PDA

View Full Version : Dead Machine C458 tripping

Custom Search

mike4001
11-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Hi,

I have just been out to look at a customers machine it is a C458, they have probably had it for about 18 months, it keeps tripping ie it will boot up to the copy screen and then something in the machine goes click and the machine start the boot up process all over again with the fins.

I have changed the power lead and plugged it into a different socket to rule that out, I have disconnected the fusing unit and doc feed to try and isolate the problem, but even though it pulls up an error code which you would expect with the fusing unplugged all the doors open it is still tripping.

Has anybody had this and would like to give me a tip as where to start looking?

thanks for any help.

Synthohol
11-01-2017, 08:50 PM
there was a bulletin about the extra memory (UK-xxx) being recalled, dont remember if that model applies.
pop out the 2nd chip and see if issue remains.

blackcat4866
11-02-2017, 01:05 AM
You don't say how long it takes to reach this reboot condition. If the machine boots up to a "Warming Up" Copy screen, then reboots (~4 minutes). If it only takes 5 or 10 seconds (two pillars) you may have a HDD grounding issue that corrupts the HDD driver software.

There is a bulletin on this. There is a special Recovery Firmware to reload the HDD driver software. If you can manage to get into service mode, you'll see that the HDD firmware level is blank (that's a bad thing). First re-seat all the connectors on the HDD and MFP board. Reform the HDD ground for a better connection (you'll find that it's a very wimpy connection, some techs make a wired connection). Then load the Recovery Firmware. It may take several tries to get the Recovery Firmware to take (typically not less than 3 tries). You may need to replace the HDD or MFPB. Once you have a working machine then you can update to the most current firmware.

mike4001
11-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Thanks it reboots after about 5 sceonds i will look for the HDD grounding bulletin and see if that does the job back in there tomorrow morning.

kingarthur
11-03-2017, 11:37 AM
I had a C308 with a similar problem, it was the dual scan pcb for the RADF that was faulty

mike4001
11-03-2017, 05:43 PM
i thought about that but disconected it and it still tripped i think the only thing left is to change the power board, i have unplugged and removed the following all at the sametime and it still trips out.

Lazer unit
all Devs
all Drums
fusing unit
touch panel
doc feed
lazer unit on flat bed
all fans i can find
HDD
all doors open

it now boots up with out making a sound pulls an error code (not supprised) bleeps 3 time then 5-10 seconds later click and shuts down and reboots.

kingarthur
11-03-2017, 05:54 PM
i thought about that but disconected it and it still tripped i think the only thing left is to change the power board, i have unplugged and removed the following all at the sametime and it still trips out.

Lazer unit
all Devs
all Drums
fusing unit
touch panel
doc feed
lazer unit on flat bed
all fans i can find
HDD
all doors open

it now boots up with out making a sound pulls an error code (not supprised) bleeps 3 time then 5-10 seconds later click and shuts down and reboots.

When you say you've "disconnected it", have you removed it completely....I removed the RADF in tech rep & it still tripped, it was only when I physically removed the pcb, that the m/c worked

REGSIS
11-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Lazer unit
all Devs
all Drums
fusing unit
touch panel
doc feed
lazer unit on flat bed
all fans i can find
HDD
all doors open

Way you describe it looks like a PRCB to me. I had similar problem but on different model, just keeps rebooting.

In my opinion if PRCB is OK machine would show an error eventually (it won't reboot).
4 series had problem with SSD (reboot occasionally) but if I remember correctly it didn't click before restart.

allan
11-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Well then its not dead its sick.

D_L_P
11-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I have just been out to look at a customers machine it is a C458, they have probably had it for about 18 months, it keeps tripping ie it will boot up to the copy screen and then something in the machine goes click and the machine start the boot up process all over again with the fins.

I have changed the power lead and plugged it into a different socket to rule that out, I have disconnected the fusing unit and doc feed to try and isolate the problem, but even though it pulls up an error code which you would expect with the fusing unplugged all the doors open it is still tripping.

Has anybody had this and would like to give me a tip as where to start looking?

thanks for any help.

In my experience when they're stuck in an endless reboot it has been the memory or mfp controller. Reseating the memory sometimes works. Usually wind up replacing the mfp controller.

mike4001
11-09-2017, 10:31 AM
hi

As you will see from the video (the file I have is to large video to follow) this is what the machine is doing, I have tried and changed the below parts.

I have unplugged and removed the following:
Fusing unit removed
Image transfer belt removed
Drums removed
Devs removed
Doc feed removed
Unplugged the scanner bed and all connectors in the board just below
Laser unit removed
All fans that I can see
Screen
Removed all toner cartridges
Removed all draws

Turned the machine on booted up silently came up with an error code and still tripped and went through the boot up prosses.

So changed the power board and then the DC board on the left hand side that you have to remove before the laser unit will come out.

Still tripping with everything out.

Reseated both the eeprom/1 and eeprom/2 left one out and then the other still tripping.

Put it all back together and cleared all errors

Tried to get into service mode normally can’t do it, tried by holding down reset button in trouble reset won’t let me do it, tried turning it on and holding down the start button won’t let me do anything.

Checked all the power supply checks that Andrew sent though, changed the power lead and plugged it into 3 different sockets. Still doing it

I am a broken man and obviously this fault is to intelligent for me.

any advice more than welcome.

REGSIS
11-09-2017, 05:48 PM
You didn't try what @Kingarthur sugested; diconnect Dual scan RADF from dualscan board (HDMI cable), and also other two connectors. Then remove dual scan board from Printer control board. I supose machine should work normally without ADF (It may error out but ADF could be disabled in service mode in that case).
If that doesn't give result then try to (do what I sugested) swap Printer Control Board from another machine (FW should match, in case of error do the FW update).

mike4001
11-09-2017, 05:59 PM
You didn't try what @Kingarthur sugested; diconnect Dual scan RADF from dualscan board (HDMI cable), and also other two connectors. Then remove dual scan board from Printer control board. I supose machine should work normally without ADF (It may error out but ADF could be disabled in service mode in that case).
If that doesn't give result then try to (do what I sugested) swap Printer Control Board from another machine (FW should match, in case of error do the FW update).

yes have dissconnected and romoved the doc feed and the board dident make a difference, dont have a printer controller board to swap only thing i have is C287 and that is not going to fit a C658.

mike4001
11-09-2017, 06:01 PM
i have even sat there and dissconnected one thing at a time from the contoller board to see if that leads anywhere but no.

mike4001
11-09-2017, 06:14 PM
i have not done a firmware update beacuse it reboots when you boot it up to reset trouble codes so there is a very high chance it will reboot when trying to do firmware, and i have know idear what firmware version it is on i think this will probally cause more problems than solve them.

unless you think other wise?

habik
11-09-2017, 08:56 PM
i have not done a firmware update beacuse it reboots when you boot it up to reset trouble codes so there is a very high chance it will reboot when trying to do firmware, and i have know idear what firmware version it is on i think this will probally cause more problems than solve them.

unless you think other wise?

You are joking right?

Use the latest firmware you have available. If board is a pancake then sticking extra jam wouldn't hurt I think.
Currently the latest jam is G00-R9 Function Version 4.1
Usually update takes max 10 min. If it doesn't boot to firmware screen or keeps re-booting whilst in firmware update process in 25 min then you have board issue.
If you have ADF disconnected then it wont see it and update only what the board can see.

Reseating eMMC and Memory and HDD may help as well.

Also maybe handy to check all ICP's.

Tech Helpdesk
11-13-2017, 12:22 PM
From what I have scanned on the posts -- You still haven't replaced the memory !!

We have had so many issues with the memory preventing the machines booting up, you also need to the firmware after that it would look like the MFP board.

Albonline
11-13-2017, 02:33 PM
disconnect the ribbon between the mc and mfp, if it still resets its the power supply or the mc board

Custom Search