PDA

View Full Version : biz C364e dropping off network

Custom Search

copyman
01-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Just delivered this off lease machine about a week ago (60k clicks). Their IT person connected it. I got a call from him today saying 2-3 times a day it is dropping off network. They turn machine off and back on and it is fine for a few hours. Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks

blackcat4866
01-25-2018, 12:13 AM
Three things that I would do:

1) Connect your laptop to the copiers network cable, and continuous ping back to the server. Watch for very long ping times. I had a situation where every 30 seconds it would ping up to 1200ms, drop out for 2 attempts, then come back.

2) Check for duplicate IP's.

3) Check the power. I've seen AC power issues cause this. Then it eventually comes back by itself after 1600 when the power settles down.

=^..^=

Woxner
01-25-2018, 01:11 AM
is this on a server? make sure SNMP is off in that case. Did you do a network clear before you installed this to dump all of last customer settings. Update firmware and check network speed in admin. If it were duplicat ip the machine would tell you in the screen. Could be a DNS issue which a network clear might help then reconfigure

Synthohol
01-25-2018, 04:15 AM
ive seen that a dozen times, lock the speed down to 100 speed full duplex and in service mode enable the disabling of sleep. go in admin mode and turn off sleep.
works every time for me.

copyman
01-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I wanted try some of the suggestions on a machine in shop but couldn't find the tab to set network speed. Does it need to be plugged into network to see?

habik
01-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I wanted try some of the suggestions on a machine in shop but couldn't find the tab to set network speed. Does it need to be plugged into network to see?

Nope.

Menu>Admin>Network>Detail>Device

mo0651
01-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Check the DATE and TIME on machine.:cool:

Flash
01-25-2018, 10:55 PM
If they are running power over ethernet that will cause it to drop off of the network. If that is the case their IT should be able to turn it off for the port the copier is using or you can put a cheap 5-port ethernet switch between the copier and their network. The switch will block POE.

copyman
01-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Wanted to update.Because the account is 75 miles away I picked a few of the suggestions posted here and had their IT person try them over the phone while I did the same on shop machine. This opened a can of worms and now they are not able to print at all! Hopefully there will be some clues to what it might be after explaining what was done.

This is what i had them do:

Service mode, Prohibit sleep mode (it was already on prohibit) didn't see sleep mode in admin

Set correct time.

Admin mode, changed speed to 100 full duplex as suggested here.
After changing speed turned machine off and back on and that was when they went offline. Had them put it back to Auto 10/100 where it was.

My kon/min IT guy happen to be in the area so had him stop there and he said all setting looked good. Only thing he noticed was the net cable. He said when he wiggled the cable the net lights went off and on so he replaced it. After replacing cable had the customer print a lot of stuff and he left. They called 5 mins after he left and said computers were offline again. Turning off and back on now don't work at all to reset like they were doing. Customer was down rest of day!

Few notes, machine is not on network with 2 PC's connected.

Going out monday to update firmware, change IP, etc

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Synthohol
01-27-2018, 01:09 AM
you want to permit not prohibit.
prohibit stops you from shutting sleep mode off
permit lets you.
then you will see the off-on selection in admin mode.

id "ping IP -t -w 5" it and wiggle the cable, if the solder joints are loose on the mfp board you should see changes in the TTL.

blackcat4866
01-27-2018, 02:19 AM
I had one today in which there was a Samsung cellphone duping the MFP's IP address. I usually run NetScan first, but got distracted by pings over 680ms worst and timeouts for 10 pings, 8ms best. It turns out that the VPN was mostly responsible for the slow ping and timeouts. On the local network all pings <1ms, I printed and scanned fine from my laptop (local, not across their VPN).

Just before I left the office manager lined up everybody with cellphones. One at a time they shut down their cells. When the last one shut down, a torrent of print jobs came through. =^..^=

copyman
01-27-2018, 02:31 AM
Thanks Syn for the tips. Would changing the speed cause it to drop off network? It was fine until I had them do that and even after I had them put it back to Auto 10/100.

Besides if the solder joints are loose for the port does the MFP boards go bad on these? Can I swap from a Biz C224e? Think I saw a bulletin you have to change the ssd if you do?

Thanks again

copyman
01-27-2018, 02:34 AM
Het BC, very interesting about the cell phone conflict. Will keep that in mind. With all this new technology you never know.

Makes me want to change the IP address as soon as I get there.

Synthohol
01-27-2018, 01:28 PM
ok, the speed thing is because the network ports on the copiers now are auto-negotiating as well as most hubs/switches nowadays.
sometimes they "fight" on what speed to lock in and neither one makes a decision and the connection is dropped.
thats why i lock them in at 100/FD when i see this symptom.

copyman
01-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Hey Syn, thanks for clarifying about the speed.

Is "M1" the latest F/W?

Thanks again.

Synthohol
01-27-2018, 01:46 PM
yes.

habik
01-27-2018, 02:54 PM
I had one today in which there was a Samsung cellphone duping the MFP's IP address. I usually run NetScan first, but got distracted by pings over 680ms worst and timeouts for 10 pings, 8ms best. It turns out that the VPN was mostly responsible for the slow ping and timeouts. On the local network all pings <1ms, I printed and scanned fine from my laptop (local, not across their VPN).

Just before I left the office manager lined up everybody with cellphones. One at a time they shut down their cells. When the last one shut down, a torrent of print jobs came through. =^..^=Experienced something similar on Friday with IP CCTV.

Sent from portable device using fast cheapset!

Custom Search