PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C258 color and Bw drum unit

Custom Search

kalimero
12-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Hello All,

So far it the bizhub c220/c280/c360/c224/c284... models we were abble to use the black drum units as color,
but now in the bizhub c258/c308 series when swapping the units black to color there is a quality issue.
By eye the color DU and b/w DU ire indentical!

Has anyone figured this up? What is the difference?

Thanks!

habik
12-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Hello All,

So far it the bizhub c220/c280/c360/c224/c284... models we were abble to use the black drum units as color,
but now in the bizhub c258/c308 series when swapping the units black to color there is a quality issue.

Thanks!Gap

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

seriches
12-07-2017, 01:54 PM
they now use charge rollers and colour ones are different to blk so wont work konica never sold any colour drums so changed the charege rollers so mc knows diff between colour and blk
steve r

Gaffers01
01-19-2018, 04:06 PM
I know this is an old post but i presume everyone knows that you can change the black drum units to colour.

habik
01-19-2018, 06:06 PM
I know this is an old post but i presume everyone knows that you can change the black drum units to colour.Yes, chip & de-lug.

kmfa
01-20-2018, 11:19 PM
Hello All,

Thanks!

:confused: really ? k drum = color drum ?

Tech Helpdesk
01-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Yes, chip & de-lug.

We don't bother changing the chips we use adapters !

Very easy to convert the black drums to color and the savings are massive.

habik
01-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Very easy to convert the black drums to color and the savings are massive.That's neat! Nice one!

jrf
01-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Very clever, could you please explain exactly what you do.
Thanks

Max
01-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Had a quick look and those chips are quite expensive,£50 + VAT a piece

Coggers
04-11-2018, 10:42 PM
I know this is an old post but i presume everyone knows that you can change the black drum units to colour.
Hi could you tell me a bit more on how to change the c258 black drum to fit the colour and what we need to do
I notice katun do a reset chip tool is this what we need?
Your help would be greatly received

gen67
04-17-2018, 01:32 PM
u can use the BK drum for all colors.

u need a color-chip (im not sure if katun have them)
and u need to exchange the front holder of the new black drum with the holder of the old color drum. (because theres a bigger spacer (to the dev unit) in front that results in half copies in color. (its the black holder 3(+2) screws under the blue front grip (2 screws)
and at last theres a black stopper backside of the drum wich has to be removed.

on new drums it could be hard to exchange the drum-chip because now there is no screw. maybe break the old one and glue the new one.

Gift
03-20-2019, 01:46 PM

Nice, where do you purchase them? I was going to create some sort of resetter for this docking port but dropped the project due to a lack of time (and chips from china are very cheap).

lazymangr
03-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Yes, chip & de-lug.

what you mean de-lug?

where do i find this?

we used to chip away on 4e machines and behind, but so far never needed to replace any drum to 8 series

flippinsweet
03-27-2019, 05:02 PM
You just need to remove the blue cover with 2 screws then remove the 3 lower screws to remove the bracket. Do not remove the 2 upper screws (which look slightly different) as this can effect copy quality and cause damage to the drum / dev. You also have to snap off the black plastic lug that sits on the same side as where you find the serial number but a bit further down.

I'm pretty sure you can use the c224 drum chips to reset these units too.

flippinsweet
03-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Could anyone tell me if they've had any issues using black drums as colour drums in the c308 range?

I've fitted quite a few recently by changing the front end and the chip and not had any issues. Now my MD is telling me I can't do this anymore as someone told him doing this will damage the dev units? Didn't tell me anything else, just that it's a well known problem and that it will cause the dev units to fail?

Wondering if anyone else has heard of this, the guy who told him also wants to sell him refurbished colour drums for around the same price as a new black drum so it sounds like a load of Bull to me?

jonbonse
06-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Hi all

Does anyone know if the Konica C258 colour drums fit the Olivetti MF254?

habik
06-29-2019, 02:38 PM
Hi all

Does anyone know if the Konica C258 colour drums fit the Olivetti MF254?

It will, just need to modify.

seriches
09-10-2019, 04:32 PM

can i ask where you bought drum chip adapter from please
steve r
seriches@gmail.com

nitro912gr
05-13-2021, 11:41 AM
Hello everyone, so you need to replace what exactly? The blue part only or the blue AND the black part behind it? (I have the chip changed, I just need to fix the half drum not touching right thing).

This difference isn't visible with just looking at it?
I haven't touched the new units but I try to compare an older used one that was with the printer (that is dated before 2016) with the new unopened black drum and can't spot any difference of the old black with the new black.
(yet the new unit can't sit right and I get that gradient printing).

femaster
05-14-2021, 05:11 AM
Hello everyone, so you need to replace what exactly? The blue part only or the blue AND the black part behind it? (I have the chip changed, I just need to fix the half drum not touching right thing).

This difference isn't visible with just looking at it?
I haven't touched the new units but I try to compare an older used one that was with the printer (that is dated before 2016) with the new unopened black drum and can't spot any difference of the old black with the new black.
(yet the new unit can't sit right and I get that gradient printing).

The differences aren't visible in your picture. If you are trying to use a black drum in place of a color drum, then the black end piece needs to be swapped between the new black drum and the old color drum. Depending on when that black drum was made, you may also need to swap the small black piece that is still on the metal drum shaft in your picture. One last thing that needs to come off is a small plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly, 3/4 of the way down the body of the drum towards the rear side.

The differences between the color and black drums (besides the chip itself) are:
1) The piece of plastic that is held in place by the 2 screws on the black drum end cap in your picture. That piece is a spacer the affects the gap between the drum and dev unit. The black drums have a raised tab on that piece, where the color drums are flat.
2) The plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly.

nitro912gr
05-14-2021, 08:51 AM
The differences aren't visible in your picture. If you are trying to use a black drum in place of a color drum, then the black end piece needs to be swapped between the new black drum and the old color drum. Depending on when that black drum was made, you may also need to swap the small black piece that is still on the metal drum shaft in your picture. One last thing that needs to come off is a small plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly, 3/4 of the way down the body of the drum towards the rear side.

The differences between the color and black drums (besides the chip itself) are:
1) The piece of plastic that is held in place by the 2 screws on the black drum end cap in your picture. That piece is a spacer the affects the gap between the drum and dev unit. The black drums have a raised tab on that piece, where the color drums are flat.
2) The plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
My man sent me the drums without this modification (only the chip change) and I didn't want to sent them another trip back and forth because couriers are savages and those are delicate parts.
He told me by phone what to do but having a clear picture of what I'm looking for helps a ton.

pepper38_cnd
11-25-2021, 06:12 PM

I know this is old but with today's shortages we find we have Black drum and can't get color drums. Do you know if these adapters are still available? and where I may purchase them? Thanks

occus
08-18-2023, 12:38 PM
Can someone please give me a tip? I changed the black and blue front from an old color drum onto the new black drum. I replaced 2 drums and both had the same problem. Where is the trick?

Thank you for feedback.

femaster
08-23-2023, 12:03 AM
Can someone please give me a tip? I changed the black and blue front from an old color drum onto the new black drum. I replaced 2 drums and both had the same problem. Where is the trick?
The two suggestions I have are:

1) Don't leave the tiny screw behind when you remove the small black tab on the side of the K-drum. Some people just tend to pull the plastic tab off and then never remove the screw that was holding it in place.
2) Once the blue handle piece is removed, you are faced with FIVE (5) screws in the black plastic end-cap. Remove only the three (3) screws with the wide heads, DO NOT TOUCH the two (2) small head screws found on either side of the metal drum shaft! These hold a black plastic piece to the other side of the end-cap. If that piece is moved it will alter the gap (distance) between the drum and development unit and create all sorts chaos and mayhem with your copy quality, along with potential damage to the new drum as well as possibly draining of the developer from the development unit.

occus
08-24-2023, 09:01 AM
The two suggestions I have are:

1) Don't leave the tiny screw behind when you remove the small black tab on the side of the K-drum. Some people just tend to pull the plastic tab off and then never remove the screw that was holding it in place.
2) Once the blue handle piece is removed, you are faced with FIVE (5) screws in the black plastic end-cap. Remove only the three (3) screws with the wide heads, DO NOT TOUCH the two (2) small head screws found on either side of the metal drum shaft! These hold a black plastic piece to the other side of the end-cap. If that piece is moved it will alter the gap (distance) between the drum and development unit and create all sorts chaos and mayhem with your copy quality, along with potential damage to the new drum as well as possibly draining of the developer from the development unit.

Many thanks for your support.

I didn't touch the two screws from the spacers. Yes, I left the small black screw that falls in when removing the blockage, but removed it afterwards. Unfortunately, it makes no difference in print quality.
I also played around with the metal spring contact on the front. There is contact grease on it from the old color unit. I cleaned and removed them but that doesn't make a difference either.

At first there were other versions of image units where they then changed the spacer.
My black imaging units are now new versions and I take the front part of the old factory color imaging units.
Can that cause the problem? Can anyone confirm this has ever worked? Stripes are not visible at full tone pattern 255. I test always with 150 density.

tsbservice
08-24-2023, 11:26 AM
Many thanks for your support.

I didn't touch the two screws from the spacers. Yes, I left the small black screw that falls in when removing the blockage, but removed it afterwards. Unfortunately, it makes no difference in print quality.
I also played around with the metal spring contact on the front. There is contact grease on it from the old color unit. I cleaned and removed them but that doesn't make a difference either.

At first there were other versions of image units where they then changed the spacer.
My black imaging units are now new versions and I take the front part of the old factory color imaging units.
Can that cause the problem? Can anyone confirm this has ever worked? Stripes are not visible at full tone pattern 255. I test always with 150 density.

On new style K drum there is an extra black plastic tab which I just remove and throw away because it hinder.
I will do one next week and take some pics for you.

Custom Search