PDA

View Full Version : C6500 install. Fiery and driver cannot locate Printers IP address.

Custom Search

swaggen
03-24-2018, 02:00 AM
This is a first , Tech cannot come until next week. We took delivery of a bit older machine.

We have 5 printers in total at our shop . Never has there been a challenge getting a printer connected to the server.

I have tried the Universal Driver
Konica driver
And the Fiery Software workstation cannot locate the IP

What gives here.... where the heck do I start?

Synthohol
03-24-2018, 12:21 PM
print the config page from the fiery and check the IP address.
it may just be on a different subnet from the previous owner.

raplma
03-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Not knowing your network structure nor hardware set-up you'll have to take what I suggest with a measure of salt as it may or may not have any relevance.
Also I am not a techy, but I do know your pain, and am the one who is tasked with fixing and maintaining our network and print machines.

At the end of last year we picked up a c6501 to add to our 'fleet' of machines. Upon installation we found that it was not seen on the network, we also had the added complication that the fiery controller was booting up, but not connecting to the machine so we were unable check or change the network settings of the fiery.

So at the risk of 'teaching you to suck eggs' as we say in England...

Check the network settings of the fiery: the default gateway, DNS and IP address - we use fixed/reserved IP's - are all in-line and range as your DHCP server settings.
BTW our DHCP server is a very simple modem router, and logging into it through a browser these details are readily available - and looking at it's client list the fiery was not there either.
I say this because we used an IP scanner - software freely available online - which picked up the printer, and showed that it's IP - which had been set by the previous company - was outside the range of our DHCP server, it was something like 192.168.1.xxx rather than our 192.168.0.xxx. Now, not being able to change the network settings of the fiery via the printers interface, the way I connected to it, was by changing our network to accommodate the fiery's IP range. I achieved this by disconnecting all other network connections bar one PC, changed the range of the DHCP server to that of the printer, rebooted the PC to change it's IP to within the new range and was then able to see the Fiery through the internet browser. Command workstation on the same PC would then see the fiery, CWS then told me why the printer could not see the controller....another story. There may well be a better way of achieving this but this is what I did.

Regarding drivers - We downloaded the correct drivers from the EFI Fiery website EFI - Downloads - Support & Downloads (http://www.efi.com/en-gb/support-and-downloads/downloads/)
The specific drivers for these older machines were still readily available a few months ago.

Check that the version of command workstation is compatible with your drivers.
So for us the latest CWS is not compatible with the older fiery devices, and we have four, off hand I cannot remember which version we use, but again previous versions are readily available through the EFI Fiery website.

As I said a few simple suggestions, if they help great, if not I'm sure a more comprehensive response isn't too far away.

Mark

Synthohol
03-24-2018, 02:32 PM
fierys come with the drivers hosted on its own web page.
open a browser (once you get the IP address) and select downloads.
the printer files are there, both drivers and CWS.
also most importantly, once the driver is installed change the port to LPR and type Print as the queue name.
so many printing issues solved by using the correct port.

swaggen
03-24-2018, 07:40 PM
fierys come with the drivers hosted on its own web page.
open a browser (once you get the IP address) and select downloads.
the printer files are there, both drivers and CWS.
also most importantly, once the driver is installed change the port to LPR and type Print as the queue name.
so many printing issues solved by using the correct port.

I download the fiery workstation and all components. The Fiery Software is System 8 release 2. I could not find drivers for the specific to that.

No Ip scan can come up with the IP address. I changed the printers IP address to a lower range like the others it identifies and nothing.

Something is preventing the Printer from releasing the IP address?

Synthohol
03-24-2018, 07:56 PM
ok, please PRINT the config page.
if the IP scheme is different than the local IP, subnet or gateway either fix it on the copier panel or reconfigure one PC to a similar scheme and log on to the fiery web page and select launch configure.
from there you can manually assign the IP that will work on your network, just dont forget to set the PC back after the fiery reboots to make the changes.
dont worry about drivers yet, connectivity is more important.
also the drivers are hosted ON THE FIERY. when you go to the fiery IP in a browser one of the choices is to download the drivers RIGHT FROM THE FIERY.

if a manual address (preferred always) is already on the fiery there is no release. only change to another IP or DHCP (eecchh)

also which fiery? the tower or the one bolted to the back?

also im very fiery fanboy, if i sounded too emphatic with the capital letters and all just know im not trying to be a smartass, i just love the simplicity of fiery and its usefulness.

swaggen
03-24-2018, 08:24 PM
ok, please PRINT the config page.
if the IP scheme is different than the local IP, subnet or gateway either fix it on the copier panel or reconfigure one PC to a similar scheme and log on to the fiery web page and select launch configure.
from there you can manually assign the IP that will work on your network, just dont forget to set the PC back after the fiery reboots to make the changes.
dont worry about drivers yet, connectivity is more important.
also the drivers are hosted ON THE FIERY. when you go to the fiery IP in a browser one of the choices is to download the drivers RIGHT FROM THE FIERY.

if a manual address (preferred always) is already on the fiery there is no release. only change to another IP or DHCP (eecchh)

also which fiery? the tower or the one bolted to the back?

also im very fiery fanboy, if i sounded too emphatic with the capital letters and all just know im not trying to be a smartass, i just love the simplicity of fiery and its usefulness.

I have the config page. NO scanning can locate the IP. I changed the IP ON THE copier, to reflect an IP in range of the others. NOTHING. Bolted on the back... looks like a print controller.

swaggen
03-24-2018, 08:27 PM
I have the config page. NO scanning can locate the IP. I changed the IP ON THE copier, to reflect an IP in range of the others. NOTHING. Bolted on the back... looks like a print controller.

Im failing to see how this is so simple :) . I have also located the drivers and fiery for the 6500 and download them.

There must be something very simple,.. and very dumb that I am missing.

Synthohol
03-24-2018, 08:28 PM
copier IP is completely irrelevant, fiery IP is only what you need

swaggen
03-24-2018, 10:24 PM
copier IP is completely irrelevant, fiery IP is only what you need

Ok, I have downloaded all the needed drivers. I know its not needed yet....

But how am I to locate the Fiery IP address? The Fiery IP is not generating an IP yet. I have scanned for all available IPs. They are all accounted for,.. nothing coming from the Fiery or Printer.

The workstation asks for an IP address. That is where I am at now.

Synthohol
03-24-2018, 11:13 PM
touch the controller tab at the bottom of the screen, scroll for "print pages" then select "config page"
thats the fiery IP on that page.

swaggen
03-25-2018, 12:02 AM
touch the controller tab at the bottom of the screen, scroll for "print pages" then select "config page"
thats the fiery IP on that page.

The problem here is that I have, and have had this IP address. The problem is still the same. I scan the network , enter it in,... It doesn't matter. Its not recognized. This IP address cannot be located. I enter a new one? It cannot be located. No matter what I do, how I do it... The printer and its IP , no matter the number associated with it is not seen. if I enter with in range of my other IP address. NOTHING. IP address is not the problem. Recognition is.

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 12:26 AM
where is the network cable plugged in?
do you see 00 on the fiery LED?

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 12:39 AM
what it should look like, i have a pair im using for a NAS. (still 100% functional and patched to the latest.)
http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/39239d1521934769-c6500-install-fiery-driver-cannot-locate-printers-ip-address-twins-jpg

swaggen
03-25-2018, 12:58 AM
what it should look like, i have a pair im using for a NAS. (still 100% functional and patched to the latest.)
http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/39239d1521934769-c6500-install-fiery-driver-cannot-locate-printers-ip-address-twins-jpg

The first/top slot was open. Not plastic plug.

So I connected to the top to the network 1 g switch with all the other printers.

Then I connected it to the router.

Always had a green and orange.

Then I did the same with the bottom. Both green. Both switch and then router.

Same result.

00 on fiery.

swaggen
03-25-2018, 01:49 AM
where is the network cable plugged in?
do you see 00 on the fiery LED?

I called my cable company. They see the IP address. Yet I cant see it with any scanner and I type it in to fiery ... goose eggs. It cant see it either.

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 04:30 AM
did you try a browser?
did you get a config page from the fiery not the copier?

swaggen
03-25-2018, 05:04 AM
did you try a browser?

Yes on fiery. Browser no.?

swaggen
03-25-2018, 07:34 AM
did you try a browser?

Even if I turn off the fiery. I cannot find the Printers IP. I want rid of Fiery. I just want to print, I already hate this thing!! :)

raplma
03-25-2018, 02:23 PM
What would really help us be more specific in what to try, would be if you can post a few pics of your hardware and software setup - if permissible - while you wait for the tech to arrive.

Regards the fiery, it will be well worth the battle, because printing through the fiery you have considerable more control, colours, density, shifting etc. Also, these older production machines don't have the automated calibration and backup image shift as their more modern cousins, and fine tuning is available through the CWS and fiery.

So, if I may suggest a few pics to post...

Post a picture of the config page that Synthohol (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/synthohol.html) mentioned printing out in a previous post.
Post a pic(s) of the printers control/input screen that shows the network settings
Post a pic(s) of the actual fiery/print controller you have - ensure it includes the model number and connections
- the ones we have look different to the one previously posted, the '00' is green and on top rather than on the cable side
- you should have had the fiery manual with the machine which will confirm which of the two ethernet ports you should use, and connect to one not both.
Post a pic of the ipconfig of your modem/router and/or the ipconfig page from a PC

FYI - our modem router never lists any of our Fiery's in its connected client list - this is most likely due to the fact that the Fiery never asks for an IP as it is manually set, however we do add the Fiery MAC address and our chosen IP to the reserved list so that there is no IP address conflict.

As you say it is quite likely to be something simple which for us not being there have been unable to pin point.
When you do get there please post what resolved it.

Mark

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 03:41 PM
The machine cannot print on its own. It needs a fiery or the cappy ic 601 controller.
We have to get the fiery to print a configuration page. Please post one once you do that and we can go from there.
I think there is hope but I need pics or be very specific.
Take pictures.
You said no to browser. Why? Did you try using the fiery ip in the address bar?
Help me help you.

swaggen
03-25-2018, 06:31 PM
Hey Guys thank you for taking the time to do this.

The browser cannot locate the IP address either. I asked the cable company about the Fiery IP address which is 192.168.3.200 , which they can see that its plugged into my 1 gig switch. Why I cant see it? Even when entering it into my browser is a mystery.

Here is all the pictures you requested.

7ff (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbj518orzd4l5ol/AADFpn8tNcHiujmeiYcHQkora?dl=0)

I had the wrong version of the workstation. I have the correct version now. Still it cannot locate the IP.

I have also tried going straight to the modem/router and bi-passed the switch. Nothing. Same

I will get this POS solved! :)

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 06:38 PM
ok, now we are getting somewhere, run IPCONFIG from a dos prompt and see if the computers wired local area connection IP starts with 192.168.3.x
if any of those 3 are different thats why you cant see it.
let me know.

swaggen
03-25-2018, 06:47 PM
ok, now we are getting somewhere, run IPCONFIG from a dos prompt and see if the computers wired local area connection IP starts with 192.168.3.x
if any of those 3 are different thats why you cant see it.
let me know.

Ok I for some reason cant see where your headed yet...but I am excited.... IP config is in the same link now.

7ff (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbj518orzd4l5ol/AADFpn8tNcHiujmeiYcHQkora?dl=0)

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 06:48 PM
if the other pics in your dropbox are with regard to this post then thats why. your local IP addy is 192.168.0.x
its not the same as the fiery's x.x.3.x subnet.
either find a way to change it in server setup through the LCD panel or manually change a computers IP to 192.168.3.200 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and leave gateway blank, its irrelevant for our purposes.
then open a browser or use CWS and get to the fiery server setup/configure and assign a local IP like 192.168.0.whatever not currently used and unassigned out of the DHCP range)
reboot fiery and you will be 90% there.
let me know.

just happy we made headway today.

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 06:52 PM
in a typical network the first 3 "octets" in an IP must match every other IP based appliance or PC in order to be seen on that "subnet"
the fiery is x.x.3.x but your network is x.x.0.x the 3rd digit or octet is not the same it wont ever be seen on the local network. (x.x.0.x)

swaggen
03-25-2018, 06:54 PM
in a typical network the first 3 "octets" in an IP must match every other IP based appliance or PC in order to be seen on that "subnet"
the fiery is x.x.3.x but your network is x.x.0.x the 3rd digit or octet is not the same it wont ever be seen on the local network. (x.x.0.x)

Ok ,.. what is the suggestion to correct it?

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 06:56 PM
find a way to change it in server setup through the LCD panel or manually change a computers IP to 192.168.3.200 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and leave gateway blank, its irrelevant for our purposes.
then open a browser or use CWS and get to the fiery server setup/configure and assign a local IP like 192.168.0.whatever not currently used and unassigned out of the DHCP range)
reboot fiery and you will be 90% there.
let me know.

i just said it ;)

swaggen
03-25-2018, 07:08 PM
i just said it ;)

The what I understand . The how to fix is the problem for me... .

Ok ... so I need to change it on the fiery?

Create a different network to the proper octets ?

As you can tell Im the least technical person on planet earth.

swaggen
03-25-2018, 07:23 PM
I see no way to change the Fiery IP address.

I see a way to change the Copier IP address.

If I need to set the PC IP.... then Im seeing some way to change it on line. What is does the rest of my network is unclear.

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 07:26 PM
manually change a computers IP to 192.168.3.220 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and leave gateway blank.
then open a browser or CWS and reconfigure the Fiery IP to 192.168.0.200

swaggen
03-25-2018, 08:30 PM
manually change a computers IP to 192.168.3.220 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and leave gateway blank.
then open a browser or CWS and reconfigure the Fiery IP to 192.168.0.200

Ok I think I understand this.

Im changing my IP Address to be in range.

Once I do, I will be able to connect.

Once I am connected, how do I reconfigure the fiery servers IP address?

I will need to change it, to be in range all my other connections that I use....

Synthohol
03-25-2018, 09:16 PM
yes, once command workstation or a browser connects to it with the .3 IP you select configure server. navigate to TCPIP setup and change the IP to something like 192.168.0 150 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask stays at 255.255.255.0
you can also add the DNS server IP which you can get from IPCONFIG /all at a command prompt.
select OK to reboot the fiery, set your computers IP back to either DHCP or whatever it was before and reconnect with command workstation.

we are almost there!

swaggen
03-25-2018, 10:49 PM
yes, once command workstation or a browser connects to it with the .3 IP you select configure server. navigate to TCPIP setup and change the IP to something like 192.168.0 150 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask stays at 255.255.255.0
you can also add the DNS server IP which you can get from IPCONFIG /all at a command prompt.
select OK to reboot the fiery, set your computers IP back to either DHCP or whatever it was before and reconnect with command workstation.

we are almost there!

I did exactly as instructed. NO change. Cannot locate.

swaggen
03-25-2018, 10:54 PM
I did exactly as instructed. NO change. Cannot locate.

I did just reset the fiery and was able to get past the password to enter into set up screen on the machine. I will reverse engineer to setting within my normal range as in msconfig.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 01:24 AM
keep me posted!

swaggen
03-26-2018, 05:52 AM
keep me posted!

Holy F-word cow! it worked!!!... Thank you so much!

I started to print a bunch. ... I love the fiery. Will a fiery help the printing start lag for the 654s print jobs on large files? It takes forever.

After printing a bunch on the 6500,.. Im getting a error of Right door open and C3913. looks like it the pins on The Fuser? f word again.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 12:42 PM
so glad you got it going! thanks for not giving up!
with a fiery, either on the c6500 or the c654 you can use the fiery "import file" feature to let the fiery do all the spooling and ripping which doesw speed up the process on large files.
do you own a densitometer to calibrate the fiery? it will help a huge amount. either the es1000 es2000 or eye1 is the way to go.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Im getting a error of Right door open and C3913. looks like it the pins on The Fuser?
ill look into that later for ya.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 01:43 PM
hey also in print driver properties under ports, did you select configure port then select LPR (port 515) and Print as the queue name?
if you leave it at raw port 9100 thats asking for a headache.

swaggen
03-26-2018, 03:21 PM
hey also in print driver properties under ports, did you select configure port then select LPR (port 515) and Print as the queue name?
if you leave it at raw port 9100 thats asking for a headache.

I just changed it. " Print as the queue name " I gave it a name. But what do you mean by printing as queue name?

I have 3 654s

1 Prints almost any file size we can give it. Same memory size. I even swapped memory , no change .
1 prints 75% of what it should then fails a job.
1 Prints 25% of what it should then fails a job.

Sometimes they restart in the middle of a job.

I think I have the worst tech on the planet and need a new one.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 03:31 PM
this is what i mean.39251 its under printer properties, ports tab, configure port.

swaggen
03-26-2018, 03:35 PM
this is what i mean.39251

Got it, Testing now. What else would cause job to fail due to size? Is not the memory.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 03:43 PM
periodically run a "clear server" from CWS, with freed-up HDD space it just seems to work faster and more reliable.
i would import the job directly to the fiery and print it from there, see if it completes. it will eliminate a network or PC spooling issue.

swaggen
03-26-2018, 03:45 PM
periodically run a "clear server" from CWS, with freed-up HDD space it just seems to work faster and more reliable.
i would import the job directly to the fiery and print it from there, see if it completes. it will eliminate a network or PC spooling issue.

These are 654 units with no Fiery. I have reformatted HD. Nothing seems to work, New Hard drives?

swaggen
03-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Change port. Same issue.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 05:41 PM
is it a PDF? put the job on a flash drive and plug it into the copier USB next to the LCD panel.
an icon should popup asking to print a doc from external memory select it and try to print. see if it still fails.

also only change the fiery to LPR not the x54s

swaggen
03-26-2018, 07:04 PM
is it a PDF? put the job on a flash drive and plug it into the copier USB next to the LCD panel.
an icon should popup asking to print a doc from external memory select it and try to print. see if it still fails.

also only change the fiery to LPR not the x54s

We have certain fonts we print... printing via memory still ... turns it to text. It prints right away and does not fail.

Synthohol
03-26-2018, 11:08 PM
is spool to hdd enabled in printer settings?

swaggen
03-27-2018, 01:06 AM
is spool to hdd enabled in printer settings?

I do not see that under any printer settings.

The error reads as a time out error. I maxed out the time out error on all 3 printers. I updated firmware. Got rid of universal drivers. No change.

Custom Search