PDA

View Full Version : firmware update question... cumulative vs progressive

Custom Search

n25an
11-30-2017, 10:19 AM
how can I tell which konica minolta machines require...
cumulative... latest firmware installed good to go...
vs.
progressive... we have to install firmwares one by one from the oldest not installed to the most recent...

probably have terms wrong but you get the idea

Zesti
11-30-2017, 01:03 PM
In my opinion if the machine is working good without any problem no need to go for update unless there are some major functional enhancements or any specific problem or error. Isn't it simple.

Albonline
11-30-2017, 05:32 PM
how can I tell which konica minolta machines require...
cumulative... latest firmware installed good to go...
vs.
progressive... we have to install firmwares one by one from the oldest not installed to the most recent...

probably have terms wrong but you get the idea

no firm answer on this. you would need to read the notes on a given firmware/model.

habik
11-30-2017, 06:14 PM
In this day and age where updates on security are part of daily maintenance I'd rather blame manufacturer or system admin for loophole rather then me being blamed for not updating to the latest level.

Some machines can go right up to the latest MR level. But in some instances you require special firmwares.

With some older machines rolling back firmware may void warranty on boards.

So IMHO go with the flow and tailor your customers to their requirements and needs!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

mo0651
11-30-2017, 10:53 PM
I feel this is KonicaMinoltas biggest issue. The firmware listings pull numbers from everywhere. I have seen Movie Data in both Special and regular firmware locations. Nothing is consistent.
You MUST read the attached READ ME FILES so you can really find some answers. Some firmware lets you jump to the newest latest greatest. Some you have to load in stages.
Other manufacturers list them as "ABC1.2" Then "ABC1.3", "ABC2.0". In some order that can be followed.
Read the "READ ME" files. Clear as Mud.:cool:

blackcat4866
12-01-2017, 12:09 AM
I feel this is KonicaMinoltas biggest issue. The firmware listings pull numbers from everywhere. I have seen Movie Data in both Special and regular firmware locations. Nothing is consistent.
You MUST read the attached READ ME FILES so you can really find some answers. Some firmware lets you jump to the newest latest greatest. Some you have to load in stages.
Other manufacturers list them as "ABC1.2" Then "ABC1.3", "ABC2.0". In some order that can be followed.
Read the "READ ME" files. Clear as Mud.:cool:

If I can add to this, Kyocera has a much better handle on firmware bulletins. Kyocera firmware bulletins are cumulative, adding another chapter each time to the one firmware bulletin when a firmware update occurs. To get the same information on Konica Minolta firmware you might have to read 50 or more such firmware bulletins, some special firmware, some base firmware. I've spent whole days on investigating possible firmware resolutions. Most of the time you walk away scratching your head. By all appearances the same issue seems to get resolved again and again in several consecutive firmware levels. =^..^=

Synthohol
12-01-2017, 12:20 AM
from the 3 series forward i never had any issue installing the newest FW.
on the 0 and 1 series and before you had to do steps and there were function bit switches and HDD ver up and all that crap.
all thos old machines are discontinued and not supported so you shouldnt have to either.
time to upgrade if thats the case.
like if a customer says they need a windows 7/8/10 driver for an old Di620 (it does not exist) so either upgrade your copier or find an old PC with XP or earlier.
we shouldnt have to support dinosaurs.

yeah i went off topic but im tired and hungry...

n25an
12-04-2017, 04:54 AM
how do you know what series a machine is in???

Synthohol
12-04-2017, 12:16 PM
the last digit of the model
360 551 552 423 554 227 658

n25an
12-06-2017, 08:58 AM
thanks for the info on series... never knew that... much appreciated...

Custom Search