PDA

View Full Version : CQ Bizhub C454, Cyan background/ghosting

Custom Search

D Colour
11-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Hi
Have a problem with a C454 (Olivetti MF452). Its a cyan background or ghosting on the prints.
^That is fed long edge first. A4

^A3 is obviously SEF

So far we have tried:
swapping yellow and cyan drums - no change.
fitting a used (but known working) cyan dev - no change.
replaced the transfer belt (used, but working) - no change.
cleaned lasers and ran multiple stabilisations - no change.

The machine recently had a new fuser fitted to fix a C3726 error.

Thinking it could be a bad earth or the voltages are up the left, anyone had this before?

copier tech
11-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Is this issue just with cyan? difficult to see from your scans.

Are you using genuine KM toner?

D Colour
11-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Is this issue just with cyan? difficult to see from your scans.

Are you using genuine KM toner?

Hi Copier Tech, the background/ghosting is only cyan yes. I did scan it but it didn't show up at all in those so i took a couple of photos.

Its is compatible toner in the machine, but this machine (and others) has been running on it for years with no issues. Haven't seen a similar problem in other machines using the same stuff. What are you thinking? I'm open to all possibilities.

Max
11-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Fit a new km dev unit and drum so the copier will initialise it and configure for that particula dev unit/drum. By fitting a used dev unit the copier will still use old dev settings. Basicaly no change.

habik
11-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Vac the cyan hopper and run 20 halftones for cyan@255 A3 with no toner bottle installed.
Check TCR levels %
When machine asks for toner fit fresh bottle and do manual toner add.
Run another 20 X cyan halftones and check if TCR % is stable around 6.3-6.6%.

Now initialise+stabilise background reset and do full gradation adjust.

If it won't work then replace with new Dev& drum at same time as mentioned above.

What is the mileage of the Dev unit?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

D Colour
11-13-2017, 11:47 AM
What is the mileage of the Dev unit?

Hi Habik, thanks for the info.

There is 447k on the colour devs, so they are far away from needing changed anyway. Will try the above and see how that goes.

Albonline
11-13-2017, 02:44 PM
is the black misting/spewing developer? whats the life on the black drum and developer. have seen this when they are shot. they contaminate the cyan.

D Colour
11-13-2017, 02:58 PM
is the black misting/spewing developer? whats the life on the black drum and developer. have seen this when they are shot. they contaminate the cyan.

Mono copies & prints are perfect. It had all the drums replaced a couple of months ago. Theres approx 10k on the K drum and maybe 15k on the colours.

Im not sure about the black dev looking at this (Its at least close to life). The black dev has or has not run over its life - according to the management list, the total count is 572256, but according to the life counter, black dev is 626736. The machine is on a per copy contract so all the life and stops are turned off.

Albonline
11-13-2017, 03:16 PM
if its misting change it out. the colors are setup off of the black. are your color developers especially the cyan depleting? all signs of black problems.looking at you prints i see a ghost image thats whats got me saying you have a hv problem caused by overworn black imaging system.

Quatro
11-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Hi
Have a problem with a C454 (Olivetti MF452). Its a cyan background or ghosting on the prints.
^That is fed long edge first. A4

^A3 is obviously SEF

So far we have tried:
swapping yellow and cyan drums - no change.
fitting a used (but known working) cyan dev - no change.
replaced the transfer belt (used, but working) - no change.
cleaned lasers and ran multiple stabilisations - no change.

The machine recently had a new fuser fitted to fix a C3726 error.

Thinking it could be a bad earth or the voltages are up the left, anyone had this before?

Hi,

I think you have problem on HV.
When you stabilize it shows NG or no?

D Colour
11-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Hi,

When you stabilize it shows NG or no?

Its NG - no good.

habik
11-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Hi,

I think you have problem on HV.
When you stabilize it shows NG or no?NG Can happen as well when background is set to max.

habik
11-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Hi Habik, thanks for the info.

There is 447k on the colour devs, so they are far away from needing changed anyway. Will try the above and see how that goes.OK let us know.

If you have spare HV and K Dev, take it.

Before you start changing bits can you print CMYK gradation test and halftones around 60?

Quatro
11-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Its NG - no good.

Better test the HV and as much as possible if you cab change the DV unit of cyan,
As per your sample Cyan is some what like over toner,

copier tech
11-14-2017, 07:27 AM
OK let us know.

If you have spare HV and K Dev, take it.

Before you start changing bits can you print CMYK gradation test and halftones around 60?

Poster is using compatible toner, I would always suspect that first before looking at a hardware issue.

Desert Rat
11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
I agree with copier tech, set it up with oem toner and fresh developer. Aftermarket products can work well
but if a bad batch gets out, it can be very confusing.
Many times my assumptions have led me down the wrong path.

DR

habik
11-15-2017, 01:19 AM
Poster is using compatible toner, I would always suspect that first before looking at a hardware issue.Good point, assumed he'd go with that after vacuuming the hopper as suggested above. Let's wait and see.

Zesti
11-15-2017, 01:15 PM
I agree with Habik and other guys suggestions. I can see bad cyan DV unit and the ghosting mostly related to HV. Also check the PH unit and it's connection with relay board.

habik
11-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Something else occurred to me regards to ghosting. Is the erase led strip lighting up for cyan?

D Colour
11-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Just an update.....

Had another tech look at the machine, they replaced the transfer belt and roller. This made no difference until they adjusted the Cyan image background voltage (set from 0 to +3) and this seems to have fixed it for now. This was a week ago.

Voltage -5

Voltage 0

Voltage +3

Voltage +5

The transfer belt was over life (2 times nearly). I wonder if it was somehow screwing with the voltages. I've seen a bulletin about units past their life giving issues to other components.

Hopefully this is resolved.

Edit - Heres the bulletin. thanks to copier tech for previously posting this.

habik
11-23-2017, 10:27 PM
So it was background as suggested.
Glad you worked it out. :) Good job.

D Colour
11-23-2017, 11:48 PM
So it was background as suggested.
Glad you worked it out. :) Good job.

Yeah, glad you suggested it, or else we could have been tearing hair out!

Thanks to everyone that contributed. Hopefully that's it fixed.

allan
11-26-2017, 09:27 PM
The background adjustment can squeeze the last drops of life out of the drums. Does anyone no if it will go back to zero if a new drum is installed?

Zesti
11-27-2017, 11:12 AM
The background adjustment can squeeze the last drops of life out of the drums. Does anyone no if it will go back to zero if a new drum is installed?You're right Allan. If it was new IU the life counter should be zero itself. If only drum changed, machine is assuming the same drum and will keep adjusting it's voltages etc according to it's running and time.

Sent from my RHYTHM RX60 using Tapatalk

Custom Search