PDA

View Full Version : FK-502 and VoIP

Custom Search

B0265
09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience from FK-502 and VoIP lines?
Had a call from a customer today with a C250 that have installed ip phones and use a "HandyTone HT-286 Analog Telephone Adaptor" (never heard of the product myself) connected to the Fax Kit.
Grandstream - Innovative IP Telephony (http://www.grandstream.com/ht286.html)
They can send fax from the C250 but not receive, job history says "protocol error".
Any suggestions?

didspip
09-12-2008, 08:08 AM
VOIP is not supported on KM faxes :mad:

konisolver
09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
You can make it work 80% of the time by making changes to the fax. But it will not work with voip because of protocols involve. Even if they use a digital to analog converter it still wont work. The problem will mostly be on the rx part. If you need to make it work for now here are some settings that you can make- turn off ecm, increase your rx equalizer (max it out) disable all of you high speed protocols for rx only. With some of these changes you can make it work 80 percent. But it will not work with VOIP or from a T-1 into a digital to analog converter.

B0265
10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
we upgraded the FW on the machine to Phase 3.05 and the guys that installed the analogue telephone adapter did a reset on the box, after that it works fine.

Imagetech
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Newer info directly from KMBS Solutions:
Subject:

FK-502, using VoIP.

Description:
FK-502, VoIP TX/RX.
Solution:

More and more customers are changing their PBX systems from analog or ISDN to VoIP-based PBX systems.
Note: A digital-to-analog converter can be used and will work, but Konica Minolta will not provide any support if there are phone/fax issues.
Due to the general incompatibility of fax and VoIP, certain settings may not work. The problem is not caused by the Fax Unit, but is caused by:

the general design of VoIP using TCP/IP Packets.
VoIP PBX systems.
the general specification of VoIP and its
* Codecs
* Coding and decoding timings
* Fax fixed timings
* LAN Packet losses
* Quality of Services
* ITU/RFC Specification implementation
* Bugs
* Interpretation of technical terms within the specifications of the ITU-T and RFC
documents.
VoIP is still not supported offically by Konica Minolta, but may work in some instances.
Performing these suggested settings may solve the problem. Follow the step-by-step procedures:
From Service Mode:

FAX Settings => Communication => Protocol set "ON" for the "V.29 EP Tone" Protocol and set "OFF" for all other faster protocols.
FAX Settings => Communication => Others we have set "OFF" for the "ECM Function"
FAX Settings => Function Parameter => Address "000e0012 = 01111000 (decimal 78 = 120 sec) for T1 Timer for Calling
FAX Settings => Function Parameter => Address "000e0013 = 01111000 (decimal 78 = 120 sec) for T1 Timer for Called
System 2 => Software Switch => SoftSwitch 21 Bit 5 =1 (HEX 20 = over 4.5 sec) for T4 Waiting time between start Identification
Notes:
a. Before performing the above-mentioned settings it is recommended to upgrade the firmware to the latest version or to check if the FK-502 has the latest available version installed. The latest version firmware or system software is available via the Konica Minolta Download Selector. Access the Selector from SSD Web Support (CS Expert Support) by clicking on 'Download MSDS, Drivers, Firmware and more'.
b. Expect more communication problems than with an ISDN or analog line (approximately 15% more).

Workaround:
If the aforementioned settings do not show an acceptable result, offer as alternative:

Unimessage Pro Fax Server SolutionŽ where Scan to E-mail with auto prefix-suffix setting is used (depending on the machine series, prefix-suffix will be added automatically or can be selected manually).
RightFax ServerŽ with "Setup Utility for RightFax" using OpenAPI

rnelson
07-25-2012, 04:25 AM
We just had a customer change to a VOIP system and suddenly find their (previously working) C452 stopped faxing. You could hook a phone to the phone jack of the fax card and ring both out and receive incoming voice calls plus hear the dial tone when you pressed the Offhook tab on the Scan/Fax screen. But faxes wouldn't reliably come or go, especially receiving. Imagetech's post above did the trick as it's from a Konica Minolta TAD bulletin even though "officially" they won't support fax over VOIP. I only had to set the first 4 of the 5 steps described. In addition to that, in the first step I shut off the V8/V34 protocol as well. Also in Service Mode/Fax/Network, under Network Settings 2 I turned Dial Detection to OFF. For the Network Settings 1 button I changed the settings from "No. of times" to "Time" and for the Network Settings 3 button I had to set the Psuedo-RBT Format to "JP" (that button wasn't on another C452 with the FK-502 though). Note: Be SURE you turn the main power switch off then on after making fax setting changes in Service Mode as I found this affected things. In Administrator Settings/Fax Settings/Line Parameter/Dialing Method I had to change from "20pps"to "PB" (which should be the default anyway). And in the User Settings for the fax settings I recommend you use MMR as the encoding type. This allowed me to keep the TX and RX speeds at 14400 (with V.17) and send through with scan settings of 300dpi reliably. Further note: even though I used a normal phone on the phone port of the fax card for dial tone and correct line number testing, I had to disconnect it to get the fax card to work reliably. I assume there's a further setting if you need to hang a normal phone off it also (possibly the "Auto switch between Fax/Phone"?). Also, Konica Minolta states that you need to use only a 2-core telephone cable to connect the MFP to the wall jack (the one with 2 center wires only and not the usual one with 4 wires). Ensure you're using that. Thanks, Imagetech, for your helpful post. :cool:

rnelson
07-25-2012, 04:55 AM
As was mentioned earlier, don't overlook checking/upgrading the fax firmware as with the FK-502 specifically it should be up to the fax controller "G02-13-000" version if you're going to use it with VOIP (that should be bundled in with all main firmware changes since at least the main "G00-D1" firmware). There's some KM doco about needing this level of fax controller firmware to prevent faults if used within VOIP environment. Also note that KM has firmware for numerous other fax cards that address issues with VOIP that supposedly allow them to be used, going back even to the 7022 or 7145...so (besides using the 2-core telephone cable), one of the first recommended steps is to ensure you've got a new enough version of fax firmware that will better support faxing within VOIP. Yeah, I know, it's "not officially supported" and there's not guarantees, etc. but KM does have firmware and recommended steps to deal with it. Try that at least.

Custom Search