PDA

View Full Version : 368 - new series DNS scan to smb issue

Custom Search

MVPunisher
12-07-2017, 06:12 PM
I have ran across this at a few installs lately where the new series will not connect to a host name. Most of our customers are scanning to email or to a server where it is not an issue.

But like today for an example. Replacing a bizhub 364e that scans to the 10 individual PCs on a smaller netowork. Plug the new copier in and it will only scan to ip address. Dns is correct, tried messing with all sorts of settings. I cannot ping the PCs host name from the copier. I can however ping the copiers host name from a Pc. I can also ping host names from pc to pc. So clearly DNS is working on the network, and even the copier "one way".

Not the first customer where this has happened. Anyone see anything I'm overlooking. Thanks.

Synthohol
12-07-2017, 07:34 PM
did you use backup to external memory in admin mode on the old one and import to the new one?

Woxner
12-07-2017, 09:54 PM
i will have to look it up but i think there is a soft sw to change.

srvctec
12-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Also check that SMB client setting v1/v2 is on. Had that cause issues many times.

BHM
12-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Seeing the same thing here and other strange issues.

1. If sending to host name, will get a "folder not found" error.
2. Upgrading a 4 series to an 8 series and can not longer send to host name, only ip address.
3. Have a 308 that will scan to a 2012 r2 server for about an hour then fail with a server connection error. (Error code is for timeout error). Once it starts failing it must be rebooted. Brought in another 308 for testing and same issue. $ series works with no problem. Oddest thing is that when it fails to the server, it scans fine to a Win10 folder.

Running function 4 firmware. Tried all smb setting combinations. The 4 series works fine with NTLM1.

There is something about these 8 series that just is not right.

srvctec
12-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Seeing the same thing here and other strange issues.

1. If sending to host name, will get a "folder not found" error.
2. Upgrading a 4 series to an 8 series and can not longer send to host name, only ip address.
3. Have a 308 that will scan to a 2012 r2 server for about an hour then fail with a server connection error. (Error code is for timeout error). Once it starts failing it must be rebooted. Brought in another 308 for testing and same issue. $ series works with no problem. Oddest thing is that when it fails to the server, it scans fine to a Win10 folder.

Running function 4 firmware. Tried all smb setting combinations. The 4 series works fine with NTLM1.

There is something about these 8 series that just is not right.I thought there was a function v4.1 F/W out, at least there is here in the states. G00-R9 is the one. Maybe it addresses these issues? It just came out in the last week or so.

kmcopytech
12-09-2017, 11:12 AM
There are some strange problems in the 8 series。

Try:

1\Admin>Network>SMB Settings>SMB Server Settings>ON,

2\Share SMB File Setting>ON,

3\Closing the fast IP filter function.

Update to GC2-54/G00-83 or latest FW.

Jack.

BHM
12-09-2017, 03:39 PM
I thought there was a function v4.1 F/W out, at least there is here in the states. G00-R9 is the one. Maybe it addresses these issues? It just came out in the last week or so.

Yes, 4.1 was just released but no indication that it resolves any related issues but will try 4.1 Monday as a precaution.

Synthohol
12-09-2017, 05:38 PM
through the control panel can you search the shared network folder?

BHM
12-10-2017, 06:19 PM
through the control panel can you search the shared network folder?

Have not tried while it was in a state of not working. Will try one day next week when it is not scanning.

KMFLT3CH
12-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Disable/turn off DFS setting on the 8 series, this is the opposite of the 4/4e series.

Admin > Network Settings > SMB Settings > Client Settings > Forward button (iirc) > DFS Setting set to OFF.

Also make sure your firmware is up to date, there was special FW released a while back for SMB v2 protocol.

BHM
12-12-2017, 02:47 AM
Disable/turn off DFS setting on the 8 series, this is the opposite of the 4/4e series.

Admin > Network Settings > SMB Settings > Client Settings > Forward button (iirc) > DFS Setting set to OFF.

Also make sure your firmware is up to date, there was special FW released a while back for SMB v2 protocol.

Hmmmm... the name of the server is dfs1 and they are "wanting" to use dfs but there are older machines scanning just fine. You might be on to something.

I went there this morning and it was in a state of not scanning. I tried to browse the network from the control panel and it failed with a timeout error.

Did upgrade to Function 4.1 and had not heard back from them today. That does not mean it is fixed since the machine was moved to an out of the way spot for testing and they probably did not test it very much.

rrrohan
12-12-2017, 02:52 AM
I was advised by KM they are fixing DFS on the 958 series in this month FW and to just roll back to GC5-H0

Didnt know and wasnt told you could just disable it. Interesting

MVPunisher
12-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Wasnt getting email alerts on this thread. Had no idea I was even getting responses.

Just glad to see I am not the only one, hopefully will be corrected soon.

guitar9199
12-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Had something similar on a Canon a while back... made me want to pull what's left of my hair out!!

Go into Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel, go to the properties of your Ethernet adapter, select the TCP/IPv4 adapter and click "Properties", click the "Advanced" button, click the WINS tab, and change the setting to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

NetBIOS over DHCP doesn't play well with Windows SMB.

MVPunisher
12-12-2017, 06:42 PM
I can take a look....but these 10 computers all worked with the 4 series machine we just pulled out....

Woxner
12-12-2017, 10:21 PM
soft sw 162 will allow smb2/3 if it off its smb1/ you get one or the other

BHM
12-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Did upgrade to Function 4.1 and had not heard back from them today.

Just heard back and it stopped scanning to their server again. Will disable dfs in the morning...

BHM
12-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Disabled dfs on the copier this morning and scans started failing again shortly after.

Konica tech support now has two tickets open for this dame issue. Earlier in the year there was a firmware update for this issue. That version has been removed.

I now sit and twirl my thumbs waiting on a response from Konica.

habik
12-13-2017, 07:02 PM
Have you tried creating new certificate? SSL On?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

copier tech
12-13-2017, 09:04 PM
I too have seen this issue, adviced customer to use scan to email untill I find a resolution.
The secret its getting the browse from the MFD to work, if it “sees” the shared folder SMB scan will work.

BHM
12-13-2017, 10:08 PM
I too have seen this issue, adviced customer to use scan to email untill I find a resolution.
The secret its getting the browse from the MFD to work, if it “sees” the shared folder SMB scan will work.

I can browse to the server network share WHEN the scanning is working. When it is working, it is perfect. Problem is that after about 30 or so minutes, it stops scanning to the server and at that point I can not browse back to that same network share.

BHM
12-19-2017, 06:53 PM
I was advised by KM they are fixing DFS on the 958 series in this month FW and to just roll back to GC5-H0

Didnt know and wasnt told you could just disable it. Interesting

Per tech support, rolled f/w back down to base and it is working fine. Firmware fix is coming soon...

delboy10
12-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Per tech support, rolled f/w back down to base and it is working fine. Firmware fix is coming soon...

We are having a same issue here. What base f/w you have to roll back? And for what is the exact model?

Thank you!

delboy

BHM
12-19-2017, 09:50 PM
We are having a same issue here. What base f/w you have to roll back? And for what is the exact model?

Thank you!

delboy

B&W 308. Base firmware is G00-13

BHM
12-20-2017, 04:06 PM
B&W 308. Base firmware is G00-13

Dipsw for firmware level (25 I believe) set to 60 which is function 3.2

rrrohan
12-21-2017, 01:14 AM
Firmware fix is not out yet? I was told this month

BHM
12-21-2017, 02:14 AM
Firmware fix is not out yet? I was told this month

I was told that it should be out this month but not to promise the customer.

copier tech
12-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Version GC2-R9 firmware Function 4.1 has recently been released, note 28 appears to address this issue?

BHM
12-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm...

We installed fumction 4.1 last week and there was no mention of the dfs issue being resolved nor did it resolve the issue. Going to have to go back and look at what the actual firmware version was. It this looks promising.

That is for the heads up!

Vikingrepairguy
01-31-2018, 01:49 PM
Does the computer or server your scanning to have a password set up on it, Ive noticed that if the you dont have a password the machine dosent like it. We add a 2nd user called Scans and apply a password to that account and set up the shared folder it seems to like that a bit better.

REGSIS
02-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Does the computer or server your scanning to have a password set up on it, Ive noticed that if the you dont have a password the machine dosent like it. We add a 2nd user called Scans and apply a password to that account and set up the shared folder it seems to like that a bit better.

That's my "must do" step when I setup scan to SMB.
And even when user already has password, sometimes it doesn't work with that account, and I need to setup 2nd one. It's strange but it works.

One other thing which I encountered lately:
Windows 10 (fall update version) fresh install comes with SMB v1.0 disabled.
Server connection error occurs. SMB 1 should be enabled (installed).
Update on older instalations doesn't change this (SMB v1 stays enabled).
Problem is only on new instalations where SMB v1 is disabled by default.

1twig
07-13-2019, 11:00 PM
I have ran across this at a few installs lately where the new series will not connect to a host name. Most of our customers are scanning to email or to a server where it is not an issue.

But like today for an example. Replacing a bizhub 364e that scans to the 10 individual PCs on a smaller netowork. Plug the new copier in and it will only scan to ip address. Dns is correct, tried messing with all sorts of settings. I cannot ping the PCs host name from the copier. I can however ping the copiers host name from a Pc. I can also ping host names from pc to pc. So clearly DNS is working on the network, and even the copier "one way".

Not the first customer where this has happened. Anyone see anything I'm overlooking. Thanks.
Try Creating a new User then in new user properties remove in member of so it won't display in login window.Also in network smb put in domain name.Enable DFS
hope this is helpful.Click on the link below for more info

Configuring the SMB Transmission Environment (https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C554-C454-C364-C284-C224/EN/contents/id08-0082.html#p2290)

mincopier
07-14-2019, 01:40 PM
That's my "must do" step when I setup scan to SMB.
And even when user already has password, sometimes it doesn't work with that account, and I need to setup 2nd one. It's strange but it works.

One other thing which I encountered lately:
Windows 10 (fall update version) fresh install comes with SMB v1.0 disabled.
Server connection error occurs. SMB 1 should be enabled (installed).
Update on older instalations doesn't change this (SMB v1 stays enabled).
Problem is only on new instalations where SMB v1 is disabled by default.

Use caution when enabling SMBV1. There is a reason this was disabled. I believe it was the "Wanna Cry" virus. By enabling SMBV1 you are exposing the customer to this risk. Admittedly it seems like there is no other choice when in fact there are fixes. Firmware and other copier settings. Permission settings on the computer.

A tool I have been using recently is "Event Viewer" This is built into windows so it does not require and other installation of software. In the search just top in "Event Viewer" and it will be found. Then scroll through too:
Application and Service Logs
Microsoft
Windows
SMB Section (SMBClient, SMBDirect, SMBServer, SMBWitnessClient)
When you click on each section there is an Audit, Connectivity, Operational, and Security

I have found most of my fixes under SMBServer, Security. Just look at the times and open it and read the errors. If there is communication is reaching the machine usually there will be an error of some kind. Sometimes it makes sense such as communication from SMB1 when SMB1 is disabled. The confusing one comes in to play when the error is related to authentication and you know the login and password's are correct. Then it is a matter of permissions on the computer not being correct someplace. This could be password not meeting security settings, (length/characters), sharing in "Advanced Permissions", etc,...

Sometimes services get turned off with windows updates a few I have found are:
Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

SSDP Discovery

TCP/IP Netbios Helper

UPnP Device Host

DNS Client

Device Association Service

A couple of the above settings will also keep "Network Discovery" from staying enabled. It can be turned on but then you exit and go back it is off again.

If you run into a problem that everything works and after a very specific time each time check the "ARP" table settings. Had one years ago that after 15 minutes the copier IP dropped out of the Arp table and the copier would no longer email. Tried 5 different copiers and manufactures and customers IT still blamed the copier because they did not want to figure out why on their end.

And of course another option is FTP. IT will of course say FTP is not secure. Anonymous can be urned off and and use a login to make it secure.

The above is no guarantee of a fix but has helped get a few stubborn scans working. Since we support 3 manufactures the copier settings do not always work. Most of the reasons why SMB does not work is at the PC. It is just a matter of figuring out what the PC wants. I'm starting to look at using "WireShark" to read some of the reasons why SMB works and does not work. I'm new to WireShark so unless I find something specific I probably will not be updating on this thread about. I'll start a new one for that.

Custom Search