PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous 4100DN Printer Producing Steam

Custom Search

RoyROd
11-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Good day all,

I've got a FS-4100DN that is producing moisture and steam from the rear of the machine in the Fuser area, with two different fusers, brand new paper and in a cool dry environment. I am honestly at a loss since I've never seen this before and certainly not on this model. Has anyone seen anything like this before and, if so, how did you correct it?

The_Murph
11-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Good day all,

I've got a FS-4100DN that is producing moisture and steam from the rear of the machine in the Fuser area, with two different fusers, brand new paper and in a cool dry environment. I am honestly at a loss since I've never seen this before and certainly not on this model. Has anyone seen anything like this before and, if so, how did you correct it?

Bizarre. What happens if you were to run a full ream through continuously? Does it "run out of steam" (so to speak)? Is it like a vapor cloud like when someone takes a pull off an e-cig? The moisture would have to be introduced at some point prior to fusing, perhaps a pocket of moisture? Did you try fresh paper that YOU provided or was it from their stock? Perhaps a video of the steam if it is substantial?

Sorry so fragmented and all over the place, just spitballing ideas...

Ropariva
11-22-2017, 08:38 PM
A little bit of steam is produced from any fuser as all paper, fresh or otherwise will have some moisture content. I’d consider it normal. I’ve seen steam produced from 4100 series machines many times but I do live in a humid area. Unless it is condensing on the guides in great blobs of water it shouldn’t cause any issues.

Ctl-Alt-Del
11-22-2017, 09:08 PM
All paper has some level of moisture, heat + moisture = steam, but usually not enough to see so my guess this is a reasonably high volume machine, Back in the day I worked on a few that on long runs could actually get enough steam build-up in the exit area to drip on the paper, especially this time of year when the rain and darker days start.

Where is your general geographic location?
is the machine in a typical climate controlled office environment?
is the machine near a window or vent that might cause temperature to vary near the machine more than the rest of the room?
do they turn the heat off at night an come into a cold office in the AM?

Robob
11-22-2017, 09:18 PM
I've seen that too.
You might try taking the copies you just made, now dried out by the heat of the process, and put them back in the paper tray, face down.
If they don't stream this time, you know it was just moisture in the paper.

copyman
11-22-2017, 10:08 PM
Agree with the others. I don't think it is anything to worry about. Only thing it could be is moisture in paper, nothing else but water cause steam, vapor, etc.

Try this, take around 100 sheets of paper and put in a 250 degree oven for around 10 mins, then put into printer and try it. I bet you won't have any vapor.

blackcat4866
11-22-2017, 10:47 PM
I've seen it on the 4100 and 4200. In this case the paper was stored in a cold (sub freezing) warehouse, then loaded directly into a room temperature machine. AFAIK it has never caused any other issue than perception. =^..^=

RoyROd
11-27-2017, 09:07 PM
I thank you all for your replies, I just got back from our office holiday vacation so I wasn't able to reply to all of them. But I'll answer what I can.

The machine was brought back to our office and we used our paper which is stored in our supply closet which is cool and dry, but not to cold.

The machine is normally in a small office no window in a hospital building.

The steam was reported by a different tech but I've seen the condensation forming on the rear door and in the Exit Tray after 50 prints.

While I understand that some moisture is to be expected, the amount the machine is producing is ridiculous.

We've tried two different Fusers and a different Engine Board, which controls the heat of the Fuser, with no change.

copyman
11-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Again, there is no way the printer can cause moisture. It has to be the paper. You can see everything you replaced didn't help. As I posted, to confirm it is a paper issue put 100 sheet of paper in your oven at home. Put that paper in a ziplock bag until you can get back to the printer, if you run those 100 dried sheets you won't see a bit of vapor, moisture, etc!

I don't do this often but I'll give you my personal guarantee it's the paper :cool:

buzz
11-27-2017, 11:41 PM
I have two 4300dn printers inside a huge refrigerator at a Produce Company's Warehouse and both printers have this exact effect (smoke puffing out of the delivery rollers after each page). I video'd it just for documentation. It is moisture and environment.

Custom Search