PDA

View Full Version : Ru-513

Custom Search

Vikingrepairguy
01-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Ive noticed a few of the bigger 8 series machines that when you run larger jobs, like 100-200 pages jobs that eventually once the Ru warms up it starts to get some movement on the right side of the unit, then the paper starts making a different noise and soon after that it jams up in the Ru unit. I know there is a bulletin #10911 that applies to serial numbers A87JWY2105445-A87JWY2108920 but these units a well out of that range. The jam codes are 32-05, 75-42, 72-16. I placed a call with konica and they had me check all the usual suspects,which all check out fine as this is a brand new C458 and if I direct the output to tray 3 or the top of the Ru it will run till the tray is full, switch it back to the regular output tray and boom guaranteed it will jam up after the movment and paper noise starts! Anyone else notice this and when testing these please make sure you run 100-200 copies through them, Im sure customers will hate you if they have this problem and you do the basic maintenance

swags
09-04-2018, 04:50 PM
We are having the same issues on the 8 series. and KM tech support and the tech pubs have not been helpful. I can use a RU-513 from the 4 series and the machine runs no jamming. Were you able to solve your issue?

mo0651
09-04-2018, 05:06 PM
We had the small entrance guide on the finisher warp. Once it was replaced problem went away.:cool:

ecode
09-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Ive noticed a few of the bigger 8 series machines that when you run larger jobs, like 100-200 pages jobs that eventually once the Ru warms up it starts to get some movement on the right side of the unit, then the paper starts making a different noise and soon after that it jams up in the Ru unit. I know there is a bulletin #10911 that applies to serial numbers A87JWY2105445-A87JWY2108920 but these units a well out of that range. The jam codes are 32-05, 75-42, 72-16. I placed a call with konica and they had me check all the usual suspects,which all check out fine as this is a brand new C458 and if I direct the output to tray 3 or the top of the Ru it will run till the tray is full, switch it back to the regular output tray and boom guaranteed it will jam up after the movment and paper noise starts! Anyone else notice this and when testing these please make sure you run 100-200 copies through them, Im sure customers will hate you if they have this problem and you do the basic maintenance

We have had the same issue. Konica rep came by and said they were working on a fix. I have removed the metal frame support on the bottom side of the ru and installed washers under the four outermost screws. the innermost screws do not add washers. when reassembled it removes the bow. also on the upper guide i install a washer underneath each screw there which increases the gap for the paper to enter. it works great. good luck

B0265
11-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Any news from KM about a fix?

mo0651
11-07-2018, 02:18 PM
KM released a FOC parts on this. They put some washers in the RU unit to assist with Jamming. The codes you listed are exactly what is on the bulletin. Order some!:cool:

SUPERMIGHTYZ
11-07-2018, 03:30 PM
It is possible to have bulletin n. 10911?

Thanks

tech51
11-07-2018, 06:00 PM
In the uk our bulletin says to cut down the higher posts so that the reinforce plate sits flat.
Seems a better solution to me.

tsbservice
11-07-2018, 07:23 PM
In the uk our bulletin says to cut down the higher posts so that the reinforce plate sits flat.
Seems a better solution to me.

Off topic:
Obvious things are hard to be understood by Japanese. They always seems to think too much, which is not bad but in many cases leads to ridiculous solutions or just too complicated.

B0265
11-08-2018, 10:10 AM
KM released a FOC parts on this. They put some washers in the RU unit to assist with Jamming. The codes you listed are exactly what is on the bulletin. Order some!:cool:
I don't have access to this bulletin, do you put the washers under the metal frame on the bottom side?

I have seen the UK/European bulletin tech51 mentioned but in our case (C458 + FS-536SD) the base frame is flat so there is no need to cut any plastic.
We even replaced the the RU but the jamming still starts after about 100 pages.

KMFLT3CH
11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Here's the info I have on it.

Follow the official bulletin and also the other document has you put a felt pad where the upper cover rests when closed. Do both. Someone told me the metal washers by the hinge was an old fix, I'm not sure if it has to be done or not. I just did one today (8 plastic washers on plate + the felt pad) so we shall see how it works.

I don't see how the washers do anything though.

srvctec
11-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Exactly my thought when we got the bulletin a few weeks ago. I don't see how this "fix" will actually do anything to remedy the jamming issue. Doesn't make sense to me.

907tec
11-08-2018, 10:14 PM
I have only dealt with this once, so my sample size is small, but I did not have any success with the washer mod outline in the bulletin. We received a new c458 and a new c558 with finishers/ru/etc a few weeks ago. Started getting this jam code right out of the box. After anywhere from 75-300 continuous pages, each machine would start to jam at RU513 entrance. Despite my RU's supposedly being in the "fixed" serial number range, I ordered the FOC washer kit. No improvement. Tried modifying the RU entrance so it had a wider entrance with moderate success, but still not good enough that I felt comfortable delivering to our customer. I put thousands and thousands of pages through these machines trying to get those goddamn RU513's to work reliably. In the end, I gave up. I dusted off two "old style" RU513's from my graveyard. I had ZERO problems after installing the "old" RU's, even though they were dirty and scratched up.

Rumor is that the manufacturer changed the composition of the plastic, leading to excessive warping of the entrance guides.

Somewhat related, it kinda seems like the newer 8 series runs "hot" around the fusing unit. Not sure if it is an issue with the ducting, the "quiet" fans, or just poor design, but it seems like the 8's get hotter in that area than the 4's.

SUPERMIGHTYZ
11-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Here's the info I have on it.

Follow the official bulletin and also the other document has you put a felt pad where the upper cover rests when closed. Do both. Someone told me the metal washers by the hinge was an old fix, I'm not sure if it has to be done or not. I just did one today (8 plastic washers on plate + the felt pad) so we shall see how it works.

Thanks! :)

howard1234
11-15-2018, 04:49 PM
We are also having the same problems as above.We noticed that when we run it from tray one in service mode its ok,but when we run it from the PC-415 it jams all the time

copytechman
11-24-2018, 04:54 PM
We are also having the same problems as above.We noticed that when we run it from tray one in service mode its ok,but when we run it from the PC-415 it jams all the time

A Brand new ru513 isn't the same as from the older series this I can confirm, especially at the entrance side, it bows due to heat, I applied 4 1/16 in approx washers on the 4 corners of the metal plate at the bottom of the unit under the plate. Then screwed it all down, pulls the middle away to counter the bowing. Haven't heard back from it yet. Piss poor design imho.

RegardsA.

antone
11-25-2018, 11:25 PM
Their's a Bulletin on the Konica Web site!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

B0265
11-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Their's a Bulletin on the Konica Web site!

Does this bulletin give any new information?

907tec
11-26-2018, 07:05 PM
I'm not seeing any new bulletin related to this, can you provide the document ID#?

EarthKmTech
11-28-2018, 11:50 PM
the injection mould was screwed up at the area of the metal reinforcement plate at the bottom side of the entrance.

the 2 middle posts are supposed to be flush with the reinforcement ribbing and not protruding to the same height as the outer 4.

The newly installed reinforcement plate (not used on early versions) has only holes for the screw threads for the centre 2 and not for the posts like the outer 4. It results in the entrance being bowed in at the middle and paper jamming around 100 pages onwards. The issues been known about for a couple months now.

They made a replacement plate available for affected units or you can simply drill out the centre holes in the plate yourself (for the posts to come through the middle 2 holes like the outers). The fix is a 100% success.

Just look at the entrance of an RU out of the box, the entrance upper and lower should be parallel, not bowed in. Its only a certain batch and has since been fixed.

srvctec
12-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Pretty sure I've fixed this issue for good.

I don't think the curved guides have anything to do with the jamming and never did. I think KM is just grasping at straws trying to blame the jams on the poor quality control of the moldings. We have a brand new RU-513 in our shop, installed on a machine that hasn't been sold yet. The bottom entrance guide is very curved but only at the very entrance, not far enough that any washers or anything short of deforming the metal plate a whole bunch, will correct. Of course trying that might cause other issues like binding of the rollers under (above) the metal plate.

I also had a customer in my service area with a brand new (installed just a few weeks ago) C368 that in the first week started having the classic RU-513 jams that were brought up here (our first time with any of these RU-513 issues, knock on wood). It started having 7543, 7542, and 3205 jam codes pretty consistently over a few days. Attached are the photos of the jam counter history prior to working on it for the jamming. The entrance guide on this RU-513 is perfectly straight, so I knew the bent guides couldn't be the issue. I took the RU-513 all apart and examined everything, resecured the plug to RU entrance sensor PS2 (positive that wasn't the issue but I always resecure plugs/connectors because many times over the years, that has fixed issues) which is the only sensor right in the middle of the paper path in the RU. I noticed that the actuator didn't pop up very fast like the spring didn't have enough oomph to quickly pop it back up. I decided to bent the leg of the spring that contacts the RU housing, in a fashion to increase the pressure applied to the actuator. (See attached photos.) I checked the RU-513 in our office and it felt just as weak as the one in my customer's office. I performed the same mod to the spring just to make sure it doesn't have issues. This is a quick, 5 minute mod and if any of our other machines have the same jamming issue, will be easy to cure. I just would like to have more than one sample to prove this fixes the issue but it sure has seemed to cure it for my customer.

They have run thousands through the machine, without it jamming, since I did this mod to the spring. Before my mod, the most they ran was 2,430 without a machine jam.

ecode
12-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Konica sent a rep to our dealership to check on the mod i had made to our failing relay units. They adopted a similar fix with washers and then modified new inventory. Works perfectly. Bulletin issued.

B0265
12-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Konica sent a rep to our dealership to check on the mod i had made to our failing relay units. They adopted a similar fix with washers and then modified new inventory. Works perfectly. Bulletin issued.
Can you please share this bulletin, I can't it on KM Europe's InfoHub.

ecode
12-21-2018, 02:33 PM
The bulletin number is 11384 on Konica support

srvctec
06-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Pretty sure I've fixed this issue for good.

I don't think the curved guides have anything to do with the jamming and never did. I think KM is just grasping at straws trying to blame the jams on the poor quality control of the moldings. We have a brand new RU-513 in our shop, installed on a machine that hasn't been sold yet. The bottom entrance guide is very curved but only at the very entrance, not far enough that any washers or anything short of deforming the metal plate a whole bunch, will correct. Of course trying that might cause other issues like binding of the rollers under (above) the metal plate.

I also had a customer in my service area with a brand new (installed just a few weeks ago) C368 that in the first week started having the classic RU-513 jams that were brought up here (our first time with any of these RU-513 issues, knock on wood). It started having 7543, 7542, and 3205 jam codes pretty consistently over a few days. Attached are the photos of the jam counter history prior to working on it for the jamming. The entrance guide on this RU-513 is perfectly straight, so I knew the bent guides couldn't be the issue. I took the RU-513 all apart and examined everything, resecured the plug to RU entrance sensor PS2 (positive that wasn't the issue but I always resecure plugs/connectors because many times over the years, that has fixed issues) which is the only sensor right in the middle of the paper path in the RU. I noticed that the actuator didn't pop up very fast like the spring didn't have enough oomph to quickly pop it back up. I decided to bent the leg of the spring that contacts the RU housing, in a fashion to increase the pressure applied to the actuator. (See attached photos.) I checked the RU-513 in our office and it felt just as weak as the one in my customer's office. I performed the same mod to the spring just to make sure it doesn't have issues. This is a quick, 5 minute mod and if any of our other machines have the same jamming issue, will be easy to cure. I just would like to have more than one sample to prove this fixes the issue but it sure has seemed to cure it for my customer.

They have run thousands through the machine, without it jamming, since I did this mod to the spring. Before my mod, the most they ran was 2,430 without a machine jam.

Just an update since almost 6 months have passed after my modification of the spring. Zero jam codes related to this problem with the RU-513 have occurred since my modifications. I'd say that it's fixed and proves in this case, the issue was a weak actuator spring. Might also be the issue in many other similar cases with the same jam codes/symptoms.

srvctec
06-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Just an update since almost 6 months have passed after my modification of the spring. Zero jam codes related to this problem with the RU-513 have occurred since my modifications. I'd say that it's fixed and proves in this case, the issue was a weak actuator spring. Might also be the issue in many other similar cases with the same jam codes/symptoms.

One final update on this. Zero issues with it since I did the fix above in post #21.

Custom Search