PDA

View Full Version : KM Firmware naming

Custom Search

tsbservice
06-27-2018, 03:07 PM
Hi All,

I'm still learning this brand and have difficulties to understand KM Firmware name convention.
For example I have Firmware G00-R9, went to machine with Firmware G00-54and need to know which one is newer.
Could someone shed some light to me, please.

copier addict
06-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Hi All,

I'm still learning this brand and have difficulties to understand KM Firmware name convention.
For example I have Firmware G00-R9, went to machine with Firmware G00-54and need to know which one is newer.
Could someone shed some light to me, please.

R9 is newer.

Synthohol
06-27-2018, 09:44 PM
normally numbered FW is older than FW with a letter and even that is in alphanumeric order like J8 is older than M0
the other snag is specil FW is all over the map but normally special FW is named GM6-## instead of G00.
only looking at the FW list on KM is the right way to "age" the FW.

mo0651
06-27-2018, 10:50 PM
I think this is where Konica Minolta really struggles. I go by date released. READ all the README files. Half the time you can find special things in the regular firmware. and firmware you
should have in the SPECIAL firmware. (movie data). It changes between models and who programmed it.
I liked Toshiba when I worked on them It would be like 123A, 123B, 123E. Then 124A, 124B.:cool:

rrrohan
06-28-2018, 02:44 AM
I think this is where Konica Minolta really struggles. I go by date released. READ all the README files. Half the time you can find special things in the regular firmware. and firmware you
should have in the SPECIAL firmware. (movie data). It changes between models and who programmed it.
I liked Toshiba when I worked on them It would be like 123A, 123B, 123E. Then 124A, 124B.:cool:

Not to mention all the different function versions.

I dont bother with firmware unless it's going to fix something that customer is concerned with

kingarthur
06-28-2018, 08:34 AM
KM did produce a sheet a few years ago explaining how the FW was labelled, it might be on the infohub, if you go to the infohub and type in "SAL" and then select the model number, the latest FW will always come up, I've started to keep all versions of FW for each model now, as a couple of machines. i've had to roll back a couple of versions to get rid of problems caused by updating

CraigW
06-28-2018, 01:42 PM
^^^ Can you point me to infohubs location ?

Thanks !!

tsbservice
06-28-2018, 06:03 PM
Thank you all guys, especially to Synthohol and kingarthur.
As so far I don't have access to Infohub, I was forced to work only with machine's firmware and those I received(supposed latest, but not necessary).
Soon should gain rights to access Infohub and it will be easy;)

P.S.
With regard to Firmware updating I used to keep machines(Toshibas) at one version before latest(to avoid unexpected bugs/loops).
I'm not familiar with KMs, but with Tosh(and they are also Jap) keeping machines at new Firmware level solved us a LOT of problems - existing and possible.
True, we failed miserably in few occasions, but nevertheless I plan to do it that way with KM.

copier addict
06-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Thank you all guys, especially to Synthohol and kingarthur.
As so far I don't have access to Infohub, I was forced to work only with machine's firmware and those I received(supposed latest, but not necessary).
Soon should gain rights to access Infohub and it will be easy;)

P.S.
With regard to Firmware updating I used to keep machines(Toshibas) at one version before latest(to avoid unexpected bugs/loops).
I'm not familiar with KMs, but with Tosh(and they are also Jap) keeping machines at new Firmware level solved us a LOT of problems - existing and possible.
True, we failed miserably in few occasions, but nevertheless I plan to do it that way with KM.

If you are dealing with an 8 series machine, R9 is not the latest version. There is a U8 version available now.
As a tech, I like to keep the machines in my area up to date with base firmware at least. The special firmware I don't install unless I am experiencing one of the problems it was issued for.

Woxner
06-28-2018, 10:53 PM
one thing about firmware is there are fixes that are not listed in the list of fixes. i had problems with a hospital program they use. turns out special firmware fixed it. but this was not listed. i wont install latest until its out for a month. minolta trainers said samething.

blackcat4866
06-29-2018, 12:28 AM
... i wont install latest until its out for a month. minolta trainers said samething.

That's smart. I came to the same conclusion another way. I happened to be working on a shop machine that our office staff uses, and loaded the latest (today's) firmware. Later that same day I started getting calls from everyone in the office: "Why doesn't the fax work any more?!" The next morning I downgraded the firmware to restore the fax function. Since then I test new firmware on an office machine whenever possible.

=^..^=

Custom Search