PDA

View Full Version : Biz 223 tray 1 jamming J-1101

Custom Search

copyman
07-21-2018, 12:28 AM
Paper feeds barely an inch past the sep roller. Tried 2 different paper feed units, one rebuilt with new rollers and mag clutch "cleaned with contact cleaner", same thing happen. Then took tray 1 from a working machine in the shop and same identical jam. Paper stops same place every time, registering J-1101 in jam history. SM says transport motor, paper tray feed clutch (what are chances of 2 different clutches being bad?), main pwb, registration sensor. I've only had to replace paper feed rollers for jamming on these.

Didn't see anything in the bulletins or solutions

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

copier addict
07-21-2018, 02:06 AM
With this series the first place I would start is removing the registration section and clean or replace the registration bushing. They get gummed up and cause jamming.

rrrohan
07-21-2018, 02:35 AM
With this series the first place I would start is removing the registration section and clean or replace the registration bushing. They get gummed up and cause jamming.

It sounds like it does not even get that far

copyman
07-21-2018, 02:52 AM
Like rrr posted it only feeds less than an inch, "barely" past the sep roller so registration wouldn't come into play. Lead edge stops same place every time. The SM does mention the registration sensor causing J-1101 code, it is the last thing on the list and something I'll probably try. The SM has transport motor first on the list for causing 1101's. Looks like a bitch to get to so might try the easier things first:cool: maybe someone will post that M1 does go bad. Only have maybe 20 of these that I still work on. All low volume so I haven't needed to do much on these. Hopefully flip them all into 224e's within next year.

Thanks again

copier addict
07-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Like rrr posted it only feeds less than an inch, "barely" past the sep roller so registration wouldn't come into play. Lead edge stops same place every time. The SM does mention the registration sensor causing J-1101 code, it is the last thing on the list and something I'll probably try. The SM has transport motor first on the list for causing 1101's. Looks like a bitch to get to so might try the easier things first:cool: maybe someone will post that M1 does go bad. Only have maybe 20 of these that I still work on. All low volume so I haven't needed to do much on these. Hopefully flip them all into 224e's within next year.

Thanks again

If the registration bushings are gummed up the transport motor gets bogged down trying to turn the registration clutch and the feed unit at the same time.

copyman
07-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Thanks copier addict, makes sense. I'll try your suggestion. Is the transport motor M1 exclusive to tray 1? Like I posted tray 2 is feeding fine. Looking in the manual it looks like M1 is for both trays?

Synthohol
07-21-2018, 04:58 PM
the black one way bearings that drive the feed rollers are likely slipping. remove them, scuff up the shafts and clean the bearings with IPA and thats that :)

copier addict
07-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Thanks copier addict, makes sense. I'll try your suggestion. Is the transport motor M1 exclusive to tray 1? Like I posted tray 2 is feeding fine. Looking in the manual it looks like M1 is for both trays?

When using tray two, the feed unit has stopped turning before the registration is fired.

copyman
07-21-2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks again copier addict and Syn. Forgot to mention in original post the rebuilt unit I tried had new one way clutches & shaft scuffed up. This is different than intermittent jams that happen with bad rollers or one ways. Paper is stopping 99% of the time after only feeding 1/2-1". Same exact jam every time. I'm hoping it is something as simple as the reg bushing gummed up. Will report back.

Wanted to add that it was working fine and started jamming few months after customer started using machine. I just sold this off lease machine recently so don't know the history with it. 80k clicks

Synthohol
07-21-2018, 09:40 PM
hey i know it makes a difference from a 423 using a slower feed assy, there is an extra sensor in the 423 feed assy, i wonder if anyone put a 423 feed assy in a slower model if it also causes jamming due to pinout change?

copyman
07-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Update: swapped registration unit with one that had cleaned & lubed bushings and also tray 1 paper drawer. Didn't help. Next I will try replacing M1 transport motor.

copier addict
07-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Update: swapped registration unit with one that had cleaned & lubed bushings and also tray 1 paper drawer. Didn't help. Next I will try replacing M1 transport motor.

Sorry to lead you in the wrong direction. I have had those symptoms and it turned out to be those bushings.

copyman
07-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Copier addict, don't feel that way. If it didn't help this time it most likely will another time. Your reply made sense because I had tried all the easy and obvious normal fixes. Plus the reg rollers were very tight so I thought that was it. What is weird after changing out the complete reg unit the machine fed 50 sheets no jams. Thought it was finally fixed until customer called later that day and said it was doing same thing again.

Like I posted was trying to avoid replacing the M1 motor because it looks like a PIA, but guess that is last thing to try beside the main board. If that don't work I'll give them an LCC and tell them to leave tray 1 empty :cool:

Ado Mmoloki Moepedi
10-30-2023, 03:31 PM
Copier addict, don't feel that way. If it didn't help this time it most likely will another time. Your reply made sense because I had tried all the easy and obvious normal fixes. Plus the reg rollers were very tight so I thought that was it. What is weird after changing out the complete reg unit the machine fed 50 sheets no jams. Thought it was finally fixed until customer called later that day and said it was doing same thing again.

Like I posted was trying to avoid replacing the M1 motor because it looks like a PIA, but guess that is last thing to try beside the main board. If that don't work I'll give them an LCC and tell them to leave tray 1 empty :cool:

Where you ever able to solve this. Having a similar problem on all trays, including the Bypass.

copyman
10-31-2023, 11:01 PM
Where you ever able to solve this. Having a similar problem on all trays, including the Bypass.

My issue was just with tray 1 (top drawer) and turned out to be the mylar guide was in wrong position after I reinstalled the registration unit. Very easy to miss if not aware of it.

If you are having issues with all trays I would look at tight registration rollers, sensor, transport motor, etc. The jam codes should help, especially when jamming from all trays.

Custom Search