it must've crashed on the HDD test (ran for 24hr with no progress) - but strangely when I do all the HDD tests independently (performance, surface and smart IIRC) they all pass.

jpablo_mza
08-23-2018, 05:20 AM
Dear, I need the version 2.0 of that fiery (Pro80), I lost the discs and xp does not start, someone will have the images ?? Thank you very much for your help

Custom Search