PDA

View Full Version : KM6500 Expertise needed

Custom Search

CopyMonkey
09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I am in dire need of help with my KM6500 (Ikon CPP650). I will admit up front that I am an end user. I work with both a CPP500 and a CPP650 in a print for pay environment. I am not looking for user manuals or codes to access the internal workings of my machine. I have a fabulous tech for that. What I am looking for is if any of you out there with experience on these machines have seen some of the problems that I am encountering. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

For the last month, one particular type of paper has been jamming in the fuser of the 650. It is 100# gloss text. We thought it was the paper, so we ordered a different brand from a different supplier. Now it jams every 12 sheets (we run it 12 X 18). I have read the thread concerning this in the forum and have tried bumping the weight both up and down. Still jams. If I want to use the toner reduction function mentioned would I need my tech to do that?

The machine just had a PM less than two weeks ago. We had to have the coronas cleaned yesterday. We have installed a transformer to control the voltage (tech thought it was too high). Has anybody found an optimum voltage aside from the factory specs?

We seem to go through transfer belts faster than we should because of streaking. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Specilist KVN
09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I am in dire need of help with my KM6500 (Ikon CPP650). I will admit up front that I am an end user. I work with both a CPP500 and a CPP650 in a print for pay environment. I am not looking for user manuals or codes to access the internal workings of my machine. I have a fabulous tech for that. What I am looking for is if any of you out there with experience on these machines have seen some of the problems that I am encountering. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

For the last month, one particular type of paper has been jamming in the fuser of the 650. It is 100# gloss text. We thought it was the paper, so we ordered a different brand from a different supplier. Now it jams every 12 sheets (we run it 12 X 18). I have read the thread concerning this in the forum and have tried bumping the weight both up and down. Still jams. If I want to use the toner reduction function mentioned would I need my tech to do that?

The machine just had a PM less than two weeks ago. We had to have the coronas cleaned yesterday. We have installed a transformer to control the voltage (tech thought it was too high). Has anybody found an optimum voltage aside from the factory specs?

We seem to go through transfer belts faster than we should because of streaking. Any suggestions?

When running gloss stock you need to be very specific with the settings.
In the paper type you can even identify if it is a laser rated stock or an offset stock. That is the first step, set the settings accurately.

The toner reduction feature is available through the driver features.

If it is jamming in the fuser unit, there is a switch on the front, (opposite side from the paper feed). This switch can be moved to increase or decrease the fuser gap/tension.

If it is failing in the paper tray, try adding some weight to the feed roller by taping, yes TAPING a washer or 2 to the top of the unit.

Finally, have you checked the grain direction of the stock? If so, try using one of a different direction, this will also greatly affect the way the stock will wrap around the fusing unit itself.

Hopefully these tips will help you with your issues.

random
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
when your tech rebuilds the transfer belt he must polish all the rollers in the unit. Otherwise it will give you lines in a very short time.

CopyMonkey
09-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your help!:D

When you say that the toner reduction is in the printer drivers, is that in the RIP itself? We run a CREO and can't seem to find that specific function.

Specilist KVN
09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for your help!:D

When you say that the toner reduction is in the printer drivers, is that in the RIP itself? We run a CREO and can't seem to find that specific function.

AAAAAAAHHHH, this is a feature of FIERY ONLY. :eek:

Fiery comes with the tools to control and "tweek" the actual profiles so it has access to some more advanced features as far as colour. :cool:

If you are having issues with a stock, and the settings on the Creo are correct as far as type and weight, then you consentrate on the hardware aspect, such as fuser tension and my other suggestions.

Stock grain can have a HUGE impact on running as well as humidity and temperature fulxuations.

random
09-12-2008, 06:25 AM
on your creo goto gradations and drag the top right hand corner of the line down about 2% you will get a similar effect.

Specilist KVN
09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
on your creo goto gradations and drag the top right hand corner of the line down about 2% you will get a similar effect.

Doing this you are altering the "filter" between the profiles, thus adding a fourth bit of "math".

This is the same as adjusting the contrast in Photoshop and and will flatten the image/output.
Fiery maximum density setting is relevant to colours and profiles.

Your problems are more "hardware/settings" related when it is a specific type of stock.

Juxta5
09-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I've experienced the paper jams on these Konica's when the feed roller that immediately "follows" the fuser needs replacement. Sometimes the reason for the jam is that the paper does not cross the line of sensor's number 17 or 19 at precisely the right moment when "exiting" the fuser and the Konica will time-out and throw an error. If the feed roller is worn it will not pull gloss stock quickly or accurately enough.

If your transfer belt is scratching often, double check that your service person is applying enough setting powder to the cleaning blade so that it does not scratch the belt. Check that the cleaning blade does not have any nicks in it and that the belt cleaning blade's brushes (one on each side) are not worn. The belt should move freely, with no resistance, and the blade should glide on it.

Juxta5
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
when your tech rebuilds the transfer belt he must polish all the rollers in the unit. Otherwise it will give you lines in a very short time.

Personally I do not polish the rollers in the transfer unit. I replace them.

random
09-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Let me get this right. You replace all the metal rollers in the transfer belt unit?

Juxta5
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Let me get this right. You replace all the metal rollers in the transfer belt unit?

Konica c6500 Transfer Belt Unit
Transfer Roller Lower - OEM Part #65AA2611 Hard Rubber

Transfer Roller - OEM Part #A03U500400 Hard Rubber

K Roller (1 ea) - OEM Part #A03U500400 Hard Rubber

Color Rollers (C,M,Y) - OEM Part #A03u501200 Hard Rubber

every 200K

random
09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Right, I was wondering how it was possible to polish the first transfer rollers. You should also check that the belt is a new type. There should be no static rollers in the belt unit.

Albonline
09-14-2008, 01:37 AM
is this a recomended stock? are you duplexing? does output face up work? at pm did tech rebuild fuser unit (every 400k 8.5x11 or 200k 11x17 and larger when unit is set to count one click for large stock)?

CopyMonkey
09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks all for your replies.

Since I am not a tech, what would be the most diplomatic way to share your responses with my technician?

As for the last post, we have tried several different brands of coated GO paper. It is not digital stock- I share my paper with the press operators. We were duplexing, and it worked fine with that paper up until about a month ago. Then the jamming festivities began.

In the past the paper used to bubble and melt in the fuser. Now it just seems to fold up and get stuck. It does work when we print face up. So I have started printing one side of the piece, flipping it over, and running the other side.

I have no idea if he rebuilt the fuser unit at the last PM.

Thanks again:)

Albonline
09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
stock blistering and sticking to the roller is a sign of high moisture. stock that blisters when freshly unpackaged is a sign of poor qc in manufacture or of a nonrecomemded paper. as to you other questoin, iwould simply ask your tech. he works for you, in essence.

Juxta5
09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I highly recommend Hammermill brand stock available at Xpedx, If It's Paper, Arvey or Pick Quick. Their uncoated, coated matte and coated gloss are flawless. We go through cases of them in the Konica machines and do not have trouble.

Sterling Ultra Digital gloss text and cover will blister just like you mentioned in an earlier post. :eek: Avoid stocks from Office supply places like Staples. Their inventory does not move quickly enough and believe it or not "digital" paper does have a shelf life.

As far as your repair person... you could kinda say that you were talking to another shop owner who had "similar" problems and that person suggested trying, such and such. That way you would not sound like you were looking for another "Tech's" advice. I hope your tech is open to other suggestions. I swear that your machine should run like a dream.

CopyMonkey
10-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks to all who replied. We still haven't solved the paper problem but I have a feeling it's the paper.

One more question: Has anyone seen a range of color shifting across the page from left to right? We have much more magenta on the left and on the right it is almost green. This happens mostly with 4-color gray. I thought I had seen something about it in previous posts, but I can't find it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks again!:D

Just remembered- the thread about the true red on the 6500 is so right on. Our tech changed the assembly in May and it has made a world of difference in our red and blues.

random
10-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Yes this has unfortunately become a 'feature' in the c6500. c6501 have overcome this with a digital adjustment. Fear not it is repairable if you have a patient technician.

This problem exists because manufacturing differences in the charge corona may some times put the charge unit slightly closer at one end than the other. This gives you a slight imbalance that is noticeable in highlight tones as our eyes are most sensitive to this frequency.

Japan have supplied jigs to fit the drums to even out the print

bigmark
10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
one other thing to check really quick, make sure the lever on the left side of Fuser is in proper position for you paper type. it may help with the lines that you are seeing. especially if the lines are about an inch wide, and and inch or so apart towards the middle of the paper. this is especially true for glossy stocks. its a black lever with three arrows above it pointing down. this lever adjusts pressure of these two rollers, that are also suppose to be replaced every 200K.... if you open left side of fuser, and see black crispy materials on the two grey hard rollers.... your tech is not changing these at the PM cycles. They come in the 200K kit.

Gerry.Fitz
10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Hi ya
My name is Gerry
your problem can be cleared by asking your engineer to check drum line speed FD CD settings also to change the entry feed tyre on the adu to the right as you pull out the unit and finnally modify the feed tyres to new non slip type ...we had this on a lot of our m/c's
Hope it helps
Gerry
d

Blockshocker
01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
It sounds like it is the paper. Have you tried leaving the paper in the same room as the machine for at least a day before you print on it. I have a dehumidifier in the room which the machine is kept. But sometimes, no matter what you do, certain papers just wont run.

Stirton.M
01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
It sounds like it is the paper. Have you tried leaving the paper in the same room as the machine for at least a day before you print on it. I have a dehumidifier in the room which the machine is kept. But sometimes, no matter what you do, certain papers just wont run.

Pay attention to the dates on the threads you respond to. The last entry before yours was October 2008.

amitaav
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah the culprit is the grain direction in this case

Custom Search