PDA

View Full Version : C654E Cyan devloper suck

Custom Search

swaggen
03-11-2018, 06:37 AM
I have 3 c654. We run them pretty hard. With no problems. Recently we have been printing lots of postcards/double sided with large pictures on them. The Cyan IU are failing at half life. They are maintained and all sensors cleaned. I do manual toner add as much as I can. I still feel like the toner hoppers are running a low. Gradients being done every day. What else could be causing the developer suck? Can I make any adjustments for increasing toner add? Firmware has been updated. I am at a loss and about to spend 50k on 3 C7000. Help

allan
03-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Does the machine code out?
If it is the case that it cant get enough toner on time the TCR level will fall below 4% and an error will be given.

swaggen
03-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Does the machine code out?
If it is the case that it cant get enough toner on time the TCR level will fall below 4% and an error will be given.

Nope No error. Just a crap copy, lines. Add developer and good for a bit, but happens again.

allan
03-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Are you resetting the image units?
Make sure all the image process adjustments are on default.
What is the TCR value under <state confirmation> <level history1>

copyman
03-11-2018, 02:57 PM
When you say "add developer" , I'm assuming you are talking about aftermarket developer because I'm not aware of any dev from Kon/Min for that model? Are you using genuine K/M toner? If you are using aftermarket of either toner or dev that is your problem. I have never had good results with aftermarket, especially developer.
I'm assuming you are a print shop, if so that is more reason to use genuine supplies to maintain consistent print quality to sell to customers. "pay more now, or a lot more later"
I have print shops with that same machine. They run big jobs on them, mostly 12x18 thick stock. They use genuine IU's and toners. They chip/reset IU's at least once. Not sure how much more you would expect from these consumables? I have one C654 (reg paper) with 1.5 mil clicks and have the same color IU's, fuser etc. Have only changed black drum a few times.

allan
03-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Was assuming u got the developer from old tanks?

swaggen
03-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Was assuming u got the developer from old tanks?

Yes, using developer from old units. They are sucking developer at half life and then going south. I see the issue more of a toner lack?, Hopper units seem close to empty. There are older IU in the machine lasting double the life. We are not setting them just running them.

Its the large pictures on the prints that is causing this. Do not have a problem when we ran normal text.

swaggen
03-11-2018, 05:35 PM

From what I understand they dont need a chip rest? You can continue to run them.

I will assure default and discover the TCR value today

swaggen
03-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Well TCR values are all at 0, Im assuming because of the graduation and cleaning I was doing yesterday. I printed 40 copies with lots of color. All values now at 6-7

I will run them the majority of the day tommorrow and re test

Because one side the postcard is multiple large and random pictures.... will developer wear out sooner? causing the Electrical charge on the imager to increase and release developer? Just as occurs when in at end of life cycle when the developer is shot?

Synthohol
03-12-2018, 01:32 AM
OEM toner has developer in it so it does not run out.
i only see issues like this online from:
leaking white bushing(s) rarely
non OEM supplies frequently
running a drum over 175-200%
bad front side board.

mainly dirt-in-a-bottle aftermarket toner.

good luck.

swaggen
03-12-2018, 03:29 AM
OEM toner has developer in it so it does not run out.
i only see issues like this online from:
leaking white bushing(s) rarely
non OEM supplies frequently
running a drum over 175-200%
bad front side board.

mainly dirt-in-a-bottle aftermarket toner.

good luck.

I only use OEM. No IU leaking. We are talking 50% usage and failure. Nursed along with DV from other used OEM units. Front side board on all 3 units at once? Possible. All printers are on there own circuit.

Best way I can describe problem, my guess is toner being used faster than resupplied. cyan dev suck when low on toner. Any way to increase frequency of Stabilization during print? I add toner manually and hopper 2 times a day.

Synthohol
03-12-2018, 04:42 AM
maybe if right before big runs you can try initialize and stabilization and gradations.
give it some fresh numbers to work with.
there is also something to select quality over production which may pause more often to add toner and auto-stabilize? i forget where that is.

also maybe this?

swaggen
03-12-2018, 04:59 AM
maybe if right before big runs you can try initialize and stabilization and gradations.
give it some fresh numbers to work with.
there is also something to select quality over production which may pause more often to add toner and auto-stabilize? i forget where that is.

also maybe this?

I will look for that. Would a thicker paper setting be effective?

allan
03-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Resting the units in some machines sets the aging compensation back to default. If the compensation runs out of range on overused tanks....

swaggen
03-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Resting the units in some machines sets the aging compensation back to default. If the compensation runs out of range on overused tanks....

You lost me on that one... but I want to know more?....

allan
03-12-2018, 05:17 PM
As some of the parts gets older the voltages goes up or down to compensate for age. Like the drum charge voltage and the development bias voltage.
If these voltage goes over or under to much it could cause the developer to transfer or dump.

The guys like to change the dip switches to make the over-life warnings not to show. I have seen how these machines gives trouble.
I do let these the parts go over but i prefer to reset the units.

There is very little information about aging compensation on these machines.
KM did put a warning out that the HV power supplies can only push out a certain amount of voltage/current and will cause trouble if parts goes for to long.

swaggen
03-12-2018, 05:40 PM
As some of the parts gets older the voltages goes up or down to compensate for age. Like the drum charge voltage and the development bias voltage.
If these voltage goes over or under to much it could cause the developer to transfer or dump.

The guys like to change the dip switches to make the over-life warnings not to show. I have seen how these machines gives trouble.
I do let these the parts go over but i prefer to reset the units.

There is very little information about aging compensation on these machines.
KM did put a warning out that the HV power supplies can only push out a certain amount of voltage/current and will cause trouble if parts goes for to long.

How do you reset the units? New chips?

Like the drum charge voltage and the development bias voltage - The VDC for all IU is in the 230-375 range

Here is an example on the lines, New Cyan, Stabilizer resolves a bit. All other imagers have life. Can crap paper cause this as well? Actually setting the paper size to appropriate thick paper setting causes a less quality print. So bizarre.

Picture on the left has quality issues. The one on the right does not. Same sheet.

Dropbox - 20180312_091726.jpg (https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqyclzo8uk6nxka/20180312_091726.jpg?dl=0)

allan
03-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Do a cyan half-tone at 125.

well you said that the unit still got life. So i was not thinking straight.

swaggen
03-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Do a cyan half-tone at 125.

well you said that the unit still got life. So i was not thinking straight.

1) How do you reset when life bars are gone? Chip? tool ? or machine?

2) Per that picture I sent. I just now discovered that the drum roller toast and 60% life, probably due to old clumpy toner . I buy OEM form a reseller. I need to switch that.

3) Why would slowing the print down cause a wide strip problem in the cyan, ( low developer) but resolve on faster plain paper print? The paper is card stock.

Phil B.
03-12-2018, 07:04 PM
I have 3 c654. We run them pretty hard. With no problems. Recently we have been printing lots of postcards/double sided with large pictures on them. The Cyan IU are failing at half life. They are maintained and all sensors cleaned. I do manual toner add as much as I can. I still feel like the toner hoppers are running a low. Gradients being done every day. What else could be causing the developer suck? Can I make any adjustments for increasing toner add? Firmware has been updated. I am at a loss and about to spend 50k on 3 C7000. Help

you didn't give us much to go on....

what is the life counts on the consumables? total page count? total years in service? what have you done except manual toner adds?

Custom Search