PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous FTP vs SMB scanning speeds

Custom Search

Qball
12-10-2017, 02:25 AM
I have a customer who just got a C658. They have scan to folder set up via SMB. They also have the Auto Store app which scans using the FTP protocol.

The customer brought something to my attention. When using Auto Store (FTP), the originals scream through the doc feeder. When using scan to folder (SMB) the originals are a bit slower through the feeder, though they still move at a decent clip.

I didn’t have a very knowledgeable answer for why this was happening. I theorized that it has to do with the different protocols but couldn’t expound upon that.

I told him that I would get back to him about this. Can anyone drop some knowledge on me about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synthohol
12-10-2017, 02:51 AM
check the DPI. higher DPI will scan slower.
also one protocol may send the data over right away and the other compiles the whole data before sending.

Qball
12-10-2017, 03:18 AM
check the DPI. higher DPI will scan slower.
also one protocol may send the data over right away and the other compiles the whole data before sending.

Should have mentioned that. Both are scanning at 300x300 dpi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synthohol
12-10-2017, 10:33 AM
FTP can be extremely fast to transfer large documents (though it's way less efficient with small files).FTP is faster than SMB but it has less functionality.
FTP clients also have the option to split files into parts to do multi-part transfers which accelerate the speed even further for single file transfers, and this can be used in conjunction with multiple simultaneous file transfers.

KMFLT3CH
12-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Check that the Mixed Original option isn't enabled by default when they are scanning SMB.

BHM
12-12-2017, 08:10 PM
I never timed the new feeder but when scanning to smb it is definitely a lot faster that the 78 opm of the older feeders.

Autostore might have it own dpi settings. Scan the same doc both ways and compare file size and quality.

Custom Search