PDA

View Full Version : End user looking for advice - Considering C458

Custom Search

hottscennessey
11-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section - if so please move.

I'm a long time lurker of this forum for gathering information and troubleshooting problems. Now I'm just looking for some insight from the experts about a C458.

I'm a The UPS Store Franchisee and I've had Ricoh equipment for the past 7 years. I've had the C4000, C5502, C4503 - each generation (for my particular use) they get worse. Going with an '04' seems like more of the same.

Most of my complaints about the Ricohs comes down to quality on thicker stocks. They all print great on Hammermill 28, but get splotchy with 80lb cover. Anything coated looks horrible with more than light toner coverage. I realize I'm complaining about a business class machine and expecting production quality. I've gone with a production machine at one my locations, and would go that route but square footage is at a premium.

The question is, in your honest opinion how is the C458 for a light use - occasional 218+ GSM end user?

I should also add that I have a KM C353 still kicking in one of my stores that saves me weekly when the Ricoh C4503 doesn't pull through on quality. If the machine is ANYTHING like the C353 I'm happy.

habik
11-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Not a bad box if you stick with OEM toner, think you'll be fine.

You can create custom paper types should you need and adjust to your stock requirements.

If you do banners then C458 would need +10'C on fuser.

Hope that helped.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

hottscennessey
11-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I spoke with a couple other franchisees - they brought up the issue with the 654e where it wouldn't staple/saddle stitch thick 1 paper. Now I just need to make sure this model allows me to do so since we run 28lb for all color jobs.

habik
11-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I spoke with a couple other franchisees - they brought up the issue with the 654e where it wouldn't staple/saddle stitch thick 1 paper. Now I just need to make sure this model allows me to do so since we run 28lb for all color jobs.Only sheet thick cover to staple/booklet with the rest fed as plain.

How many sheets you need to staple? 28lb /105gsm ain't that super heavy. Think you can do some magic with fuser speed and temperature on custom. Bit of a Trick or Treat element. :)

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

hottscennessey
11-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Ok great. I think at the most I would need 10 sheets of 105gsm to saddle stitch.

copyman
11-02-2017, 06:52 PM
The UPS stores in my area (New Jersey) have all gone with Konica Minolta copiers and love them!

Custom Search