PDA

View Full Version : Possible envleope wrinkling solution on 4 and 8 series

Custom Search

BHM
05-08-2018, 08:44 PM
The issue as I see it...

When printing envelopes in Word, the paper type is set at plain and there is no way in Word to select envelope type paper when in Mailings. When selecting plain paper, the envelopes will sometimes wrinkle.

One work around is to set the bypass to envelope type on the machine, send the print job and then at the machine, manually select the bypass. Not a bad solution but some customers still moan and groan.

One solution we just discovered...

1. Set the Bizhub as the default printer.
2. Set the bypass tray on the machine to envelope size (Com10) and envelope type.
3. Default the Bizhub print driver paper type to "Not Specified". See attached pic.

When set to "Not Specified" in the driver, the print job will print using the settings of the bypass tray. This was written hastily so it maybe updated.

Phil B.
05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
The issue as I see it...

When printing envelopes in Word, the paper type is set at plain and there is no way in Word to select envelope type paper when in Mailings. When selecting plain paper, the envelopes will sometimes wrinkle.

One work around is to set the bypass to envelope type on the machine, send the print job and then at the machine, manually select the bypass. Not a bad solution but some customers still moan and groan.

One solution we just discovered...

1. Set the Bizhub as the default printer.
2. Set the bypass tray on the machine to envelope size (Com10) and envelope type.
3. Default the Bizhub print driver paper type to "Not Specified". See attached pic.

When set to "Not Specified" in the driver, the print job will print using the settings of the bypass tray. This was written hastily so it maybe updated.

why not just setup another "printer driver" configured for the mail merge?

copier addict
05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
why not just setup another "printer driver" configured for the mail merge?

Because people who can't seem to choose the bypass tray from the control panel even when they have to be there anyway are really not going to like having to choose a different driver at the time of printing. Can't fix lazy. Lol

mo0651
05-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Does this setting allow the envelopes to print as one job? or do they come across as individuals and you have to stand there and keep telling it a different tray?

Synthohol
05-08-2018, 10:40 PM
i setup a 2nd printer queue defaulting to bypass and C10 all the time. i just call it envelope for customer clarity
also the 8 series you can set to driver paper type priority or machine priority. this can help if they do more than envelopes on the bypass.
if you select driver priority and create a 2nd printer defaulting to above this can work too.

BHM
05-08-2018, 11:12 PM
i setup a 2nd printer queue defaulting to bypass and C10 all the time. i just call it envelope for customer clarity
also the 8 series you can set to driver paper type priority or machine priority. this can help if they do more than envelopes on the bypass.
if you select driver priority and create a 2nd printer defaulting to above this can work too.

We fought with that all day Monday and could not get it to work. No matter how we had that setting, the machine would request Com10 PLAIN paper when printing envelopes in Word.

BHM
05-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Because people who can't seem to choose the bypass tray from the control panel even when they have to be there anyway are really not going to like having to choose a different driver at the time of printing. Can't fix lazy. Lol

Bingo. They will not do it and end up printing on plain paper instead of envelope type paper and then complain about the wrinkles.

rrrohan
05-09-2018, 03:37 AM
Bingo. They will not do it and end up printing on plain paper instead of envelope type paper and then complain about the wrinkles.

There is paper type setting in word under page setup

Also on 8 series I set bypass tray to overwrite driver setting so as long as copier is setup is correct all the driver needs to know is to print to bypass then your copier should print with envelope paper type. Don't think the driver overwrite option is available on 4 series only 8 series

BHM
05-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Also on 8 series I set bypass tray to overwrite driver setting so as long as copier is setup is correct all the driver needs to know is to print to bypass then your copier should print with envelope paper type.

Yeah, we tried this on two 8 series machines and could not get it to work. No matter how we set it, when the envelope job under Mailings was sent, the machine wanted Com10 PLAIN paper.

There is paper type setting in word under page setup

I believe this does not apply to the paper type when in Mailings>Envelopes. I do not see any way of Word switching to Envelope type when in Mailings.

Freestyle604
05-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Yeah, we tried this on two 8 series machines and could not get it to work. No matter how we set it, when the envelope job under Mailings was sent, the machine wanted Com10 PLAIN paper.

I believe this does not apply to the paper type when in Mailings>Envelopes. I do not see any way of Word switching to Envelope type when in Mailings.

The long correct way is to select file, print, (assuming the Konica is selected) and properties after you open word and before you do anything in word. After properties set the media to envelope and paper size to com 10. Then pick close which is next to the ok button, if you pick ok and not close it will go back to the default of plain paper. Now go mailings and envelopes and the driver is set to do media envelopes and paper size com 10. This will only work for envelopes only. If you have someone in word doing a letter with an envelope it will not work. As you cannot set the media for plain and envelope at the same time. I show this to customers all the time, and say if you don't want wrinkles this is how it has to be done. That usually results in them being ok with wrinkles running it on plain paper. Or as others have suggested I setup two print drivers one labeled envelopes. Did I mention I hate envelopes?

Synthohol
05-09-2018, 10:33 PM
the newest version of word does not even have "properties" as an option. it sucks, thats why the 2nd printer queue.

Custom Search